It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Honestly, would you hand in your firearms?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
As a member of the UK who has already been through this on a much smaller scale, this is a question that almost fascinates me. A question to our US members here if i may?

Say, just for discussions sake, the day comes when you hear that the US is going to adopt the same style firearms laws and bans as the UK.

What would you do, honestly?

I say "honestly", because there is many a brave man sits behind his keyboard on the internet and shouts about what he'd do in certain situations, but when it comes to it they just roll over and say ok.

Say the government does an 6 month amnesty, like we have in the UK now and again. Would you give any of your fireamrs in?

Amnesty is over now. You get officials knocking on your door asking for your registered weapons that you still have'nt handed in. They are there legally to collect your weapons. What would you do?

See correct me if i'm wrong, but the only way to not give up your gun is to go out fighting, whether it be with your fists or with your weapon. Fists are'nt going to do it as the officials will be armed for sure. So what are you going to do?

Many of you have respectable jobs, families etc. Many of us here (i presume) are law abiding to a degree and have a decent enough sense of right and wrong. So you know that to go out in a blaze of glory like some seem to imply here would mean either a trip to prison or a trip to the morgue.

I see so many people on this site quote the 2nd ammendment saying theres no way they'd give up thier weapons, but to be honest i don't think it will work like that. I think that most will just do as they always do, do as you are told.

I reckon there will be the criminal element of society who won't bother, a no brainer there i guess, and there will be a few hardliners who will get themslves locked away or shot as a result of there unwillingless to follow suit.

People will return to thier keyboards, talk about what they would or could have done and then get used to the new way.

Thats what people do with everything else. Rant about the horrendous things our governments ask of us, then we do it anyway with little more fuss than a few words on ATS.

Am i wrong?

If so, what would you do?

CX.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
If one wanted to keep any guns owned after the US gov't demanded all US citizens to turn in their guns, there are several creative options other than fighting it out.

Hmmm jee my house was broken into, they stole some stuff, including my firearms, all of them!

Of course some may see this as an escape route instead of all out revolution...but really do you think the US is going to institute a country wide ban on guns all at the same time? Theyre not stupid. Why throw the lobster in boiling water when you could ask it to take a bath and slowly bring up th heat til boiling.

Most likely the US will institute localized bans in areas that are majority against guns and ownership (hey like possibly Vtech, blackburg?). These localized bans will be testbeds for future ban areas, all the while learning what to do and what not to do. This has been done already in SF, CA city proper, though not enforced and possibly being fought.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
You obviously do not understand American mindset. Believe me when I tell you, if they ever do decide to confiscate our guns, there will be violence. Let it it happen and watch and see.

[edit on 19-4-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Well, I know what I would do but for an awnser by 2 Patriotic Americans I asked my husband sitting here near me if he would honestly hand in his firearms and he said "Hell no!" Well that about say's it. I can also speak for all of my relatives. When and if the time come's we have dummy guns that could get" handed in ", but as for our protection and hunting gun's like my hubby just so eloquently put it HELL NO!

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
You obviously do not understand American mindset. Believe me when I tell you, if they ever do decide to confiscate our guns, there will be violence. Let it it happen and watch and see.

Who me? I do live in the US.

As far as the violence of gun banning...Here we have some american citizens that VOTED to BAN firearms in a localized area, city od San Francisco, CA

www.washingtonpost.com...

No violence there, in fact the vote went the opposite way that one would think should happen....Sad. But some are now trying to fight (in a courtroom) the decision.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
No,I was replying to the OP. The OP asked what would happen if they tried to take our guns and I replied,"There would be violence." Americans aren't just going to "hand over" their guns. Uh, no. :shk:

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Well, they may not engage any active resistence in the northern states, but I promise you, it would never fly in the South. Never, ever.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I'll give the stereotypical response.

If they force it, it will mean that America is dead, or at least nearly so.
They can have my weapons when they take them from me. I intend to make that as difficult as possible, though maybe not by sitting there and shooting people as they come into my house... I'd hide them at the least.

link   
I think Speaker and antar sumed it up.

There is no way I nor any of my family members would EVER hand in our weapons. If they tried to take them
they would loose. It would be ugly......very ugly.

