It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goole Maps Anomaly – Star Burst – What is This???

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neon Haze
As this occurs over Purmerend Holland... quite close to Amsterdam...

Perhaps there is someone here who lives close that could maybe verify what is at that location???

All the best,

NeoN HaZe.

I live in (the middle of) Holland, in the city called Utrecht. I have seen this "picture" before, but I don't know what it is...
The "star" seems to be in a regular neighbourhood, nothing abnormal at the location to me...

Can't help you guys out, I think.

Greets,

Dr.ok

[edit on 17-4-2007 by Dr.ok]

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr.ok
I live in (the middle of) Holland, in the city called Utrecht. I have seen this "picture" before, but I don't know what it is...
The "star" seems to be in a regular neighbourhood, nothing abnormal at the location to me...
Can't help you guys out, I think.

Welcome Dr.ok

I'm very honoured that your first post should be on one of my threads!!

You have helped already by confirming that there is nothing abnormal about that street per say.

For this effect to be a chance lens flare it would have had to have been an exceptionally well timed reflection, not to mention accurate to reflect light back into the very small aperture of an aerial cam...

The chances of that happening must be enormously biased against.

All the best,

NeoN HaZe.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Whatever it is, it certainly does have a prism effect and not simply lens flare. You can see the reds greens and blues seperated in the 'burst'. What could cause such a prism effect like this?

[edit on 4/17/2007 by damajikninja]

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Hehe, I've been wandering around for quite a while here on ATS, but now it was time to register

I had a discussion with a friend of mine about this star. He told me there should be another one in the Netherlands on Google Earth, just like this one.

I'll be searching for it!

Dr.ok

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 10:57 AM
link   
And I found another one...

I couldn't find out how to upload a picture, so maybe someone could do that for me...

Look at this location in Googe Earth:
52 13'49.90"N, 5 10'09.22"E

When I was looking at the star... I mentioned something weird;

If you look just at the left of the star, you see a building in a "M"-shape. And just at the left of that building you can see some coloured dots in a triangular shape. :| Interesting... Anyone knows what it could be?!

Maybe some easter eggs Google put in Google Earth, or is it something else?

Dr.ok

Look here:

www.flashearth.com...

At the right te star, at the left the weird dots...

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 11:06 AM
link   
for people saying it might be a pool
Who would have a pool in the middle of Holland where its not usually warm enough to have and enjoy one

[edit on 17-4-2007 by Disgustipated]

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Disgustipated
for people saying it might be a pool
Who would have a pool in the middle of Holland where its not usually warm enough to have and enjoy one

[edit on 17-4-2007 by Disgustipated]

So true... not many people have a pool in their garden. For most of the Dutch ppl, a pool is way too expenvise!

Ontopic:

There are als dots at the first star we discussed!

www.flashearth.com...

At the right of the star... same colours, different formation.

What the hell is it?

Dr.ok

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Great finds Dr.ok. 2 places and both having another formation of the colours nearby? Hmmm too big a coincendence for it to be due to something at the location in my opinion expecially the fact that both of them have these extra dots nearby!

[edit on 17/4/2007 by Snake64_009]

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
proof positive for me that this is some type of lens artifact or something similar, being there are two of them right next to each other, and WHOA they just 'happen' to be primary colors only.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Yeah the presence of the RGB colors really support the case for some sort of refraction in either the lens or some object on/above the ground. The dots look as though they could be part of the refraction... hard to say though.

I'd love to have an imaging expert comment on these finds, since I'm not sure any of us are pros on the topic.

Lets spend some time researching the area these anomalies occur in. Whose houses are these things appearing over? Whats down there on the ground? Let's figure that out and decide if the anomalies have anything thing to do with whats down on the ground.

EDIT: Although the case can easily be made for simple prismatic refraction of some kind by an object on the ground, I would think that the resulting anomaly would look different. I mean, what are the odds that the camera/lens, sun angle, shooting angle, and refractive properties of the object on the ground are all the same? I would certainly expect to see a different refraction signature on the two objects if they are created by something on the ground.

So maybe something is occurring up on the camera? We are assuming the camera is on an aircraft at low altitude. If the anomaly is occurring at the camera, I would still expect the anomaly to appear different - regardless of ground objects.

