It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't Vote?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I was talking to someone today, getting into the usual politics as often happens. This guy had some views i agreed with and some i didn't. He was deeply annoyed with our immigration policy, he got quiet animated on the subject. After a while i asked him which party he thought he would be voting for then, would he vote for the BNP or something like this. "Oh no he says, i don't vote, they're all rubbish".

Isn't this the problem with our couontry? People who get really angry at the government and yet they don't vote! Has anyone else come across this sheer stupidity? As far as i'm concerned if you do not vote you have absolutely no right to comment on anything that goes on in the country you live in. You didn't use your given right in the decisions so shut up.

If you think every one of the parties are rubbish then why not spoil your vote? If you don't vote you aren't making a statement, you are simply not voting. By spoiling your vote you actually show your annoyance with the parties involved.

Why is there so much apathy now? Why do people just not bother in what their government is or isn't doing? It seems my generation are either happy to complain and then not vote, or they simply wouldn't care what form their government was in. They wouldn't mind if it became a dictatorship until it actaully happened and they had to live through it.

The bottom line? I think people should start caring a little more about what
their government is up to. If we don't take measures to control our government then our rights will simply be abused and bad policies will go unchallenged.

Take part in the system you are lucky enough to have available.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I agree entirely. I don't think it should be compulsory to vote, but people need to be encouraged to get involved - especially younger people. They need to be taught not only that you can vote, but why you should vote, how you go about doing it and how much politics really affects you in everyday life (from taxes to the use by dates on your food... it's all politics in one way or another). Sometimes, I think, we don't realise how lucky we are in this country.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   
i think the power to vote, should be considered just as strong of action as not voting. if you vote, that means that you are ok with the current democracy, if you are not ok with it, and you vote anyway, that is like saying "oh i dont care, do what you want"

to not care about your right to vote, is another topic. it's not like the public education system really gives students the feeling of persoal power over the government. get a good job and pay taxes is all i remember.

withholding taxes to me is the same as not voting as long is you have a purpose.

[edit on 22-4-2007 by tom goose]

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   
tom goose

Not voting doesn't say anything, where as spoiling your vote makes a statement of your annoyance with all the current parties.

Maybe some education at school would be a good idea, but it seems that the education system already struggles trying to teach everything they already do.

Why is there so much apathy though? Why do people, especially people my age just not vote?

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
tom goose

Not voting doesn't say anything, where as spoiling your vote makes a statement of your annoyance with all the current parties.

Maybe some education at school would be a good idea, but it seems that the education system already struggles trying to teach everything they already do.

Why is there so much apathy though? Why do people, especially people my age just not vote?

i was never taught this "spoiling vote"

does that mean pick everyone, or leave it all blank?

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Most people simply scribble across the form, putting a wobbly line over it. Thi means your vote is then counted and actually appears on the results as spoiled.

So you get results like

Labour 12
Conservatives 10
Lib Dem 5
Spoilt 3

At least here you can see your vote has been counted and shows your current views more accurately than simply not voting.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 12:39 AM
link   
huh...

well thank you, im definitly doing that next time. just scribble across? why have i never picked that up. it's a conspiracy to keep me from the ballot box i tell you

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Totally agree IM1984.
One problem tho- since this govt. has recklessy encouraged people to spend spend spend in order to keep the consumer economy bouyant, many people, usually the poor disenfranchised, don`t register to vote as the first place bailiffs will look for you is on the electoral role.
The idea of infinite economic expansion is ultimately untenable on a planet with finite resources by the way. Is this not obvious? All we`re doing is exploiting somebody else somewhere along the line. There are VERY few societies in which this doesn`t happen actually.
This is unsustainable in the long term and should be addressed NOW, before we`re the ones being exploited ourselves, although arguably, many of us already are.
Run for MP or councillor yourself or Spoil your Vote!!
(At the very least, don`t vote Con or Lab, please!!) We Text political reform.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I am of a fan on it being illegal on to vote and there have been a couple of threads this year. The right to vote is a prilivage that we have and some of my forefathers and mothers died to defend that right.

And there are many countries where people would like the ability to vote yet the vast majority of the UK population seem not to care.

If you make it illegal not to vote, (Australia for example) then you must have a none of the above box.

Spoiling your ballot paper is the anyway today to say I votes but none of you were worth it. I have done this on several occasions. The disadvantage with spoilt votes is that no one recorded the type of spoilage.

And yes we should teach long and hard about our political system at school to ensure that those coming after us, treasure this right as much as I do.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I think it might be too time-consuming to record how the vote was spoilt. There are so many ways to do it, it doesn't bear thinking about

But I strongly agree that the concept of the right to vote should be held sacrosanct in every democracy, and the only way I would allow someone to take that ballot paper away from me is by prising open my my cold, dead fingers.

In the timeless words of Winston Churchill: "No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."

new topics

top topics

join