It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it illegal to have a homemade silencer?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:
SM2

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Well, technically no you do not. A class 3 FFL is a dealer license.

•A Class 3 License SOT dealer refers to a dealer of NFA fire-arms
•A Class two SOT manufacturer refers to a manufacturer of NFA fire-arms
•A Class one SOT importer refers to an importer of NFA fire-arms
•Type one FFL pertains to a Title one gunsmith or dealer
•Type two FFL pertains to a Title one dealer conducting business as a pawnbroker
•Type three FFL pertains to an approved collector of Curio & Relic ( CR ) firearms
•Type six FFL pertains to an approved maker of ammo and reloading parts apart from Armor Piercing ammo
•Type seven FFL pertains to a Title one manufacturer of firearms, ammo and ammo elements apart from NFA, Destructive Devices and Armor Piercing ammo Type eight FFL pertains to an importer of Title one firearms and ammo
•Type nine FFL pertains to an FFL dealer in Title one fire-arms to include NFA destructive devices, but not to include other NFA
•Type ten FFL pertains to a maker of Title one firearms, ammo and ammo elements, to include NFA Destructive Devices and no other NFA, and excluding Armor Piercing ammo
•Type eleven FFL pertains to an importer of Title one firearms, ammo and NFA Destructive Devices, but no other NFA

The only one on the list you can aquire without a business license, a store front and a surety bond is the TYPE 3 FFL or CR license. This makes it so you can order direct through a source without doing the transfer at a dealer but ONLY for approved CR weapons which are typically older waepons such as a Mosin Nagant M91 and weapons of the like. To obtain a Class 3 License SOT standing, you will want a dealer or manufacturer FFL that includes Type one, two, seven, eight, nine, ten or eleven – and pay an annual $500 tax due on every July 1.
Heres a link on how to get an actual class 3 FFL
www.ehow.com...
This is a dealers license.

My previous post describes howto obtain or manufacture a suppressor legally.
here is a link to the ATF form 1 that needs to be completed to purchase or manufacture a suppressor ( or to manufacture and register a firearm if you chose to do that) www.atf.gov...
edit on 16-12-2010 by SM2 because: added info

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Damn can't believe Iowa isn't one of those.
2nd

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SM2
reply to post by Aggie Man

Well, technically no you do not. A class 3 FFL is a dealer license.

•A Class 3 License SOT dealer refers to a dealer of NFA fire-arms
•A Class two SOT manufacturer refers to a manufacturer of NFA fire-arms
•A Class one SOT importer refers to an importer of NFA fire-arms
•Type one FFL pertains to a Title one gunsmith or dealer
•Type two FFL pertains to a Title one dealer conducting business as a pawnbroker
•Type three FFL pertains to an approved collector of Curio & Relic ( CR ) firearms
•Type six FFL pertains to an approved maker of ammo and reloading parts apart from Armor Piercing ammo
•Type seven FFL pertains to a Title one manufacturer of firearms, ammo and ammo elements apart from NFA, Destructive Devices and Armor Piercing ammo Type eight FFL pertains to an importer of Title one firearms and ammo
•Type nine FFL pertains to an FFL dealer in Title one fire-arms to include NFA destructive devices, but not to include other NFA
•Type ten FFL pertains to a maker of Title one firearms, ammo and ammo elements, to include NFA Destructive Devices and no other NFA, and excluding Armor Piercing ammo
•Type eleven FFL pertains to an importer of Title one firearms, ammo and NFA Destructive Devices, but no other NFA

The only one on the list you can aquire without a business license, a store front and a surety bond is the TYPE 3 FFL or CR license. This makes it so you can order direct through a source without doing the transfer at a dealer but ONLY for approved CR weapons which are typically older waepons such as a Mosin Nagant M91 and weapons of the like. To obtain a Class 3 License SOT standing, you will want a dealer or manufacturer FFL that includes Type one, two, seven, eight, nine, ten or eleven – and pay an annual $500 tax due on every July 1.
Heres a link on how to get an actual class 3 FFL
www.ehow.com...
This is a dealers license.

