It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Country is to the left of England?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Ok I know this sounds really dumb but I am trying to figure out what country is to the left of England. *sigh. Now, my dilema is due to the fact that your left or right had side would be different to where you are at any given point?

lmao

I was born in England which is in the northern hemisphere, so what Country is to the left of it? Because I am in AU now and it is in the southern hemisphere, the directions would be opposite, the other way round? I thought it would be the Countries in Europe...but then started to wonder if that was correct....

anyone here good with geography?

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Wales is connected to the left hand side of England and Ireland is a seperate country across the water from Britain.

This link to an image should explain it better UK Colour Map

edit: Think of the world as being flat, its easy to then figure out where countries are in relation to each other.

[edit on 25-4-2007 by UK Wizard]

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
edit: Think of the world as being flat, its easy to then figure out where countries are in relation to each other.

Well it's really not that simple. The only reason North is at the top of a map is by convention, there's really no inherent reason why South shouldn't be on top or even East or West. So really there's no "right" or "left" in geography. It all depends on your point of view.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Well it's really not that simple. The only reason North is at the top of a map is by convention, there's really no inherent reason why South shouldn't be on top or even East or West. So really there's no "right" or "left" in geography. It all depends on your point of view.

Actually there is, whether by convention or not. With a few exceptions of East-oriented maps made by Arabs, maps have been oriented with the North at the top of the map in modern times. There are some South-oriented maps for people/countries in the Southern Hemisphere, but they are novelty maps, IMO.

UKWizard is right - Wales (and Ireland) are immediately "left" (West) of England.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 07:35 AM
link   
thank you for your help...

I felt really stupid asking it, but really wasnt sure...

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

I have always said something like this, If your in space what ever way you are your always up, Down here, up is different for everyone. I am actually looking off the side of the planet which also is not left or right just outwards. Inwards would be looking at the floor.

So who wants to trek to the outwards pole which would be near Greenland???

top topics

join