It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SR71's removed from museums

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Ok,I'm a newbie. Just love the information that gets discussed here. I live in southern california, and a friend lives near March airforce base. The SR71 on display has been removed and supposedly the one from wright patterson plus one other - can't remember where has been reactivated. The fence around the museum was removed so the palne could be trucked out after removing the outermost wing portions. I am emailing the collections mamnager at the base to see if they say anything.

I know the SR's were activtated for the gulf war but perhaps others can find out more. Supposedly there were some news reports but I couldn't find any.

Comments ???

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I personally would want to wait for a confirmation or a source if this has happened. Also if it is just a one-sy-twosy thing, or if it is across the board. If this is true, it could just mean that refurbs are happening, or perhaps a relocation to a different museum, or a loan to different place etc.

Or even perhaps that it is security related, its possible that a sensitive aspect of the design was overlooked, the airplane was approved to be viewed in museums, and now finally the mistake was found. If this is true it would be sort of a major 'scoop' breaking news event. That is of co rse if th tory e er w ul get re o ted.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I can tell you that the one at Evergreen Aviation Museum in Mcminnville Oregon is still there. Not sure about the ones you are talking about, but I have seen one in an exhibit in the last week.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Every few years aircraft, especially those kept outside, are taken in for repainting and repairs before being put back on display. The weather really takes a toll on them sitting outside. We used to have a B-25 that was taken every five years into a hangar and touched up, and well before it was time for it to get touched up, it looked horrible again.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Well I can account for the SR-71 that is located near where I live in McMinnville, Or. at the Evergreen Aviation Museum not being moved. I have sent an e-maile to the Directors of the facility to see if they know or have heard any news of this.

Check this site out... www.sr-71.org...

Paul, the owner of the site, keeps a pretty good update of events and news about the Blackbird. I could not find anything mentioned there, and with his forum down I cannot ask anybody if they have heard anything...

I'l keep you posted if I get a reply or I can track anything down.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 04:17 AM
link   
SR-71s did not not fly in any gulf wars

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I wouldn't mind betting that this is either as zaphod said a restoration and maintenance action, or it could be a touch of the F-14 jitters! You may have heard the commotion about F-14's falling into the wrong hands and the Iranian's buying their parts on the black market. This caused the US Govt to insist that they all be properly demillitarised and so museums have been forced to surrender any airframes they have to be put through this process. It usually involves removing engines and any equipment deemed sensitive and often the airframe being cut in several locations to render them unflyable. Well the same thing happened recently to a group that rescued an A-12 or SR-71 (I forget which) and they were rather upset after all the restoration effort put in after recovering the airframe from a scrap dealer. Seems the Airforce and Government were not that interested until they were embarassed by several high profile incidents like the "ebay FA-18" story.

LEE.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
One thing to remember is that many of the SR-71's and A-12's had sections of thier wings cut for transport to those museums (I do believe that the Wright patt. one was flown in). Once the wings are cut those aircraft are unflyable period.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   
if anyone is in SOCAL in October sounds like this might be interesting with pilots and crew comments. I really could have sworn the plane was removed. May be I was driving too fast .

Hi Mike

The SR-71 is still here at the museum, it is just hard to see when you past by. If you have an interest in the SR-71 the museum is hosting a
SR-71 symposium in October. The two day event will feature presentations by SR-71 pilots and other crew members. It would be a great opportunity to learn about this fascinating aircraft.

Michelle Sifuentes
Collections Manager
March Field Air Museum
PO Box 6463
March ARB, CA 92518
(951) 697-6602 ex 210

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by firepilot
SR-71s did not not fly in any gulf wars

This is true, in fact after SR 71s were withdrawn from service due to an overoptimistic belief in the abilities of spy satellites The US found itself unable to conduct tactical reconnaissance in marginal environments and made a request to the Australian government for deployment of their RF-111Cs. The Australians rejected the request considering the aircraft too valuble to Australian security. While the U2s were still available at the time they were felt to suspectible to Mig 25s and SAMS. As it turned out the role was filled by RF 4Cs from the US, RF 104s from Belgium, RF 5Es frou Saudi and tornadoes from UK.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   
If i remember correctly they were using an SR-71 for scientific tests on the ozone layer since it is 1 of the few planes able to do the altitude required for the test.

I believe they were also charging other scientsit to put payloads on the aircraft for research. Which sounds like a good way to make money to keep it flying plus do research that could not otherwise be done.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   
That's the ER-2 they're using. It used to be a modified U-2C that NASA has, but I'm not sure if they've upgraded it to a later model or not. They have 2 that they use at different areas around the world. The last SR-71s were retired from NASA in 1999.