Either way, the existence of the anomalies and the the strong similarity between them suggest that we should be able to find many more. Thats assuming that the anomalies are generated by simple camera/lens issues.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by damajikninja

EDIT: Although the case can easily be made for simple prismatic refraction of some kind by an object on the ground, I would think that the resulting anomaly would look different. I mean, what are the odds that the camera/lens, sun angle, shooting angle, and refractive properties of the object on the ground are all the same? I would certainly expect to see a different refraction signature on the two objects if they are created by something on the ground.

no, i would not. the fact is, you DON'T see these type of artifacts for the simple fact that so many things have to align for them to occur in the first place. that's like saying "well simply it must have been the jews who sunk the titanic, because obviously all those things could not have happened at once to lead to her sinking." they are photographing most of the EARTH here. eventually you are GOING to find something sitting on the ground that will reflect the sun back in your face. eventually you are GOING to find a problem with your multi-thousand dollar camera setup, which is bouncing around in an airplane.

edit: essentially if this is the best thing we have to do with our time, search google maps for lens flares, i'm going outside

[edit on 4-17-2007 by forsakenwayfarer]

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   

One thing is for sure, they are nearly identical. Starting to look more and more like simple lens flare or refraction from a ground object.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
The first thing I thought was, "Looks like a reflection flare." Of course, as Disgustipated says, here in the Frozen North we'd brain ourselves on the ice floes if we dived into an open air pool (and we've never even heard of pool heating), but... glass house? Need lots of those to compensate for the Arctic conditions...

If only we could think of something that might be widely cultivated in and around Amsterdam, especially now it's spring again...

Yes, that would be me being mischievous. I know, I'm grounded for a week.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neon Haze

I agree, though... looks like a bright reflection off some mirror-like surface. A burst of anything local wouldn't show up on a satellite picture.

If that were true then why don't we see lots of images like this???

If something has a simple and common answer it should be able to be reproduced in a simple and common manor...

I haven't seen any images on Google earth that resemble this at all.

ok - how many rainbows can you find on google earth / google maps images ?

it is not a trick question

PS - i am not expecting you to go and tabuilate the incidences of rainbows in GE imagery

rather just think about the question

For this effect to be a chance lens flare it would have had to have been an exceptionally well timed reflection, not to mention accurate to reflect light back into the very small aperture of an aerial cam...

The chances of that happening must be enormously biased against.

you are thinking backwards - there are literally millions of GE images - updated on a rolling survey - but only a handfull show anything with a " wow " factor as this one has

these " wow " pics - are posted on forums - like this one , for analysis / comment

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Hey guys,

I found some more of these flares with google earth within 5 minutes. I'll add the coordinates.

Here is one in Roosendaal:
51°31'0.16"N 4°26'17.31"E

And here is one in Maastrischt (where I live very close to):
50°51'5.60"N 5°42'1.46"E

The one in Maastricht is just a house, nothing special about it, so my guess is, these are flares caused by roof windows that are tilted open. Judging by the hard light and shadows, these pictures are taken on a very bright and sunny day.

Another funny effect in Maastricht can be seen on these coordinates:
50°51'1.21"N 5°41'22.34"E

I don't know what this is, they look like streaks of light, but I think they are worth mentioning in this thread, because they allso may have something to do with the hard sunlight on a bright day.

Kind regards,

Kris

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Looking at these 'star' photos are pretty interesting but cant help feel they would/are easily explained as most any reflective surface could create this given the right circumstances. Taking in to account the location of both I have seen in this thread, just a few possibilities could be solar panles, sky lights(roof windows) mirrors, any shiney metalic surface really.

Nothing screams abnormal save the rarity of the occurance..

[edit on 17-4-2007 by HomeBrew]

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Pretty LENS FLARE.

The lens flare can be caused by any number of objects...A swimming pool, a bottle on the ground, an airplane in flight, any smooth reflective surface.

The effects often are much larger than one would think possible.

Here are some others.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by damajikninja

One thing is for sure, they are nearly identical. Starting to look more and more like simple lens flare or refraction from a ground object.

Hey damajikninja, how did you get the different feeds for google earth images?

I often like to compare sources of a GE location to see the differences and gain other perspectives to research a place...thanks!

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   
...its a conspiracy of people that are pointing green laser pointers at planes.
or rich ones with guided pods to do it.

some have satelite trackers hooked up with there direct tv so they know where satellites are

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by greatlakes
Hey damajikninja, how did you get the different feeds for google earth images?

I often like to compare sources of a GE location to see the differences and gain other perspectives to research a place...thanks!
\
I just went to the map in FireFox and panned/zoomed on Site 1 till I could see both the star and dots. I then hit CTRL+ALT+PrintScreen to save a snapshot of the screen to the clipboard. I then opened MS Paint and hit CTRL+V to paste the snapshot in there. From then on its just image editing, cropping, etc.

I repeated the entire process for Site 2, added some text to the image, and posted it on da ATS.

MORAL OF THE STORY:

CTRL+ALT+PrintScreen Captures a screenshot of the active window only.

CTRL+PrintScreen Captures the entire screen.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: Applies to Windows machines! Not so sure about MAC, although I'm sure they have some similar function built into OS-X.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join