It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Someone Check this Coding out For Me?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I've been trying out different ways to post my live webcam online.
This morning, I followed the directions on this page

The first part was easy and to view my live STREAMING webcam:
-- open Windows Media Player
-- open File --> open URL
-- and paste the following URL into the pop up box: 169.254.174.7:2302...

But when I copy/pasted the script on that tech blorg page for putting my live cam on a webpage (I use Dreamweaver) -- where I then changed the value and the SRC fields to the URL of my live webcam (same URL as the one I gave to open it in WMP),

Here's the original script on that Tech Borg page that I copy/pasted into Dreamweaver:

--where I then clicked on "save" in dreamweaver to save and upload that page to my server, a message pops up saying that:
"This documents current encoding cannot save all of the characters within the document. You may want to change to UTF-8 or an encoding that supports the special characters within this document"

Could anyone give me some suggestions on how to get this script to work so I can show my live webcam on a webpage on my server?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

[edit on 21-4-2007 by Palasheea]

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   
It could be because of the double quotes, if you look carefully you will see that you have two types of double quotes, the common and the more "stylish" double quotes, slightly skewed.

Edn

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
You need to change all the slanted double quotes ( ˝ ) to straight double quotes ( " ).

That should fix one error at least.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Thanks ArMap and Edn for your suggestions!
Learn something new everyday! Thanks!
I'll make those quote changes to see if it works!

I'll let you know either way if it does or not but it sure sounds like it's worth a try! I'm not a coder so when things go wrong I usually have to do a search again to find the script that works.... lol, sometimes this is very time consuming.

I really want to embed this live Streaming Webcam on a webpage because as it is right now, whenever I turn off Windows Media Encoder -- when I turn it back on again, I'm given a new URL for this live streaming webcam to insert into WMP in order to view it in that player. This is a real hassle because I'm always having to announce new updates on what that URL is every time I turn off and then turn back on WME!

In addition to this, it's inconvenient for most people to have to first open Windows Media Player --> open File --> enter the new WME URL for the live cam to view it which at the present moment is:
169.254.174.7:3250...

This will change again sometime a little later after I close and restart WME to tryout some different compression bit rates -- need to do some research on all of that to see which one's work best for the cam that I'm using now.

Anyway, by having it on a webpage, if I turn off WME and then turn it back on again, anyone who wants to view that live cam again will not need a new URL to view the cam because it would still have the same URL as the webpage itself.

Will check back later to give an update on all of this and thanks to both of you for your suggestions!

[edit on 22-4-2007 by Palasheea]

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Wow! This is great!!

Got that webcam inserted on a webpage now! Thanks so MUCH to both of you for suggesting that I change the style of those quotes in that script!

My Live STREAMING Webcam embedded on a webpage

(note: webcam takes a few seconds to get going when you log onto that page for the first time...)

[edit on 22-4-2007 by Palasheea]

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Umm... your IP address isnt an external IP address in that link.

That IP address you are using will allow you to view your webcam... from your computer only. You've got your offline IP listed there.

Anything starting with 169.254 is an IP address assigned by your computer when it has no link through that network interface to another server.

I'd check IPCONFIG/ALL from your dos prompt to find your actual internet IP address.

Easy mistake to make, as you are probably able to view your own cam from your browser, but you wont be able to from anywhere else.

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I'm sorry to say that it is not working.

As johnsky said, there is no image because the IP address is a local address that is used by a computer when it cannot get an IP address from a server.

You need to know your public IP address, an address that will be anything outside these ranges:
10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255
169.254.0.0 - 169.254.255.255
172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255

Depending of the way your computer connects to the Internet, you may have the need to configure a firewall and/or a router.

new topics

top topics

join