It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student Arrested After Talking About Gunman

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Now THAT, shar, we can agree on. I think people just like to cause problems for others for the heck of it. Thinking before you speak is always a good idea, since it'll keep ya from saying something so stupid that you'll be laughed at from now on. Heck, thinking PERIOD is preferred over just spouting whatever comes to mind.

TheBorg

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 05:22 AM
link   
can you be arrested for anything?...

being "arrested for interfering" is a pretty obscure offence.

so i ask you, can you be arrested for anything they choose to find threatening to the community or, greater good as they may say?

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shar

and those there at the time for truth

So do you think his classmates and teacher is making this up? Saying he said, "he wanted to kill...." when he didn't say this at all? If he did say this and backed his statement with those words. Then he too is saying he needs help.

Could it be that those people were still so touched by the incedent that THEIR minds were fragile and unstable... worrying about if they are next? From what I read it could easily have been an overreaction... maybe from both sides.
Crist some people take some things too litteraly, and it's my view those people are more dangerous than Karson is. Subjects of mass submission... but that's imo ofc. ^^

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   
First of all, they were having a discussion about the events that happened at their school. If the guy thought that the unpainted walls were enough to go on a killing spree, then maybe he was right. Maybe if the walls were painted, the massacre would have never happened.
There is absolutely nothing wrong the expressing your viewpoint. The student also certainly did not break the law by offering suggestions on how to prevent future occurances of a massacre. It is also clear that this person did not 'interfere' "with staff, faculty, or students" since he just voiced his opinion.

In short, this is nonsense. We need a layer of checks and balances before these cops can arrest people. I would say we could implement something like John Titor's 'federal police' have (I don't know if you've seen these folks), when they pull out a cell phone and act like they're calling a 24hr judge to see if they can 'arrest' (or I'd rather say kidnap) folks.

Originally posted by Majic
Whatever the details, this guy reportedly gave enough people concern to merit an arrest for "interfering with staff, faculty or students of an education institution," which is apparently illegal in Colorado.

They were not in Colorado, they were in Virginia. Before expressing your conservative views, observe the facts.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I know that a lot of people are upset by the whole VT incident but be careful what you wish for. If we can arrest people for saying something then what is next you didn't eat lunch off to jail with you. I agree that harsh statements can be offensive however someone earlier in this discussion mentioned that if you start arresting people they will no longer come forward for help. We can no longer just keep arresting people and putting them in jail for minor crap. Maybe if this guy didn't feel like he had no where to turn (which is evident in his taped video) and could speak up without persecution he would have made a different decision on what action to take but I guess we will never know that.

Please don't think I am defending him I am not just think that while we are politically correct on most things we are not when it comes to mental illness and we should be it could save your life or the life of your children.

So I guess it comes down to this maybe we all should think twice before calling someone crazy or ridiculing them for what could potentially be a serious mental ilness

Later GEO

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Whatever the details, this guy reportedly gave enough people concern to merit an arrest for "interfering with staff, faculty or students of an education institution," which is apparently illegal in Colorado.

They were not in Colorado, they were in Virginia. Before expressing your conservative views, observe the facts.

Woooah hold yer horses, don't be so quick to jump on people. Please excuse me if I'm mistaken but I think Majic was talking about this story. Yes this happened in Colorado, heres a link. www.9news.com...
In my own thoughts, if this guy were saying things that would make others not want to attend class, I think it's worth looking into.

[edit on 20-4-2007 by Slash]

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   
HI

Sorry took so long to reply. Work is a killer.. lol

First off.. I noticed that I may have posted this and there was already a running thread about it. For that im sorry. It was my first post here and I failed to see the other.

I just thought it was interesting and wanted to see some input.

I fear the outcome of this type of thing is bad for both sides. On the one hand being arrested and charged for simply expressing your view point will set the stage for further constrants on our freedoms. On the other hand letting stuff like this just ride may be letting someone who is not quite stable remain out there. Its a double edge sword im afraid. I dont agree with the fact that he was arrested. I think (like another person said) that it was a snap reaction. The fact that it happened is scary to say the least. Watch what you say and who is around to hear it type thing, or chance being confronted by the mighty system/police. Maybe someone should have sat him down and asked if he was feeling ok and get to know him a little better..

As far as the date and outcome of the incident, again im sorry I didnt get on and follow up as fast as I should have. It was an article burried in AOL news lol. It just struck me as a little off, and thought I would share it to see if any could find some more info, and see what the initial view of the readers here would take. I will try to follow up promptly with future post.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I also would like to add that I think this incident will effect greatly the creativness of future writers. Either by them being afraid to show there talent or if they do being branded as crazy and a threat to others.

www.ew.com...

Nothing positive will come from this trajidy im afraid.

On another note.. My heart goes out to all effected by this and to the family of the shooter.

www.cnn.com...

This is truly a sad day for all of us and im afraid all are going to feel the sting of this for a very long time.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   
That's a very good point. I'm sure a lot of "thoughts" will go swept under the rug for fear of being ridiculed. No one is going to want to be labeled as troubled, or whatever, because of the precedence that has been set right here.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 12:53 AM
link   
And thus the pendulum swings too far the other direction. Give it some time, and it will moderate itself.

TheBorg

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Sayed Rahmatullah Hashemi, former deputy foreign secretary of the Taliban, is now a student at Yale while at the same time this guy is arrested for just making a statement in a school discussion? I'm sure I probably don't agree with him, but where is the justice in this?

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   
After a big incident like VT the chance of having copycats is very high. Just look at all the bomb threats and such all over the US. Because of that I think they did the right thing by detaining him and questioning him about his comments. If what he said was enough to make people afraid to attend class with him then something had to be done.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join