CX

link   

Originally posted by greatlakes

Who me? I do live in the US.

I think greatlakes was referring to me there Speaker.

Possibly true though, we (in the UK) do tend to judge those in the US without actually living there first.

So maybe greatlakes is right, i probably don'nt understand the American mindset.

I'm sure you lot think us tea drinking Brits are a strange lot at times too!

CX.

CX

link   
Double post.

[edit on 19/4/07 by CX]

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
CX,I am the one who said you don't understand the American mindset, not GreatLakes.

CX

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   

CX,I am the one who said you don't understand the American mindset, not GreatLakes.

It's been a long day, i'll just shut up and drink my cuppa.

CX.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX

I'm sure you lot think us tea drinking Brits are a strange lot at times too!

CX.

Yeah, you all sit around drinking tea and eating tea cakes all day, right?

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX

It's been a long day, i'll just shut up and drink my cuppa.

CX.

Isn't is teatime or something over there jeez

In my view, UK is the US testbed, things get tried there 1st, if successful, they get carried over the pond to the US. For some reason Brits are accepting of a lot of things we would never go for, but that is changing. It is why the agendas are in place to soften us yanks to the usefulness and helpfulness of bigbrother type technology.

Cameras-hey they stop crime, catch terrorists, good for the US and stem the flow of weapons of mass destruction!

Tracking Devices on people-These are only used on dangerous people to track there comings and goings. On the elderly to "safe-guard" them if they get lost and on children to prevent abductions!

etc etc and the people seem to be buying it slowly surely.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
the day comes when you hear that the US is going to adopt the same style firearms laws and bans as the UK. What would you do, honestly?

Then our Constitution would be dead. America, as we know it would not exist.

What would I do? I don't know. It would depend on the situation.
It's impossible to predict.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Really the answer to the thread question: Honestly, would you hand in your firearms?

There are really only 4 answers, which one is your answer?

1. Die defending your rights to bear arms (die right there on the spot resisting the handover of your guns as the swat team that demands your guns converge on your residence)

2. Be in violation of the new laws (fictitious as of now) that were passed and just refuse to hand over the firearms. Get taken into custody, tried convicted and sent to prison for a long while.

3. Start the fight early and oppose the the emergence and seeming course that we look to be on.

4. Fight in a courtroom the laws that may be emerging or have emerged concerning the banning of firearms.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Nope, never. I dont actually own one at this time but Ive had many guns in the past and will be getting a Handgun and a Rifle by the end of the year.
Ill never give up my weapons voluntarily and like someone already pointed out, there are many ways to "get rid" of your guns before they do come bashing the door down.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Listen, I live in the UK, ignore anyone saying we have the right to bare arms (he knows who he is) we have a gun ban, the only people that can own a firearm are hunters, armed police (and similar official armed response groups), farmers and armed forces (army etc), licenses are required, no ordinary joe can just get a gun and a license.
With that off my chest let me say this.

Americans need to keep their right to bare arms, we here are in a situation where the criminals have guns (illegally of course) and it makes us have to put up with a lot of #, I have no chance to even out a situation if i or my family are confronted with a gun wielding 'gangsta' type.
Where ever you see gun bans is where you see the most gun violence.

Keep your guns, dont live cowering in a corner with no chance to protect yourself or even out a situation.
Gun bans only work in favour of criminals.

It is your right and duty to own guns and protect yourself.
Sometimes you need to protect yourself against your own government and how you going to do that if they have all the force.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by eagle32

Americans need to keep their right to bare arms, we here are in a situation where the criminals have guns (illegally of course) and it makes us have to put up with a lot of #, I have no chance to even out a situation if i or my family are confronted with a gun wielding 'gangsta' type.
Where ever you see gun bans is where you see the most gun violence.

Keep your guns, dont live cowering in a corner with no chance to protect yourself or even out a situation.
Gun bans only work in favour of criminals.

It is your right and duty to own guns and protect yourself.
Sometimes you need to protect yourself against your own government and how you going to do that if they have all the force.

I can research the GUNBAN history of the UK, but can you tell us the history, a firsthand account of how the banning went into effect. What steps occurred, certain areas (like maybe London) initially then spread? thanks for any insight.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join