My previous post describes howto obtain or manufacture a suppressor legally.
here is a link to the ATF form 1 that needs to be completed to purchase or manufacture a suppressor ( or to manufacture and register a firearm if you chose to do that) www.atf.gov...
edit on 16-12-2010 by SM2 because: added info

Cool! I was only passing along information that I inquired about from an childhood friend, who owns several silencers. He told me that I would need a FFL class 3 collectors license to legally own a silencer...but, that is the permit he has, so maybe he was telling me limited information based upon his licensing status.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999

Originally posted by Dr Love
Does anybody know the laws regarding silencers? Has anybody ever made one? How do you go about getting one that you don't make yourself? Are there interchangeable barrels with a threaded end made for most of today's weapons?

Peace

You went to public school..right?? Television/movie education??

Ok..ok..here goes...

Just in case you fit this bill and have problems thinking outside of the box...check out this Stephen (Cigar) Segal movie.

On Deadly Ground

If you can manage to sit through this demanding video...there are instructions in it for making a one shot silencer. I was surprised to see this in a movie format...but there it was. Here is Stephen (Cigar) Segal... mister nature himself ..peace love and going back to nature...with this info in a movie. Astonishing.

Also if you have the time to educate yourself on basics I suggest you check out the Paladin Press site here on the web. You will find several books on the subject. I am not sure if there are other sites which actually illustrate on line construction techniques.

Another source used to be Desert Publications. I am not sure if they are even in buisness anymore.

Do you have any machinery skills??

The information is out there...just look it up or find the material and read.
Use it at your own risk.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 23-4-2007 by orangetom1999]

[edit on 23-4-2007 by orangetom1999]

The Segal silencer is BS, it does not work trust me!!, Homemade silencers are illegal in all states, you need a class 3 dealers license to obtain one, but get ready to spend huge bucks just to get to the buying point.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Great post very interesting your laws in the USA,do have a star.
As for SBR's there crazy take the PS90 semi auto 5.7x28 carbine Short Barrel Rifle
have you seen that sucker? i do envy the shooting rights you have in your country.

The UK on the other hand is a night mare when it comes to fire arms ownership.
shotguns not so bad, but to be honest your better off not even declaring what you
have if it's never been registered,you have plenty of land,have COMMON SENSE
and Gun safety that's a no-brainer.
This is illegal but i assure you i know a few very responsible people who are all
long time shooters and have done just this. they don't have BIG calibre guns but
feel strongly enough about gun ownership to have to resort to this.
There just country folk, farmers etc who feel this is the only way to keep doing what they love
albeit on a very small scale and they keep it quiet but safe.

it's really not something to brag about but our firearms law is un-realistic and it's
a lot of hassle even when you have the licence.

SM2

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Once again, homemade silencers are not illegal in all states,only states where silencers in general are illegal.
i will say again, ATF form 1, $200 and in the case of a homemade unit a copy of the schematics. You do not need a class 3, as a class 3 is not available to the average citizen you need a store front, a surety bond, a previous type of ffl, the signature and approval of the chief law enforcement officer in your area, business license, the site must have approved storage for the firearms and accessories. The site is subject to inspection by the atf. Now, you also have a type 3, which is curios and relics collectors license which lets you purchase weapons direct from wholesale houses or suppliers as long as the item was manufactured before 1945 ( i think that is the date). Joe the redneck can not have a class 3 as his mobile home is not an approved storage area for a NFA class 3 weapon.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

I know it goes by state but I honestly do not know too much about it.....however.........if your gun has a long barrel well anything like three four inches, take a 3 or 2 litre coke bottle, tape it to the barrel. Only a one shot silencer of course, but works wonders.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Idea: BAD!

Needed: NO!

Nuff said...

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
i think it is in most states in the us. but Im sure if you make it out of every day items that can be quickly dismantled you can smuggle it and hide it in plain site.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join