It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California county tags gang members with GPS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   

California county tags gang members with GPS

arstechnica.com

San Bernardino county wants to start tagging gangbangers with GPS transponders. County commissioners have applied to the state to be part of a pilot program that would monitor all offenders who are released from jail after serving time for gang-related activities.

The program, which the county has started implementing on its own, is an innovative attempt to tackle the problem of gang violence, but it builds on similar California initiatives already underway. Last year, for instance, California voters enacted Jessica's Law, which forced all sex offenders to live more than 2,000 feet away from schools and parks. The law also require that all felony sex offenders submit to GPS-based electronic monitoring—for the rest of their lives. That's right, the bracelets need to stay on even after sentences are served and parole is over.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
How crazy is this, that the MAN wants to tag all the gangstas comign out of jail?

Crazy it might be, but it does seem like somewhat of a good idea. Most of these people are repeat offenders, and maybe this will help to curb the violence that these people continure to perpetrate.

Somehow, I can see the trickle down effect with the general public, but what are the chances of that?

Is this bad or good

arstechnica.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Personally I am against this, the individual has served there time, and
tagging them basically says that you will never be equal or free again.

Apart from that, I ama gainst involuntary chipping/taggin or whatever
word is used.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Are you still against this if the person is a repeat offender, and it signals that they will most likely commit another crime?

I am against this for petty crimes like people that steal food or deal with soft drugs, but for people like sex offenders, killers and anything else that rankos up there with those sort of crimes, I think that tagging them would be a great solution.

All that being said, I am on the fence 50/50 as to whether it is the right thing to do.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
First it's with people with mental health problem, now this.... I won't say the old thing like... I wasn't a gangster so I didn't talked... When they came for me there was no one to defend me...

Seriously, this is what they want, first use it like it seems it's good, then it's on you.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Don Wahn
Are you still against this if the person is a repeat offender, and it signals that they will most likely commit another crime?

Well, if a person is a repeat offendor of a serious crime, they should
not really be released back into society unless they are truly reformed.

new topics

top topics

join