It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA releases first 3-D images of Sun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
First 3-D Images of Sun

April 23, 2007—Break out those 3-D glasses and get ready to see the sun in a whole new light.
NASA today released the first three-dimensional images of the sun ever compiled, a feat made possible by the agency's twin Solar Terrestrial Relations Observatory (STEREO) spacecraft.

I'm busy rummaging through the kids toy boxes to see if i can find a pair of three d glasses, i know there here somewhere.
Hopefully this will mean some pretty cool pictures of the sun being released in the future. particularly of some of the large flare eruptions, they would look awesome in 3d.

related link to article on the two STEREO craft with a couple of cool pics.

March 1, 2007—Twin NASA spacecraft studying the sun have beamed their spectacular first images to Earth, helping scientists to detect and track solar storms that can fry satellites, harm astronauts, and overload power lines.
The panoramic images, released today, were taken by a suite of five telescopes on the Solar Terrestrial Relations Observatory (STEREO) spacecraft, which were launched on October 25, 2006.

(edit to add link to previous article)

[edit on 23/4/07 by mojo4sale]

[edit on 23/4/07 by mojo4sale]

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Great images!
Nice thread!

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Thanks blue bird. Looks amazing with 3d glasses.

Whole heap of 3D images of the Sun at NASA web site here, click on the thumbnails for hi-res. Also a few 3D movies and animations of the sun at the same site.

You do need 3D glasses.

Instructions on how to make your own 3D glasses here

And an example of the 3D pics.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Nice thread Mojo4sale and nice pics of the Sun. I'm still trying to find some 3D glasses to look at them better. I might just have to make my own. The Sun has always fascinated me and I can't wait to look at those pics with the 3D glasses on.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Yeh i love the sun, just the raw power of it amazes me.
Looks fantastic through 3d glasses.
I wonder also what other information can be gleaned from this new way of looking at solar images.

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   
NASA video of the STEREO mission.

Explains what they hope to gain from the information STEREO sends back, some cool visuals as well.

new topics

top topics

join