It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real-life Kryptonite found in Serbian mine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Real-life Kryptonite found in Serbian mine

news.bbc.co.uk

Researchers from mining group Rio Tinto discovered the unusual mineral and enlisted the help of Dr Stanley when they could not match it with anything known previously to science.

"Towards the end of my research I searched the web using the mineral's chemical formula - sodium lithium boron silicate hydroxide - and was amazed to discover that same scientific name, written on a case of rock containing kryptonite stolen by Lex Luther from a museum in the film Superman Returns."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
ThisIsLondon.co.uk
ThisIsHertfordShire.co.uk
theregister.co.uk

[edit on 24-4-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Discovered in a mine near Jadar in Serbia, the mineral, just verified by scientists at the Natural History Museum to be the genuine article, will surely spell the end of Superman as we know him.

Rofl. It's white, it doesn't even glow, and it came from a Balkan state, not far outer space . . . but I guess it's still kryptonite, right?
It will be called Jadarite, however, because it has nothing to do with the actual element krypton, which I reckon is a bit of a pity.

Between 30 to 40 new minerals are discovered each year, so I wonder what the chances are that one would chemically match the completely made-up mineral from the movies? - or was it 'completely made-up'?!

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24/4/2007 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Yep - SUPERMAN is from Balkans!

Remembers this?

Superman spotted in Serbia

Serbian authorities are investigating reports of a real-life Superman after people claimed to have seen a cloaked figure flying over their houses.

Hundreds of residents in Ljubovija described seeing a cloaked person flying above buildings "as if he had an invisible engine on his back" and changing directions while in mid-air, local daily Blic reported.

Strange indeed.

First this sighting - now Kryptonite found?

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
Between 30 to 40 new minerals are discovered each year, so I wonder what the chances are that one would chemically match the completely made-up mineral from the movies? - or was it 'completely made-up'?!

I found that bizarre, its amazing how much we don't know about our planet.
I couldn't see that claim referenced in your source, so had a little look up.

Approximately 30 to 40 new minerals are discovered each year, but they are rigorously examined to check they are actually new before being recognised by the International Mineralogical Association

Taken from here.

Its not just minerals, there must be tons of new stuff that's being discovered.

On topic, i also find it strange that a fictional mineral can have its properties described in such detail, and be right? all be it under a different name now.

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

Superman spotted in Serbia

Serbian authorities are investigating reports of a real-life Superman after people claimed to have seen a cloaked figure flying over their houses.

OMG!!

LOL

man, that is really weird

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Denied

That figure was taken from a news source which I gave the link to in the "Related News Links" section. I never post information in news articles without providing backup sources.

[edit on 24/4/2007 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks

Originally posted by Denied

That figure was taken from a news source which I gave the link to in the "Related News Links" section. Perhaps you should check that, as that's what it's there for. I never post information in news articles without providing backup sources.

Opps, sorry, my bad.

I didn't check the bottom links.
Interesting thread.

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
If this is a genuine story and not a hoax, why is there no date, nor any acknowlegement of the originator of the story?

I would require more evidence than what seems like nothing more than a blog.

HAs anyone gone as far as to confirm the original report?

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I remember learning in Chem about inert gasses, and how some of them rarely form bonds with most elements cause of their neutral charge, though Xenon does, and it would be extremely hard for Krypton to form bonds w/ the right number of oxygens to give it the "Ite", "Ide", or "Ate" endings. I'm not sure - could be possible.

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
el_madmaster, did you even read the post at all? The mineral found in that mine has nothing at all to do with the actual element.

And deaman88:
News.BBC.co.uk
News.com.a
Forbes.com
Chron.com
News.com.au
CBSNews.com
ABCNews.com
CTV.ca
TechNewsWorld.com
FoxNews.com

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

OMG!!

LOL

man, that is really weird

Damn, I was discovered....

I better hide for a while and stop flying around until this becomes just rumors once more...

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I do hope that Superman is real. At this time, It would be nice to have real super hero. The world would need it

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching_for_truth
I do hope that Superman is real. At this time, It would be nice to have real super hero. The world would need it

Uh Uh... i am staying hidden and more so after people discovered Kryptonite really exists..... I have too many enemies in here that would love to use the kriptonite against me.....

[edit on 24-4-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Well, there is such a thing as white kryptonite in the comics

Hmmm...if those people claimed to have seen a flying humanoid around their homes, then I think we've just discovered the mothman's only weakness: white kryptonite.

top topics

join