It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Melamine in Pet Food May Not Be Accidental

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Melamine in Pet Food May Not Be Accidental

www.usatoday.com

ChemNutra, which imported the wheat gluten linked to last month's massive pet-food recall, says it is concerned its Chinese supplier spiked the product.

In a letter on ChemNutra's website, Chief Executive Steve Miller said, "We are concerned that we may have been the victim of deliberate and mercenary contamination for the purpose of making the wheat gluten we purchased appear to have a higher protein content than it did."

Melamine is "simply not a chemical even on the radar screen for food ingredient suppliers," he wrote.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 01:10 AM
link   
This is really getting to be quite intriguing when the words "deliberate"and "mercenary contamination" start being thrown around.

Apparently melamine was added to the food so it appeared to have a higher protein content.

Does this mean it was added to the food knowing what effects it may have, or simply to raise the tested protein levels to be able to be sold?

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I found this thread whilst looking for one about the Chinese baby milk powder scandal and I couldn't believe this was back in April 2007! Something is definitely not right about melamine now appearing in baby milk powder after all that time.

Does anyone have any further information on what happened about the dog food?

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I don't have any information that is linked, validated, nor measurable to add to this discussion, however, I wanted to say that when the pet food recall came out, I wondered if it was a dry-run for human food products. Perhaps to test if the source could be identified by testing.

Now, it's probably important to stress right now that the powdered milk contamination was identified first within the country in which the product was made.

Still -- and I'm not espousing anyone follow my lead -- for quite a while we've decided to look closely at labels and forego Chinese food products.

We have good friends in Florida and occasionally send them a box of goodies -- toys/clothes for their two little girls, some fun stuff, some prep. stuff. They asked us to not send Chinese-made toys, as they have a hard time opening up the box, and then denying their children the toys. They are very leery of such toys, as evidenced by the two separate toy items that were contaminated with various [identified] toxic materials.

I have nothing against the Chinese people. I just want to be careful.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
If the product had a low protein count and the melamine increased that then of course it was to sell low grade product at high grade price.
Typical selfish greedy business behavior.

Melamine is sometimes illegally added to food products in order to increase the apparent protein content. Standard tests such as the Kjeldahl and Dumas tests estimate protein levels by measuring the nitrogen content, so they can be misled by adding nitrogen-rich compounds such as melamine.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
This is not the first time this has happened on an industrial scale. We have been (and I would even expect still are being) exposed to a dilution of nutrients. This isn't only pets. It's people too... just wait and see.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I already knew that when this occurred it was an intentional act of sabotage on behalf of the Chinese government. Then of course they conveniently found the "perpetrator" and promptly had him executed. Face it, the Chinese could care less about pets to begin with, they eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. This is the very same government that went around clubbing dogs to death as their owners walked them down the street. They justified this abuse with a statement about "Rabies Control". Then we also have a load of dead Panamanians from tainted toothpaste and cough syrup. This is all a dry-run, and for all intents and purposes an act of terrorism to put fear and instability into the market. China has been launching an Economic war against the United States for Decades.

new topics

top topics

join