It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VaTech Gunman Contacted NBC News During Massacre

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   

VaTech Gunman Contacted NBC News during massacre

www.msnbc.msn.com

BLACKSBURG, Va. -

Sometime after he killed two people in a dormitory but before he slaughtered 30 more in a classroom building Monday morning, Cho Seung-Hui sent NBC News a rambling communication and videos about his grievances, the network said Wednesday.

Network officials turned the material over to the FBI and said they would not immediately disclose its contents pending the agency’s review beyond characterizing the material as “disturbing.” It included a written communication, photographs and video.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Item

WRAL

Related ATS News Thread:
Federal Officials: At Least 32 Dead After Virginia Tech University Shooting

[edit on 2007/4/18 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
The killer supposedly spent his time in between killings making sure that the media knew what he was up to.

Cho obviously knew what he wanted to do and wanted the world to know why, I wonder what he wrote?

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   
NBC will air some of the video sent by Cho on tonight's NBC's Nightly News broadcast according to MSNBC. 7PM EST

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   
On FNC reported that the package sent to NBC was timestamped at the mailing facility which put it in between the two tragic incidents on the campus of Virginia Tech.

The material is being described as a manifesto by reporters.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   
A little info in this article quoting Brian Williams host of the Nightly news:

Killer sends messages to NBC

Brian Williams, anchor and managing editor of NBC's The Daily Nightly described Cho's package of material as a "multimedia manifesto".

"NBC News has indeed received what I would call a multimedia manifesto from the gunman," he said in a posting on The Daily Nightly blog.

"We received it today, and immediately handed it over to Federal law enforcement authorities.

"We are still going over our own copy - it's a lot of material - we are talking with law enforcement, our own standards people - and Pete Williams, our Justice Correspondent, will join me live on the broadcast to go through the material."

A multimedia manifesto?

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Why? What point do you think he was trying to make here?

You know isn't this what the terrorist do. Show themselves on tv. Do they not realize they won't be around for the fame they are seeking?

[edit on 18-4-2007 by Shar]

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Wow, just saw a little snippet of the video Cho sent to NBC on FNC, it is disturbing, there is a 5min piece on MSNBC.com showing some of the video as well but I wanted to let you know before I looked.
click on this at the home page (WATCH ‘NIGHTLY NEWS’ VIDEO: Killer Cho Seung-Hui speaks)

It is still supposed to be shown on the Nightly news this evening.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I don't get that channel. Maybe you can somehow grab some of the important facts and put them on here. Would you do that?

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
You can go to MSNBC.com and some of the video is there now. FYI

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
points from the NBC broadcast

-9:01AM stamp

-Ismael on package

-video, written documents

-NBC still going through them

--Cho "I had to do it", sitting in vehicle

-1800 word diatribe

-incoherent, ramblings of a madman

-needless to say this killer (who was said to be a silent loner) had plenty to say in his video. I am speechless, his tirade is a nonfocused rage I am guessing he thought everybody was out to get him. Unbelieveable

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   
More comment on other video

-Cho claims to sacrifice himself like Jesus

-Rambles on about rich priveleged kids(mercedes, jewelry, vodka, cognac)

-talks of being abused

-calls the columbine killers martyrs, mentions their first names

I am trying to find video to embed but it isn't going to be easy right now, I am sure NBC is going to keep it close to the vest.

FNC said some of the 23 video clips were filmed 6 days prior to the shootings

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   
was watching some media reports
sickening

worlds full of to many nut cases

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

FNC said some of the 23 video clips were filmed 6 days prior to the shootings

This is interesting due to the fact that it gives evidence that Cho did not act spuriously after he killed the girl and RA. It shows intent way beforehand that he wanted to go on a killing spree and kill himself.
If true, why would he want to file the numbers off the guns?
Identity concealment would seem to be a moot point after suicide.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Updated story at MSNBC.com and a picture slideshow of 13 images Cho sent to NBC including a pic of the envelope with Ismael in the return section.

‘When the time came, I did it,’ says message mailed between shootings

The material does not include any images of the shootings Monday, but it does contain vague references. And it mentions “martyrs like Eric and Dylan” — apparently a reference to Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, the teenagers who killed 12 students and a teacher at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colo., four years ago this coming Friday.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdp333
This is interesting due to the fact that it gives evidence that Cho did not act spuriously after he killed the girl and RA. It shows intent way beforehand that he wanted to go on a killing spree and kill himself.

I'm guessing that he changed his MO towards end. First he may have been thinking of doing the shooting, dumping the guns and running. That would make sense with filing the serial numbers off. But it seems that he later decided to do himself in and go completely public with the whole thing.

Thats the feeling I'm getting after watching some of these videos he mailed to NBC.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I'm watching this on fox and cnn. They show clips, however some things he say's I can understand. Other things it's hard to hear what he is saying.

I think I caught the words "you made me do this." Who made him do this?

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nemithesis

I'm guessing that he changed his MO towards end. First he may have been thinking of doing the shooting, dumping the guns and running. That would make sense with filing the serial numbers off. But it seems that he later decided to do himself in and go completely public with the whole thing.

.....But he mailed the video to NBC BEFORE going on the spree. His identity was going to be revealed anyway regardless of whether he killed himself or not. The gun number filing just doesn't fit somehow.........

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Just perception here, it looks like some of the ranting videos were from earlier and the later ones more subdued, if you can call it that , like he was venting in a most disturbing way, I wonder if he kept watching his own videos from earlier and convinced himself that this was his only escape from the hell that was himself.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   
---edited because of double post---

[edit on 18-4-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdp333

We know he was crazy, he might have thought that he would be able to escape and kill more people. I think he intended to kill a lot more people in the campus, or elsewhere.

It is possible that he thought he would be able to escape by dropping those guns and ammo, then mingle with some students, and then to continue killing someplace else at the campus.

Have the authorities said anything about other weapons he might have bought?

His mind could have been too confused and he just filed those numbers for no reason. But I think he might have intended to drop those weapons, and pick some other weapons somewhere else where he could have hid them.

It is obvious by the video he sent to NBC that he knew that would be his last day, but that lunatic really planned the massacre.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join