It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freedom of speech blocked

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Speech isn't completely free in America. You can not threaten harm in any way. It doesn't matter if it's a joke, or somehow religious expression. If you really believe America has completely free speech, you need to brush up on your history.

Caplinksy v. New Hampshire (1942)

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   
everyone has freedom of speech, it costs nothing, the repercussions of said speech might tho LOL

I have been in a blind rage before, and I have killed before, ( but the two events were not at the same time ) I can understand the feeling of pain and frustration. like a trapped animal that has been hurt, it will lash out in it's pain.

The Media hound is a different story though, he did what he did for shock value, to get a reaction, nothing more, and they fell for it it's call "bait" I bet he gets a book deal and a lawsuit out of it all , and I don't blame him.

The guilt that is felt by the VT administrators will reverberate for years to come across college campus' in the USA because they ALL would have done the same thing, CYA with the 1st killings, (no one wants bad press)

Will some good come out of this mess, most likely not, what I find appalling is that no one was willing to stop the killer at all, they just ran, worried about themselves and no one else, A teacher held the door shut to save people, but no group bum rushed him.

I've helped out when women were getting roughed up and beaten by males in public, been cut and stabbed and even shot once, but ALL of the women lived, and I healed.

Are we creating Cowards in our higher educational system? or do they really think that they are "always" going to be safe? if nothing else is learned it should be well known that life is Never "safe" otherwise, it's not really living

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   
That's why I'm not sure of school shooting should be publicized so widely. The guy in Columbine killed 9 or something, then this guy kills 32, theres always gonna be someone else who's going to try and top them. They shouldn't make a big deal about it and keep it on the low. They're just giving crazy students around the world something to think about.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I am not shocked that someone would do something so stupid like that it really does not surprise me at all one way or the other he must have been an attention seeker and the police with the current atmosphere have acted on better instinct and assumed he might be a threat. It's likely he's sat in a police cell some place thinking this was really stupid of me and I've likely made a lot or people angry.

As for making this story low profile that's never going to happen. I really don't see how you could make something like this minor news I mean the main story that is absurd and also wrong. I am disgusted with the persons said actions and they have behaved appallingly but then again what's new these days your get sick people like that any place in the world and sadly life is like that.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Of course they'll report on a person murdering 30 innocent people. It's bad news, and tragedy tears at the heart strings. Tragedy keeps you glued to the seat while you listen and watch and wonder why such terrible things happen.

And of course, the world is such a horrible, terrible, low down place that such evil things happen. Rotten to the core and getting rotten-er.

See, they don't discuss good news, because people don't get excited about good news all that much. Good news doesn't linger in your thoughts and feelings. There's no market for good news, it's news that terrifies or hurts that people end up spending the most time on.

It is a pity that in this country, there are places where you cannot be free to say whatever you wish. Sticks and Stones and all that rot. It is also a pity that, daily, the concept of "Better Safe than Sorry" becomes more and more prevalent.

One day we'll all be safe, because there will be a curfew and anyone suspicious will be shot. Better safe, after all.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Quite frankly this was a persons oppinion. How that could be viewed as a threat is beyond me.

I also understand how this persons mind could be askewed enough to commit such a horrible act. Does it mean I'll be doing the same? Hell no. It just means that I've looked into enough tortured personalities to understand how they tick.

Does that make me a threat? Only if the government has the same mentality as the person who shot up that school.

People will fear anything they don't understand. And anyone who seeks to understand how it could have occured will be viewed as a threat. Especially by the American people.

This is no better than the witch trials. Anyone who tries to step in the way of knowlege should be convicted to time, in my oppinion.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Defining someones intentions is very dangerous ground,but I guess they have different 'free speech' views in Colorado.

www.infowars.com...

DENVER | White House officials have the right to exclude dissenters from appearances by President Bush, according to lawyers for volunteers who helped eject three people from a hall where Bush was about to speak.

Defense attorneys made the argument last week in a civil suit filed against Michael Casper and Jay Bob Klinkerman. The suit was filed by Leslie Weise and Alex Young of Denver, who were told to leave just before Bush was to talk about his plans for Social Security at the March 21, 2005, taxpayer-funded event in Denver.

A taxpayer-funded event....taxpayer-funded...this isn't some campaign event...we funded it. And again with the intentions...These people had done nothing...They showed up in a car with an anti bush bumper sticker. Yes our free speech rights are very much in danger.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Well if he understood why someone would do this, would that not make him already having the same feelings and the possibility of unleashing them in a similar fashion? I'd guess he's just being held in precaution due to fear of copy cats surfacing in the coming days.. Fox news isn't exactly my favorite news outlet either..

What a cop out!
JUstify this madness if you will.....
But it is plainly a matter of trodding on the civil rights of one person so that a grieving nation can be spared the anxiety of being exposed to viewpoints that could trigger their pent up rage.

The thought police in action.....

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 08:28 AM
link   
What part of:

said he was "angry about all kinds of things from the fluorescent light bulbs to the unpainted walls, and it made him angry enough to kill people," multiple witnesses told police, according to a police report.

don't some of you get?

He said it in the middle of a bunch of students.

The students should of just brushed it off, thinking this guy is talking BS?
That, after Modays massacre, the students should not of been concerned for their own safety?

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Karson was not charged with making a threat.

Max Karson, the student, was charged with interfering with staff, faculty members or students of an educational institution.
Source

That's probably because he didn't make a threat to anyone. And just because people are scared doesn't mean it's right to arrest someone.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   
BH, you are absolutely correct. He was not arrested for making threats. I pointed out earlier in the discussion the actual Colorado State laws in regards to colleges. They have legislation, for the closest you can get to this topic, against inciting a riot, of which they have labeled him for doing (by the statements of why he was arrested, like you pointed out).

Was there a riot that ensued? Nope. One girl *freaked out*. That was a knee jerk reaction to his statement. That was a far cry from a riot.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   
This guy should NEVER have been arrested.
He should have been taken aside by his superiors and dealt with away from that situation.
Consider this....If any person who is capable of doing what happened at VA fears arrest and punishment for speaking their mind about their issues they will just shut up and keep silent. Therefore there are no clues as to these people and the horrors they could be capable of committing.
Any suspicions should be dealt with quickly and professionally and neccessary steps then taken. The last thing needed is to drive these troubled people into silence and secrecy about their intentions, if any.
If this guy in question was to "snap" about his voiced problems then he would be smashing flourescent lights and throwing paint at walls.
Once again the heavy hand deals it's blow from fear and paranoia.
Where is it going to end?

Yes, to understand why someone does something considered evil does not mean we are capable of it ourselves. When put on the spot or under pressure, people OFTEN say things they don't really mean. OFTEN.

This all just makes me feel
His classmates (I use that term loosely) and tutors should be more responsible. If they take his chance of that education away I wonder how pissed off and VENGEFUL he will then feel.

ENOUGH

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join