It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I make the best grilled cheese sandwich in the universe!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 10:10 AM
link   
2 slices Jewish rye bread
Spreadable butter
4 slices American cheese

Spread a light amount of butter on BOTH sides of BOTH pieces of rye bread. Since rye bread is a little wider than your average piece of bread, put two slices of American cheese side by side with one slightly overlapping so as to cover the whole piece of bread. Repeat with two more slices of cheese. Top with the other slice of bread. Melt a small amount of butter in a frying pan or griddle over medium-low to low heat. The key is low and slow so the cheese is able to melt thoroughly without the bread burning. Cook ten to fifteen minutes on each side and you will be in gooey, golden brown heaven.

This is my gift to you.

Peace

[edit on 23-4-2007 by Dr Love]

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Now im hungry for a grill cheese, and I dont fill like going to the kitchen and fixing one! LOL.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   
FOUR pieces of cheese??!!!

Wow, ya gonna pay my cardiologist expenses? lol.

On the other hand, since I'm a southern gal and have had all my vegetables cooked in pork lard all my life....I guess four pieces of cheese is just about right.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Sounds good! I go for the grilled egg and cheese. One egg sunnyside up in between 4 slices of american and fresh thick sliced bakery bread.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Throw in some ham and a slice or two of tomato, and I'll be over for lunch.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Hey Dr Love,

Are you using a light or dark rye bread ?

My mom used to make grilled cheese with a very dark German rye that was totally awesome. I think she made the bread with some molasses instead of sugar, and it was a regular lunch when we came home from school at noon.

A fried cheese sandwich and a bowl of stew or soup, and it stuck to your ribs till supper at 6:00.
Fond memories, thanks.....

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I hate to try to enhance the best Grilled cheese in the Universe, but......

I mentioned this is another thread once.
It's a little messy, but spread a thin coating of your favorite mustard on the OUTSIDES of the sandwich, just before grilling. Just a little..mmmm...

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Rye bread??!! OMG, be still my Polish-American beating heart.

I especially enjoy marble-rye bread and although Arnold makes a good store brand, find yourself a bakery that makes their own. And don't have them slice the bread. Use your knife at home. It makes all the difference.

Mmmmm, caraway seeds and chewey rye bread goodness.

I'm getting my keys and heading down to the bakery now!

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Dude your sanger sounds wonderful, but how do you grill something in a frying pan?

I'm sure this is a British/US English issue.

I'm wondering when the confusion came about?

Edit: P.S. I'll take the mustard option on walnut.

[edit on 11-5-2007 by ChiKeyMonKey]

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChiKeyMonKey
Dude your sanger sounds wonderful, but how do you grill something in a frying pan?

Edit: P.S. I'll take the mustard option on walnut.

[edit on 11-5-2007 by ChiKeyMonKey]

Are you kidding me? Semantics, its a matter of semantics (how can you grill it in a fry pan, yeesh!)...just make it. This sanguich sounds so good, I am going to try making it by packing it in aluminum foil and putting it on my engine block while I drive. I'll toast the bread first, of course. And maybe I'll include some muenster cheese too.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
Hey Dr Love,

Are you using a light or dark rye bread ?

Well, I use light rye anxiety, but I'm sure the dark will work just fine, as a matter of fact I'm going to give that a try.

Regarding the cheese used, I personally like to use a blander tasting cheese because for me the cheese is all about texture and the golden brown, buttery rye is about the taste, that being said I think rye can stand up to just about any sharper cheese.

Peace

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChiKeyMonKey

You're right. Those Brits only think they know the English language better than us Americans.
Oh, wait a minute, maybe I don't speak English after all. I speak American. Genius! I'm pretty certain that our neighbors to the north in Canada don't call it "Grilled Cheese" either, btw.

Not really sure, but you may find this interesting...

Grilled Cheese Sandwich

[edit on 5/11/2007 by Mechanic 32]

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   
dude i love grilled cheese, ive experimented with like every type of bread except rye

i usually make it the same way you described, but with sourdough or white bread.

rye sounds good tho

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Take Dr. Love's recipe, but add ham- spread the inside of the slices of bread with strawberry jam, close the sandwich up and grill with butter.

This is better than sex. Honest.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I suppose that the simple quesadilla is a variant on the grilled cheese recipe as well. At least the way I make them at home, but this may be going too far from the topic. Still, take a flour tortilla, butter on both sides. Brown one side on the griddle on medium heat. Then take your cheese (should be cheddar or monterey jack) that has been shredded, you can buy it pre-shred if you prefer. The key is not to add too much cheese. It's tempting, but too much will make a mess.

Make the circle into a half circle. Deftly flip the whole contraption to continue the melt until the tortilla is nicely browned and the cheese is all melted.

That there is also a grilled cheese. Feel free to add fillings to your taste. Not quite the same as sourdough or rye, but will give you that warm and cheesy satisfaction you may be craving in a similar fashion.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Not to take away from Dr. Love, but "I" make the best grilled cheese sandwich in the universe ....My son told me so

Listen up Dr. Love.....

2 pieces of the heartiest whole grain bread you can find
Tillamook cheddar cheese
Real butter
sliced tomatoes
Dab of Mayo
A touch of salt

Prepare, and grill the sandwich as normal, then open it up, spread a dab of mayo, put in tomato slices, salt them, and enjoy!

Please...no mayonnaise slandering

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   
jensouth

My grilled cheese is so good that it'll make your son jump up and slap his momma (you)!!!

OK, there is absolutely no mayo, tomatoes, mustard, ketchup or whatever the hell else you people put on a grilled cheese, that BELONGS on a grilled cheese! Heathens!!!

Peace

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Mec 32 - Cheers dude. A most informative article, I'm guesing the Dutch took it to the states. Gouda, rocks. Far superior to the French version.

Newtron 25 - Semantics semantics all I said was that grilled cheese was good enough for semantics.

Long live the grilled cheese.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   
You didn't mention this, Dr. love.

So, I proudly direct your attention to the Sandwich-sized skillet:

[img]https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/storeimages/[34FFD0C7-971B-438B-83ED-A7C731125AB4]_[/img]

It's a cast iron skillet, the SIZE of an individual sandwich.

So it's not to heavy, and you can still heat it up quickly, and you just rinse it out, so as not to tamper with the seasoning of years of use. And unless you have a griddle, you proabably only cook one sandwich at a time anyway.

This roman meal bakery . . . thought you'd like to know.

Next: the relationship between grilled cheese and reuben.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Ouch!!

Why did my son jump up and slap me?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join