It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Dead Set Against European Missile Shield

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Russia Dead Set Against European Missile Shield

www.bloomberg.com

U.S. plans for a missile-defense shield are reopening Cold War-era cracks in Europe, with politicians warning of a new arms race, Germany's government split and Russia growling about American aggression.

The U.S. will use meetings with NATO and Russian ambassadors tomorrow in Brussels to defend its plans to build an anti-missile system in Poland and the Czech Republic, saying the West needs a hedge against the threat of Iran developing nuclear warheads.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
archive.gulfnews.com

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Why would Russia be so obstinent over a missile system that is purely defensive in nature? Unless the sleeping Bear has thoughts of a future invasion of those countries were trying to protect. The secondary article states that putin is trying to split europe on the issue of missle defense but I believe it's much more than that. they seem to angery over the issue for it to be mear politics.

www.bloomberg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   
You have to take it from the Russia view. The US isn't kind about Russia, they want to put a puppet government in Russia, they want to ``win`` for real the cold war. And the move to a missile shield for Iran is BS, they want to protect themselves against Russia when they decide it or they have the upper hand on them.

Anyway they are saying with this crap that Iran can have his nuclear bombs, then in the whole media, diplomacy crap, they say Iran will never get nuclear bombs. So it's clearly against Russia. And before striking Europe, they have better targets like Israël, US troops in Iraq, Saudi Arabia... Greats targets... Europe, it's far and anyway they have better targets and just enough missiles to strike Israël and the US forces in the ME, not enough to strike Europe.

And also it's the militaro-industrial complex again lobbying to make money over a BS threat.

[edit on 17-4-2007 by Vitchilo]

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_sentinal

Why would Russia be so obstinent over a missile system that is purely defensive in nature?

I can easily see why they would have a problem with these missiles being put where they are being proposed to be placed, just like my government (the USA) would have a problem with Russia putting missiles as close to our borders.

The closest distance between Poland and Russia is around 250 miles. The closest distance from Poland's border to Moscow is around 580 miles. (I came up with these distances using Google Earth, please blame Google Earth if they are not "perfect".)

I think people just have to reverse what is being proposed here.

What if Russia was doing the same thing this close to US borders and was proposing to put missiles as close to our borders, and especially that close to Washington,DC.

The missiles are said to be "defensive" only, but who really knows.

I surely think, (or at least hope), the US government would also rise up in defiance of Russia setting up missiles this close to our borders and capitol.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   
That is a good point. To play devil's advocate there's two ways the Russians could see this.

1. In theory we could strap nuclear warheads on to these I suppose, thus causing a reverse Cuban missile crisis.

2. If we developed an advanced enough system and build enough systems it could make us completely immune to nuclear attack in the future. So perhaps in say twenty years we decide to upgrade the systems in Poland to the point where Russian missiles coming from the west would be useless, a base in Alaska to make eastern and northern missiles useless, the Ruskies wouldn't be able to harm us nuclear wise if it got to that. And if that happens then there goes the ace up the sleeve. If they can't hit us with nukes then what would be to stop us from hitting them with nukes?

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Russia has been worried about U.S. expansion ever since the Cold War ended. We have essentially surrounded them with bases on all sides, (Japan, Europe, Middle East) and now we are making moves towards the massive oil stockpile that exists in the Middle East. Geographically speaking, Russia has a lot to be worried about. Add to the fact that we want to place surface to air missiles right next door, and they aren't going to allow this without a complaint.

Keep in mind that it was Russia who gave prewar invasion plans to Saddam.

As Putin continues to consolidate power and threaten oil dominance across Europe, a slide back into a Cold War could be distinct possibility. However, this time around the game is much more dangerous.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
That is a good point. To play devil's advocate there's two ways the Russians could see this.

1. In theory we could strap nuclear warheads on to these I suppose, thus causing a reverse Cuban missile crisis.

2. If we developed an advanced enough system and build enough systems it could make us completely immune to nuclear attack in the future. So perhaps in say twenty years we decide to upgrade the systems in Poland to the point where Russian missiles coming from the west would be useless, a base in Alaska to make eastern and northern missiles useless, the Ruskies wouldn't be able to harm us nuclear wise if it got to that. And if that happens then there goes the ace up the sleeve. If they can't hit us with nukes then what would be to stop us from hitting them with nukes?

Right on..
causing an imbalance in the current nuclear parity would most obviously create a new arms race.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 05:57 AM
link   
To be honest with you, I think our Cronies and their Cronies miss the old days of cold war tension and were hoping for something just like this to happen. All these guys were out of work soon after the Berlin Wall came down and the Iron Curtain came crashing down along with it. Not to forget the defense companies profitted greatly from the mutual paranoia each side had.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
they want to protect themselves against Russia when they decide it or they have the upper hand on them.

Hmmm, explain to me how the missile shield would prevent the Russians from launching a deveestating strike? I mean given the numbers of warheads and delivery systems, are they worried about NOT bouncing the rubble a 5th time or something?

Now if you are saying that thier strategic forces has degraded to the point where a defensive shield that is designed at best to knock down a max of ten missiles is a threat then thats a whole nother discussion.

Russia just has a bee in its bonnet over this and nothing else.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   
The Russians are concerned because a fully functional ABM system this close effectively gives the US a immunized first strike capability - the US could launch against Russia and theoretically take out the Russian retaliatory strike.

Granted the current system is nowhere nearly effective enough to accomplish this now, but I don't blame them for being concerned. Why the hell does the US want to place ABM systems in Poland anyway, except as a knife at the Russians' throats?

It's a spectacularly dumb idea.

top topics

join