It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what books to stock in case everthing goes to crap

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 04:27 AM
link   
One thing I haven't seen listed here is a good old cookbook. The first time I browsed my grandmother's 1930's copy of "The Joy of Cooking" I learned how to skin and butcher and animal, how long to let it sit before you cook it, how to preserve foods, how to make food Americans nowadays consider inedible something you can eat and even enjoy; plus an entire list of green growing things that are edible and nutritious. The book also is filled with anecdotal short stories that amuse and teach. Not just about food - but about society.

The newer versions of this book don't have all that information.
If I want to make cookies, I grab my new copy of The Joy Of Cooking. If I want to do any real cooking from scratch, I grab my grandmother's copy. I have another one in safe storage that I bought at a YMCA book sale for $3.

And as a side note: Urine is sterile when it leaves the body, unless the donor has an infection in their urinary tract. In which case, they wouldn't want to pee anyway.

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I have a food preservation book called "Just In Case," but I cannot find it anywhere on the internet.

It's from the early 70's, and I think the author was a member of a religous group that advocates preparations for survival.

It's the only info I've found on preserving eggs. Also the only info for the complete idiot on canning. I'll try to find the publish info when I get back to the house.

[edit on 1-5-2007 by dr_strangecraft]

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 09:41 AM
link   
The book I would take 1st is a little quirky but stuffed with info and everyone should check it out. The Art of Shen Ku by Zeek and I am including a link with reviews, judge for yourself. Shen Ku
I also have some army manuals that are very helpful. If I had any room left I would take some Robert Anton Wilson for "entertainment".

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   
thank you every one for your suggestions. also if you want to preserve eggs have you considered pickiling them in vinegar or tea. they may not smell all that great but they sure taste good with a cold beer also the methane produced from their consumtion i have found from my experience clears a room faster than tear gas. some books i would keep
would be on first aid, general home repair cookbooks with recipes for wild game. and onme on how to fix shoes and make clothes.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   
This is a book that I saw years ago, and it only turned up again recently. The blurb says it all...

LIFE AFTER DOOMSDAY by Bruce D. Clayton, Ph.D.
This unique manual shows you how to survive a nuclear nightmare by providing an exhaustive investigation of survival strategies and of the problems that will face those who survive. The author outlines step-by-step procedures for preparing and defending shelters, storing food, treating illnesses and injuries and understanding the psychology of survival. With its dozens of useful charts, lists, drawings and photos, this book also serves as an excellent reference on surviving any major disaster.
www.paladin-press.com...

If you've ever really wondered how to fortify your house, whether or not you live near a nuclear target area, or a host of other awkward questions, this is the go-to guide that belongs in every BOB.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The Shen Ku book is legit, I'd grab it as well.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I'm still interested in this topic, does anyone have any additional recommendations.

I recently borrowed Dare to Prepare by Holly Deyo
(i wouldn't personally buy it, the preps are beyond what the average person can do, their stock list is craazzzy!!! but there are some good tips within)

I do have the The U.S. Army Survival Handbook
and How to Survive Anything, Anywhere by Chris McNab

I'm looking for a good first aid, basic medical book.. suggestions welcome

[edit on 2-14-2008 by worldwatcher]

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Sas Survival Guide: How To Survive Anywhere, On Land Or At Sea. - John Wiseman

It has just about anything from making a bow and arrow to setting your broken arm on your own and everything in between. AND it's pocketzised so you can take it with you anywhere. I read through it a couple of times and it makes me wanna get up and try it

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I'd recommend a good, detailed book on the edible wild plants in your area. I'd guess that's probably an area of weakness for most people.

A good topographic map of your region would also be very useful, even if its not really a book.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

I'm looking for a good first aid, basic medical book.. suggestions welcome

I'd suggest any textbook used to train paramedics. They get pretty detailed in an understandable way.

For entertainment, I'd like to have my Louis L'Amour collection.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Errmm..everything has ALREADY gone crap! Ever see American Idol??

J.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
For general bush survival the SAS survival Guide is great and it is small with colour pics and everything. It has information on everything from edible plants to some basic first aid.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
My vote, right off the top of my head (others may follow later) would be:

' Secrets of the Soil' by Peter Tompkins and Christopher Bird (of Secret Life of Plants fame)

and some of Charles (Chucky) Cosimano's early books on Psionics.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Smokeing_Gun

For general bush survival the SAS survival Guide is great

I thought bush survival required an election or an impeachment. Oh! Wait! You said general bush. I was thinking of president bush. My bad.

I have probably thousands of survival and homestead related books stored on CD's and DVD's and a laptop stored in an ammo box. One way or another I WILL access them. Been collecting them for years. Check out the cd3wd link in my sig.

[edit on 2/14/2008 by SemperParatus]

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
of course the old classic the anarchist cook book there realy is a lot of interestin info in there that can help you to survive and defend yourself

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I would definately get something on chemistry, probably a few on languages too.

It wouldn't do well to be trudging through a waste-dump half-starved and half-dead and all of a sudden a guy pops up out of nowhere and shouts "Throw down your weapon!" in Arabic.

[edit on 15-2-2008 by Throbber]

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Umm what about the Pocket Ref has just about everything you need to know about well everything even growing times for crops, as well as knots..
....and the pocket ref is like 7 bucks if you don't know what I am talking about goto the local hardware store even lowes and home depot and ask for the pocket reference and they will guide you in the right direction

I have two copies one in my BOB and one in my shop which needs to be replaced soon..

also anything in regards to growing food, trapping and hunting (you may or may not have a firearm if not trapping is a good way to get a meal it is however not without it's dangers a good deadfall can break your hand if you aren't careful)

also a book on natural foods and remedies.. as for literature go ahead and lig that around if you want but I wouldn't there will be plenty of literature available from libraries that are left behind after sitx

Respectfully
GEO

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by crgintx

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Ever book and poem ever written by Neil Gaiman.

Bring all the "survival" books you want.. but what is life with out literature?

Gaiman?? You meant to say Heinlein right?

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Haha... That's right... the entire Heinlein universe, plus: Don't know if you've read "Farnham's Freehold", but the list of books that the protagonist stocks his fallour shelter with immediately sprung to my mind.

Hmm... maybe I should dig out my copy of "Farnham's"...

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by proteus33

Adventures in Natural Childbirth
&
Country Wisdom & Know-How

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
This is a link to many books on the subjects you like. Please check it out, share with your friends. It is updated regularly!

www.4shared.com...

Namasté

chemtrailswitzerland.blogspot.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join