It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will we ever be really safe from School Shootings.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   
With this at Virginia Tech, all of the highschool shootings. Will there ever be a place children, and adults can go to learn with out some
taking advantage of the large groups to attack them with automatic rifles.

video of Virginia tech:
www.cnn.com.../video/us/2007/04/16/sot.va.tech.shooting.barghouti.cnn&wm=11

We already know why these kids do it. They are nuts, and see it as a way of being famous, or revenge because they were mean to them. So to me this is a Non-issue.

What do we need to do, make our schools into Prison, or Forts where people are checked and searched all the time. Our do we have to take the good with the bad, when it comes to freedome. If we do this do we let the
's of the world win. If we do this, do we kill the free expression of idea's

The guy at Virginia Tech wasn't even suppost to be able to get into the second dorm room before with the passcard he had. Do we need to go back to personal guards who watch each Dorm room. Granted it will take away the freedom's of those, but it might be worth it to go to bed feeling safe. Maybe its time to go away from the RA's of the world and start hiring professional protectors. The Universities, and Colleges have always tried to pass off this kind of work on other students with the RA job.

What do you people think?

Virginia Tech president defends security response:

www.cnn.com...

(CNN) -- The president of Virginia Tech on Tuesday defended authorities' initial response to shootings at two university buildings that left 33 people dead, including the gunman.

A day after the killings, Virginia Tech police and university officials were answering questions about why no campuswide warning was issued until about two hours after the first attack.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Why was their no Campuswide Warning

In this day and age should all shootings be automatically sent out as a warning, or would this create a hysteria?

There are also people who stood up and died as hero's. Like the professor who held the door shut while being shot at blocking the killer from entering the class room. He held him off enough to for seven or eight kids to escape.

www.foxnews.com...

We need to train the teachers what to do, and make the classroom better able to survive an attack.

[edit on 17-4-2007 by Royal76]

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Unlike some 'random' shooting instances, there were no victims in the immediate area that could defend themselves effectively. Take for instance the recent mall rampage in Utah; the gunman had much more of an arsenal than this college kid did. Yet, there were individuals in the Mall that could stop the full distructive power - with, ironically, a gun. Granted, the Utah example was with an off-duty police officer, but it is just one case of many where violence was limited due to the ability to fight back.

It distresses me that we underestimate the responsibility and reliability of an average American citizen in possession of a firearm in public, or concealed for that matter. Perhaps this is just a flight of fancy, but we all could be singing a different tune if one or two adults in that university building were armed. Universities offer one of the greatest incentives for a mad man to act this way: All potental victims should be unarmed (by federal law) - it would be hard to impede his or her will. This was NOT a highschool; most, if not all individuals there were adults - it is not wrong to advocate that responsible adult citizens should have the ability to protect themselves anywhere. It is obvious that the government can not look out for your wellbeing at all times.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
How about swithing out RA's with what the Airlines do.

School Marshall's? instead of Airmarshalls.

I know it sounds kind of cheesy but, I guarantee there would be a lot more people in Blacksburgh, Virgina breathing today if there were School Marshalls . The "Campus" Police are totally out of touch and lack the right to do anything. I'm not saying we should "Nazi" or "police state" our Universities. But maybe we really need "Special" people who can be a friend to a growing teen, and also kill a psycho on a shooting rampage.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   
News is that there were numerous fake "bomb threats" to test the system.

What I want to know is why wasn't there hightened security after all of these threats? You have bomb threats, a shooting and still no shut down of the school or school wide warning sent out. They neglected to respond school wide until it was way too late.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I don't know what the answer is; I wish I did. I admit to worrying about my daughter who is away at school; her dorm seems secure but........who knows. It breaks my heart to think of the pain the parents and family of the victims they are in my prayers and thoughts. Maybe an armed guard in the dorms isn't a bad idea; I just hate the thought of turning college campuses into armed camps.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   
The problem with oversafety is the killing of the freedom of learning.

Maybe they could have the ability to lock down individual buildings better. Think of each building as a whole, with certain groups who's only responsibility is that building. If nothing else each building should have a Highly Trained campus guard/cop who should be able to contain the psycho.

What about the thoughts of arming professors. I'm not really sure about that but people keep bringing it up.

What do you think?

[edit on 18-4-2007 by Royal76]

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Do you think that it might be prudent to keep crazy people locked up?
Cho had been institutionalized but was still able to buy a gun.
So much for background checks!

Prevention would be better than protection.

Arming professors.............stupid idea, a couple of crazies would have no trouble taking the gun from a teacher. Instant gun, instant slaughter.

Security on Campus...... either old and retired or geeks. feel safe?

It's a brave new world, welcome to the monkey house!

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   
What I'm saying is for the Colleges and Universities to start a new Agency.

Highly trained, and paid Guards. They will have to be as good as a secret service/FBI agent yet have to deal with the normal
that people have to put up with college kids. There is enough money around, far more availible than most people realize. That is the only way to preserve the saftey along with the freedom of movement and thinking that comes with the College/University experience. I'm sure there are plenty of $$ alumni will to help keep their own children and alma-mater safe yet keep it from being a lockdown prison.

What about training for Professors too. They have fire drills, Bomb drill, now they may have to have Gunman drills too.

[edit on 19-4-2007 by Royal76]

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   
That Nobody has anymore thoughts on this subject.

Is it because you can't think of anything to say, or is the subject not worth everyone talking about.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   
No, is the answer. society has made rules where its a dog eat dog world. i notice the governments have created a situation where everyone is against everyone and fighting for there survival.

schools can be rotten places, and america seems to have alot of bad ones, and with so much going on today, there will always be things like this, as people are just rotten to each other, and they love the fact when they can destroy people with bullying or isolating others.

its a society problem and the way that democracy seems to work, and its come into the schools.

new topics

top topics

join