In 1991, NASA launched a comprehensive program to study the Earth as an environmental system. By using satellites and tools like the ER-2 to intensively study the Earth, NASA hopes to expand human understanding of how natural processes affect people and how people might be affecting the processes. Such studies may yield improved weather forecasts, tools for managing agriculture and forests, information for fisheries and local planners, and the ability to predict how the climate will change in the future.

NASA ER-2s have played an important role in Earth science research because of their ability to fly into the lower stratosphere at subsonic speeds, enabling direct stratospheric sampling as well as virtual satellite simulation missions. The aircraft’s unique capabilities enable studies such as stratospheric ozone concentrations over Antarctica and the Arctic.

www.nasa.gov...

The two SR-71s at Dryden have been assigned the following NASA tail numbers: NASA 844 (A model), military serial 64-17980, manufactured in July 1967, and NASA 831 (B model), military serial 64-17956, manufactured in September 1965. From 1991 through 1994, Dryden also had another "A" model, NASA 832, military serial 64-17971, manufactured in October 1966. This aircraft was returned to the USAF inventory and was the first aircraft reactivated for USAF reconnaissance purposes in 1995.

The SR-71 last flight took place in October 1999.

www.nasa.gov...

Here are the flight logs for the last four SR-71s to fly.
www.sr-71.org...

61-7980 made the last flight for all SR-71s on 09 Oct 1999. The pilot was Rogers E. Smith and the RSO was Marta Bohn-Meyer who was went on to be one of the top people at Dryden and was killed in a plane crash a few years later. This flight was a demonstration flight at an Edwards AFB airshow.

61-7956 made its last flight on 19 Oct 1997 with the Edward T. Schneider as pilot and Robert Meyer JR as ROS.

61-7967 made its last flight on 13 Sept 1995 with Rogers E. Smith as pilot and Robert Meyer JR as RSO.

61-7971 made its last flight on 02 June 1995 with Edward T. Schneider as pilot and Lt. Col. Blair L. Bozek as RSO.

[edit on 4/22/2007 by Zaphod58]

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Looks like the U-2Cs that NASA was using stopped flying and were removed in 1989. The current birds were produced as ER-2s, unlike the early models which were modified U-2s.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MIKERI

None of the SR-71s were reactivated.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by firepilot

Hate to burst your bubble but we did fly missions with the SR-71 during the gulf war. I was there. I worked on the SR-71.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackbirdspecops
reply to post by firepilot

Hate to burst your bubble but we did fly missions with the SR-71 during the gulf war. I was there. I worked on the SR-71.

SR-71s did not fly during Desert Storm, they had been retired then.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackbirdspecops

Any proof to back up your claim?

SR-71 not deployed for Desert Storm
Defense Daily , Jan 28, 1991

SR-71 NOT DEPLOYED FOR DESERT STORM. "There are no SR-71s being deployed" as part of Operation Desert Storm, DoD said last week. Some sources say the Lockheed-built spy-plane, which was retired one month before Iraq invaded Kuwait, would be more useful than satellites in bomb damage assessment through thick cloud cover and in tracking the elusive mobile Scud launchers

Seeing as the SR-71 was not a black project in '91, why would the DOD lie about this?

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
As far as I know, there are only two functional SR's being used. NASA has one and the Air force the other. They may have needed to pull the non active ones out for parts, gut them and keep the pieces for maintenance.

That makes sence to me, considering that the design and general airframe is an outdated but serviceable design, there are much more advanced and newer craft being developed. The Sr was one of the greatest though, and ranks as #2 in my favorite planes list.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I think there are actually more than two that could be returned to flight if they wanted too. However, the majority that are in museums had thier wings cut to fit in cargo transports for thier final trip.

The exceptions I beleive is the one at Wright Patterson and the one on display at the Pima Air Museum.

Once cut the planes can never be flown again.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
There are no flyable SR-71 airframes. The last flight was in October 1999 with the remaining NASA SR-71A. After that, the serviceable airplanes sat around for several years until they were no longer flyable.

They were no longer actively maintained. The flight crews were no longer current and eventually retired or left for other jobs. The simulator eventually broke down. The airplanes were finally placed on static display in various museums. The simulator was repaired and donated to a museum, as well. All the remaining spare parts, materials, and equipment were in storage for a number of years but in 2008, it was all fed into industrial shredders and scrapped.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join