It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

74 killed at Chinese-run Africa oil field

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   

74 killed at Chinese-run Africa oil field

news.yahoo.com

By ANITA POWELL, Associated Press Writer
34 minutes ago

ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - Gunmen raided a Chinese-run oil field in eastern Ethiopia on Tuesday, killing 65 Ethiopians and nine Chinese workers, an official of the Chinese company said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   
This could be bad. Chinese ciizens being killed by Islamist insurgents in Ethiopia. I wonder if China will send troops to protect its people?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Tragic but unfortunately not surprising. When i was working in Nigeria helping to set up a mud washing plant it was without doubt the scariest experience of my life. It is a constant battle to keep oil and mud plants as well as other mines from being stormed or taken over.

Within a few days of arriving my mobile was stolen and the Nigerian plant operators wanted to take the culprit outside and shoot him. I literally had to plead with them that it's only a mobile and to leave him alone.

It was one thing after another when i was there, i couldn't wait to leave.

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
This could be bad. Chinese ciizens being killed by Islamist insurgents in Ethiopia. I wonder if China will send troops to protect its people?

The article you posted mentions the unknown gunmen. How do you know that this is the work of Islamic insurgents?

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by yanchek

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

The article you posted mentions the unknown gunmen. How do you know that this is the work of Islamic insurgents?

The article states it could be the ONLF.
en.wikipedia.org...

This where they are from.
en.wikipedia.org...

Ethiopia is Christian nation with a Muslim insurgent minority.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Heres an update:

Ethiopia hunts for kidnapped Chinese oil workers

By Andrew Heavens and Tsegaye Tadesse
Wed Apr 25, 12:18 PM ET

ADDIS ABABA (Reuters) - Ethiopian troops searched on Wednesday for seven Chinese and Ethiopian workers kidnapped in a rebel attack on an oilfield that killed 74 people in a remote and barren southeastern region.

The Ogaden National Liberation Front (ONLF), ethnic Somalis fighting for independence since 1984, claimed responsibility for the pre-dawn raid on the Chinese-run field that was one of the worst attacks yet on Beijing's growing interests in Africa.

the rest is here: news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=Apb8xTy24ID9HtiIrSLTe.hxieAA

top topics

join