It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CU Junior Arrested For Comments About Virginia Tech Gunman

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   

CU Junior Arrested For Comments About Virginia Tech Gunman

www.thedenverchannel.com

A University of Colorado junior has been arrested, and suspended from school, after allegedly making comments that sounded sympathetic to the Virginia Tech gunman.

Police arrested CU-Boulder student Max Karson Tuesday on suspicion of interfering with staff, faculty or students of an educational institution.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   
As twisted as this individual may be for "sympathizing" the Virginia Tech shooter, he still has not made a "direct" threat to anyone, as is required by US law.

This is still America, not a police state.

www.thedenverchannel.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Special thanks to Vinadetta for supplying the link.

[edit on 4/18/2007 by Infoholic]

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infoholic

As twisted as this individual may be for "sympathizing" the Virginia Tech shooter, he still has not made a "direct" threat to anyone, as is required by US law.

This is still America, not a police state.

Well, you see, it is a case of "damned if you do and damned if you don't".

There are several people who only after having 20/20 insight of the events of Virginia tech, are now claiming the police could have done better to stop what happened there, or at least stopped it before the second massacre...

So does the police/authorities try to stop such occurrences when the first signs appear? Sorry to tell you that "sympathizing with this shooter" could be a sign of mental imbalance.

Perhaps this student didn't think much of it, but by sympathizing with the Virginia Tech murderer, this student is condoning the murder of others.

There is no reason, unless it is self defense, to kill other people much less for desilussioned love, or even for being bullied.

[edit on 18-4-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   

There is no reason, unless it is self defense, to kill other people much less for desilussioned love, or even for being bullied.

If more people would shoot the local bully, there'd be a lot fewer bullies around.
IMHO killing someone who is bullying you is self defense.

Not that this has much to do with the VA shootings, there's no indication this guy even knew any of the people he killed.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   
20/20 insight of the events would mean they needed to take steps to prevent another situation just like it... I completely agree. What I disagree with is the idea they feel they have a right to arrest anyone that wishes to "cry for help".

People with mental imbalances are still treated like human beings... being able to lead normal lives... outside of a jail room.

If this person was in fact insinuating that he was going to do the same, due to a show of a mental imbalance... don't you think he should be given the "mental health" assistance, instead of being locked away like a criminal that didn't do anything wrong?

It doesn't matter if I, you, or anyone "condoned" the murders of others... I, you, or anyone didn't make a direct threat to anyone. The idea of a "perceived" threat will not be upheld in a court of law. It has to be a direct threat.

Being bullied only wears weary the minds of impressionable millions... is it they that need to be arrested or punished?

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Karson said he was "angry about all kinds of things from the fluorescent light bulbs to the unpainted walls, and it made him angry enough to kill people," multiple witnesses told police, according to a police report.Source.

That's all he said? Ok, now I hear sarcastic remarks like that about different things all the time. I don't take it seriously though.

Something similar to this happened after Columbine to me. Because of the fact that I wore all black (no trenchcoat, too hot) and I listened to Marilyn Manson, first I was called to the counselor, because obviously I was "troubled" if I wore black clothes. Everything was cool after that for a little while, when I convinced her I wasn't going to kill anyone (can you imagine?) A month later, I gave a friend of mine a cross that I used to wear (wasn't exactly practicing Christianity at that point, anyhow). What happened? "I was giving away personal possessions, a sign of depression, suicidal thoughts, and being about to explode."

I gave it to her because I was thoroughly disgusted with religion at that point in life, and knew she liked the cross. Didn't stop the paranoia from making high school that year a bit more difficult, since rumors began to fly.

Reactionary paranoia of everything is so unhealthy. It would be like if everytime I saw someone walk into the bank when I was there, I'd fall to the floor with my hands behind the head, in case he was a robber. It feeds itself, and makes things worse, imo.

If that kid had no intention of doing anything, and now has his picture all over the internet because a few people "thought he meant something the wrong way," he's going to be screwed where he lives. And that alone, gives me sympathy for this dude, until I hear something a bit more conclusive.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex

If more people would shoot the local bully, there'd be a lot fewer bullies around.

R U Kidding? In light of the obvious lack of thought behind your statement I will refrain from commenting on what I really think.

AAC

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   

No, you stand up to the bully...you don't commit murder.

No offense, but that's one of the stupidest comments i have heard/read in a while...

If someone is bullying you, stand up to them, use your wits. If the bully attacks you defend yourself, after a while either he will stop bullying you and move on to easier target, or you will learn to defend yourself.

The only reason anyone should kill a bully is if the bully is trying to kill you.

Not that this has much to do with the VA shootings, there's no indication this guy even knew any of the people he killed.

It was supposedly for desilusioned love, but there have been some members who have claimed the murderer was bullied, and this is why he murdered so many people.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82

That's all he said? Ok, now I hear sarcastic remarks like that about different things all the time. I don't take it seriously though.

Perhaps you think it is normal/ok, and everyone does it all the time...

But neither is it ok, nor does most people resort to threatening with killing others because things bother them....

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Welcome to era of Mass Paranoia!!!! I thought I was a little overly the top paranoid do the amount of Conspiracy's I believe in. However, I don't think I'm nearly as paranoid and fear stricken as the American Public!!! The mass media is disgusting, everything they do seems to evoke fear into us!!! It is this fear that controls our lives!!!!

Today's parents are so overly protective of their children they basically force them to live inside a bubble, in fear that they will get hurt, kidnapped, poisoned, or what have you. Parents barely let kids play outside anymore!!

I truly believe that growing up post 9-11 is radically different than ever before!! I think most of the people that are so paranoid about life, are the ones that live in nice suburban neighborhoods!!! Our school system is totally overly paranoid because of Media, and the way that they cover events like this.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
Perhaps you think it is normal/ok, and everyone does it all the time...

