It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Small Are We?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I have found this video while randomly browsing the popular YouTube.

Very Interesting and Frightening at the same time.

You want to know how small are we?

Very,

VERY

Small

[edit on 19/4/07 by Souljah]

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Amen brother, and we used to think we were the center of the universe...

Unfortunately, most people think we are alone and this won't necessarily stop their beliefs.

It is quite heartening to know that we are very small. The universe is truly a fascinating place eh

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Wow, I remember when I was a child and thinking about how HUGE Jupiter was and to see it now, compared to some of the Stars out there.. Space is an amazing place..
good find dude

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 01:20 AM
link   
And to think, all this time we thought we were the most important things to happen in this universe. How Self-Centered are we as a species anyway?

TheBorg

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg
And to think, all this time we thought we were the most important things to happen in this universe. How Self-Centered are we as a species anyway?

Perhaps we focus on the important things that we do know about,and our knowledge of space isn't exactly big enough....yet.

BTW,there's another thread that shows the same stars & planets in pictures.
Hmm the last 2 stars in that video isn't in that thread ^^^.

[edit on 20-4-2007 by tormentor]

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I always liked the coffee saucer analogy. Not sure where I read it, probably in one of William K. Hartmann's books, but the analogy goes something like this:

The Earth is the size of a molecule, and our Sun is the size of a speck of dust. So, our entire planetary solar system is the size of a coffee saucer. Got that? Take your coffee saucer and place it on the ground. Now walk one city block away and place another coffee saucer on the ground. That is the next closest star system to ours. Now continue placing coffee saucers on the ground, approximately one city block distant from each other in all directions, until you have covered the entire North American continent. That is a fair representation of our galaxy, The Milky Way. The next nearest galaxy is as far away from us as the Moon. After that, you're right back to infinity again.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 4/20/2007 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg

That is quite natural. Every living being on this planet thinks and acts like he/she/it is the centre of the universe, because there is you, and the universe that surrounds you.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 08:34 AM
link   
www.nikon.co.jp...

That site by Nikon is called universcale. It really put in perspective our size in relation to the universe.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by yanchek
That is quite natural. Every living being on this planet thinks and acts like he/she/it is the centre of the universe, because there is you, and the universe that surrounds you.

Good point.

I think this little cartoon from the Simpsons tells it all:

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I never saw that simpsons beginning before! thanks for sharing that!
My small mind can wrap around that, as I have been laying in bed and had this werid feeling.. I felt so small and tiny, yet very heavy and large at the same time.. Anyone else know that "feeling"?

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   
The heavy and large part, yes. Now where did I leave my donuts? Doh!

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 4/20/2007 by Doc Velocity]

new topics

top topics

join