It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Preconceptions, not good for Denying Ignorance.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
There has been a lot of posting lately that has taken into account a members nationality, race, religion, etc. If you're American you must be a gun toting, promoting hot head. If you're white/black you don't care about, or understand the issues of members of the opposite color. If you're Muslim you must want jihad on the world. If you're a Jew you must be a Zionist. A German, a Nazi? French? A "cheese eating surrender monkey"?

I've seen these pulled out on the board like a weapon. Wow, if your argument is that weak that you need to result to this type of posting, why bother? We are all here to get closer to the truth of what is happening in the world. These preconceptions are getting in the way of that. They are actually hampering what we are trying to achieve. The powers that be are ahead of us in knowing what REALLY is the truth, if we allow these divisions to get in the way of the knowledge that we ALL have to share with one another we ALL lose.

This is Abovetopsecret, not Yahoogroups. Let's treat our topics AND our members with the decorum that we have always promoted. Remember, Courtesy is Mandatory. Treat each other well, we are ALL here for the same reason, together we will achieve more.

Edit: Syntax.

[edit on 17-4-2007 by intrepid]

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I totally agree!

It is these kind of divisions that are hindering progress in the right direction. This forum would be a good place to start breaking down the barriers...

50/50

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I call these preconceptions "underlying assumptions". For example, if I say I don't think Imus should have been fired, people assume that lying under that statement is the opinion that I support what he said. Wrong!

If I post a source that happens to be from a "conservative" point of view, people assume that lying under that is my political preference. In other words, that I'm a Bush supporter. Wrong!

If I speak out in favor of "personal responsibility", people assume that lying under my advocacy is a heart void of empathy. Wrong!

People love labels!
It's so nice to have everyone on the board properly categorized in their little boxes with their little labels on their chest. It gives us the illusion of control. Again, wrong. And it doesn't give us the credit for being complex, multifaceted individuals.

It takes all kinds...

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Cheese eating surrender monkeys... Yummmm. I'll take two, with fries please.

On a more serious note, Any preconceptions, not just race, gender, religion, or creed, are incompatible with the Denial of Ignorance. I have seen a number of members with erroneous preconceived notions on all sorts of topics. Keep the mind open and seek truth.

Hey, can I get my cheese eating surrender monkeys to go? Extra cheese please.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Gender? Forgot that one, thanks for pointing it out Terapin.

Originally posted by Terapin
Keep the mind open and seek truth.

Exactly.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
This is something that I have noticed on most boards. It seems to me that no matter what you say to these people or present to them that indeed proves their preconceived ideas incorrect, they will still insist on it being true. The most obvious example is over at the "secret Society" forum. It doesn't matter what one shows or tells an anti-Mason, they will still insist that Masons are "Satan Worshipping gorillas who want to eat your brains."

Most of the posters who continue to operate on a preconceived notion I either place on ignore, or do not respond to their posts.

[edit on 17-4-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Does this "non-name calling" apply to u2u's too?
I have been called a dope smokin, hippie, queer and threatened
with physical violence of a most unusual sort with the
use of a computer keyboard.

I'll have you know; I'm as hetero as the next guy.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   
So you are a dope smoking hippie??? Just kidding.

If anyone threatens you in a forum or through a U2U, Let a Moderator know right away! You can send a copy of the offending u2u to a moderator.

That is unacceptable behavior and they will deal with it promptly.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terapin
So you are a dope smoking hippie??? Just kidding.

If anyone threatens you in a forum or through a U2U, Let a Moderator know right away! You can send a copy of the offending u2u to a moderator.

That is unacceptable behavior and they will deal with it promptly.

Well, I'm not a tattle tale and I also know that it is very easy on the www. to
adopt a persona that has little basis in reality. And in the heat of the
moment some people fly off the handle and say things they later regret.
I have! I must admit I'm guilty of the "Preconception" but I'll try and watch it in the Future.

Namaste
whaaa

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

All u2u's sent by members on Above Top Secret are required to abide by the Terms & Conditions Of Use.

If any member receives a threatening u2u from any other member, staff included, please forward them immediately to the Complaint Forum to be viewed by all staff.

u2u's are private, but they are subject for review upon any report of abuse.

[edit on 17-4-2007 by chissler]

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Ad Hominem, Ad Nauseam

I would just like to add that assertions based on ad hominem attacks are fallacies, which is a very weak foundation for an argument.

In most cases I've seen in our forums, they tend to reflect prejudice and bias on the part of the member making them rather than any sort of factual statement.

Whether intentional or not, such arguments favor deception over substance. They also derail and disrupt discussion, which -- deliberately or not -- serves to drive attention away from key questions and issues related to the topics we seek to explore, which is antithetical to the goal of Denying Ignorance.

Nobody's perfect. We are all subject to having our buttons pushed at some point or another and posting things we might later regret.

The moderator staff, being itself composed entirely of active volunteer members, recognizes this and endeavors to be understanding and reasonable when problems arise.

In return, we ask that all members do their best to honor the AboveTopSecret.com Terms And Conditions Of Use and treat other members with respect, because that is the only way a community like ours can flourish.

And flourish it does.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I will gladly exchange it for your paradigms.................

everything that we humans do is based on past experience, it colors our thoughts, the trick is to be open to new experiences, which foster new Ideas and new ways of seeing things. it's is difficult to do all the time, but with practice your paradigms will fall away........

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I think we all have to re-member to accept ignorance to a degree as well. If we don't, we can't teach the ignorant.

If we only deny the ignorant and for get to also accept it for its unawareness, then we become ignorant of ignorance. In this way we would not be aware that we are creating and accepting our own ignorance in the process of denying the ignorant. We can't leave the ignorant behind, but we also can't stoop to their level. We can eventually leave ignorance behind, but we also can't be ignorant of it in the process. Be a beacon of light and truth.

Rampage on ATS

[edit on 20-4-2007 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
I have been called a dope smokin, hippie, queer and threatened
with physical violence of a most unusual sort with the
use of a computer keyboard.

I'll have you know; I'm as hetero as the next guy.

Now wait a minute... I never said hippie.

I almost feel left out. No bizarre u2u's or nuthin'. I said almost.

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Preconceptions lead to self-deciet. Look no further than political bias brain scan studies for scientific proof of that:
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

Preconceptions that are tied with social group affiliations amplifies this human phenomenon greatly.

[edit on 21-4-2007 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

top topics

join