But neither is it ok, nor does most people resort to threatening with killing others because things bother them....

I'm just saying he could have been being sarcastic. It isn't that far out there. If someone just discovered that there dog destroyed all of their flower gardens, and the person said "i'm gonna kill that whipper-snapper", should I be calling the police for animal abuse?

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vinadetta
Welcome to era of Mass Paranoia!!!!

Paranoia indeed... i can take a ride anywhere in Wyoming and i still see people letting their children play outside. The public sport courts always have children and adolescents playing tennis, soccer and other sports.

I don't know where you live, but around these parts people still let their children play outside..

Well, maybe it has to do with the fact that most people around here are armed, so there is little to no crime around here.

You can leave the key in your car, and the car running and go inside a store and noone will take your car....

People leave their cars, bicycles, motorcycles and even their choppers unlocked around here, and they stay that way overnight and noone steals them...

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Well they must be very paranoid since they armed and in Wyoming!!!! That is true paranoia at it's best. Of course small town communities that are rural are you are more likely to still see people that leave keys in cars, houses unlocked etc!! I highly doubt you see that in any metropolitian city or suburbs

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   

I'm just saying he could have been being sarcastic.

Threatening with killing other people because things bother you is more than being sarcastic...

I am very sarcastic and i don't threaten people with killing them....

Sarcasm and threats are not the same...

It isn't that far out there. If someone just discovered that there dog destroyed all of their flower gardens, and the person said "i'm gonna kill that whipper-snapper", should I be calling the police for animal abuse?

First of all that's an entire different issue. Personally, I wouldn't threaten or beat the other dog, unless it is attacking anyone in my family or one of my pets.

Second of all, threatening people you don't know should never be considered as just being sarcastic...

One thing is to play around with a friend, another one is doing so with other people who don't know you and who you don't know. How do people who don't know you can be certain you are not crazy?...

As an example, look at the threat made in the other Universities around the country after the Virginia Tech murders.. maybe some smartass and his/her friends decided it would be funny to make those threats in the other Universities... But it is not funny in the least, more so when people could get hurt thinking there is a real threat... but there are people who don't think of others and only think of "having fun at the expense of other people"....

You should be using common sense niteboy82, common sense.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

No, you stand up to the bully...you don't commit murder.

No offense, but that's one of the stupidest comments i have heard/read in a while...

If someone is bullying you, stand up to them, use your wits. If the bully attacks you defend yourself, after a while either he will stop bullying you and move on to easier target, or you will learn to defend yourself.

The only reason anyone should kill a bully is if the bully is trying to kill you.

obviously you have never been in a real situation where day to day you are bullied and picked on in a school situation that you cannot get out of, because "children don't have rights." but i'll let you go because obviously your knee-jerk reaction to this comment was based off ignorance.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
welcome to the "American Dream ... eh Nightmare" ..

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Police arrested CU-Boulder student Max Karson Tuesday on suspicion of interfering with staff, faculty or students of an educational institution.

He was arrested "on suspicion" of interfering with staff, faculty or students of an educational institution?

By Colorado State Law, and by voicing self opinions, they have adjudicated him of the following offense in the State of Colorado.

23-5-124. Student enrollment - prohibition - public peace and order convictions.
- (2) A student who is enrolled in a state-supported institution of higher education and who is convicted of a riot offense shall be immediately suspended from the institution upon the institution's notification of such conviction for a period of twelve months following the date of conviction; except that if a student has been suspended prior to the date of conviction by the state-supported institution of higher education for the same riot activity, the twelve month suspension shall run from the start of the suspension imposed by the institution.
enciting a riot?

and by here, they've waived their responsibility to him...

2) 23-19.5-104. Duty - immunity from liability.
- This article shall not impose a new duty on a state institution or modify an existing duty under law to either monitor behavior or identify circumstances under which a student poses a risk to himself or herself.
suicidal thoughts?

I did not see that he incited a riot?

[edited to fix broken links]

[edit on 4/18/2007 by Infoholic]

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Well they must be very paranoid since they armed and in Wyoming!!!!
That is true paranoia at it's best.

Paranoid?... not really... When I said "paranoia indeed" I was talking about your own statements....

Most people have owned guns around these parts for hundreds of years...no paranoia involved...

Of course small town communities that are rural are you are more likely to still see people that leave keys in cars, houses unlocked etc!! I highly doubt you see that in any metropolitian city or suburbs

The paranoia happens in large cities, and has been so for a long time even before 9/11.

I live in the outskirts of a medium sized city, with 50,000-60,000 people, without counting those of us in the city outskirts and mountains around here. I go to the city at least once a week, or unless we need supplies.

BTW, there are some Muslim people living here too, noone goes after them or accuses them of anything. Everyone is polite around these parts, always greeting you with a "howdy" or "goodmorning/evening/afternoon", and people help you if they see that you need some help.

You will see more racism going on farther up north in Montana and almost getting to the Canadian border, but in these parts there is not much racism.

I know people in these parts who are co-workers and friends and are Russian, Venezuelan, Ethiopian, Iranian, and other nationalities. Granted we are a minority, i was born in Cuba, but you have people from all nationalities also living here with no problems.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   
According to the article he said "he was angry enough to kill his classmates." That is a threat. Sounds like the dude has a screw loose and/or was trying to get some attention.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   
It sounds like the VT incident is giving him the little push he needs to possibly act on his pent up aggression. While we have no history on this individual, I feel, in light of the VT events, the CU staff took appropriate measures.

Imagine if this kid was not removed and did the same thing and your child, relative, or friend was killed. Wouldn't you be pissed if you found out after the fact that numerous faculty and students heard him making threats but did nothing?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join