It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are pringles drugged? Food for thought...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Sorry if this has already been posted, didnt look at whole thread.

Pringles, along with many other similar fast food type snacks, are indeed addictive, with additives to supplement this. I dont know about 'drugs' but certainly, and specifically with Pringles, a particular type of salt is used in combination with a very potent lipid (fat) and this has been proven to trigger cravings after consumption. Indeed, its done on purpose, with the goal being to get people hooked, thus buying more.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Yeah I think that's probably the most likely case, the combination of ingredients sets off cravings in your brain. I'm not addicted to Pringles though, I have about 5 then I stop.

Now Jaffa Cakes.... well i'm sure we all know how addictive they are right?

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 05:38 AM
link   
"This Product Contains Olestra. Olestra may cause abdominal cramping and loose stools. Olestra inhibits the absorption of some vitamins and other nutrients. Vitamins A, D, E, and K have been added.[1]

This condition became popularly known as "anal leakage," though this term never actually appeared on the label."
Source

oh....my.....GOD.
I am never eating pringles again. If this doesn't cure your addiction nothing will.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 07:17 AM
link   
The majority of the food we eat is full of dangerous chemicals that are designed to make us eat more of it. Here's a wake-up call.

Consuming doritos and diet pepsi creates a synergy that causes neurological damage.

Fitzgerald: We looked at some of the studies done in the later part of 2005, examining the synergistic reactions between aspartame -- the synthetic sweetener that is found in thousands of products now -- and MSG, along with two common food colorings. This was a study done in England at a university in the later part of 2005. The result was found that when MSG, aspartame and these two food colorings were mixed together, they create a synergy that kills nerve cells. It causes neurological damage. We are only now at the threshold of medical science beginning to do any systematic examination of synergies.

Mike: Just to put in a real-world example of that, I would like to add that you can get that combination by drinking a Diet Pepsi and eating a bag of Doritos.

Fitzgerald: Absolutely. It is a children's meal. In fact, these researchers, at the University of Liverpool, wanted to examine what children commonly consume every day. That is why they picked aspartame, MSG and these two food colors, because they are so commonly found in all of the junk drinks and foods that children consume. The results should alarm us all.

Interview with Randall Fitzgerald, author of The Hundred-Year Lie, on the prevalence of toxic chemicals

The toxic additives and ingredients found in our foods are directly causing chronic diseases like cancer, diabetes and heart disease. They're even causing mental disorders (ADHD, depression) while creating unstable mental conditions that lead to violent, aggressive behavior, especially in young males.

Which ingredients am I talking about? Sodium nitrite (cancer), refined white flour (diabetes), hydrogenated oils (heart disease), aspartame (nervous system disorders), red meat (colon cancer), excess sodium (hypertension), and the list goes on.

Disease-promoting ingredients in everyday foods and groceries are far more dangerous than terrorists

MSG is now hidden in foods as "yeast extract" so people don't know they are actually consuming MSG.

The taste enhancer is MSG -- monosodium glutamate -- a chemical that has been associated with reproductive disorders, migraine headaches, permanent damage to the endocrine system leading to obesity and other serious disorders. MSG is a chemical compound that simply does not belong in the body in the concentrations provided by these foods. It is used by food manufacturers as a taste enhancer -- something to cover up the bland tastes of these foods and make them more appealing to consumers. But food manufacturers don't want to list MSG on the labels, especially when they know that consumers will avoid purchasing products that list MSG.

So what do they do instead? They hide the ingredient in another ingredient called "yeast extract", then they put yeast extract in the product and list "yeast extract" right on the label. So this is the scam: all sorts of natural health products and vegetarian products are using chemical taste enhancers in the form of yeast extract but failing to disclose to consumers that they actually contain MSG. And if you look around at the natural health products in health food stores and grocery stores, you'll find that yeast extract is a rather prominent ingredient. It's used in soups, in vegetarian mixes, in some tofu mixes, and even so-called natural frozen foods.

Many "healthy" and vegetarian foods contain MSG in the form of yeast extract

New Doritos contains yeast extract.

Frito-Lay has launched a new "Natural Doritos" product that doesn't have the usual monosodium glutamate (an excitotoxin) and artificial colors found in its flagship product, but it does contain another offensive ingredient: yeast extract. It's listed right on the package of the new Natural Doritos products.

Unsafe snacks? New "Natural" Doritos contains yeast extract

Basically what the FDA is doing is overexciting the nerves, which causes nerve damage. They want us to become so accustomed to the flavor of these foods so that natural healthy foods have no more appeal to us.

MSG is an excitotoxin -- an ingredient known to cause nerve damage by overexciting nerves. This is exactly how MSG enhances the taste of foods: by overexciting the taste buds on your tongue.

Food manufacturers hide dangerous ingredients in everyday foods by using confusing terms on the label

It's just as bad when you move past the snack foods and start looking at the chemicals that are in packaged meats. Sodium nitrate is added to meats to make them red so they look nice even though it is extremely carcinogenic:

Sodium nitrite is added to most packaged meat products found in a grocery store, and even in health food stores. To most people, sodium nitrite simply sounds like a form of salt, but, in fact, this ingredient is extremely carcinogenic. When combined with your saliva and digestive enzymes, sodium nitrite creates cancer-causing compounds known as nitrosamines. These nitrosamines are so toxic to biological systems that they are actually used to give lab rats cancer in laboratory tests. In humans, the consumption of sodium nitrite has been strongly correlated with brain tumors, leukemia, and cancers of the digestive tract.

Food manufacturers hide dangerous ingredients in everyday foods by using confusing terms on the label

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Leakage?

Not just for the older crowd, for Pringles lovers too!!

Can of Pringles in one hand, Almond Snickers in the other. Pure heaven.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
This shows how much these companies care. Back in the 60's MSG was a common ingredient in baby foods. After it was manditory to label MSG they moved to other words for the same thing, such as yeast extract. Children are move vulnerable to MSG than adults but do they care? Similar to how almost all soy formulas for babies are from genetically modified plants. Another thing we are needlessly exposing our children to. We don't know all the effects of genetically modified foods and we are subjecting children to it. Who knows, maybe there are "sugar free" baby formula now with aspartame it in

[edit on 17-4-2007 by ghaleon12]

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I remember hearing about 10 years ago that Lays Original Chips had some sort of addictive quality. This was back in "betcha can't eat just one" days. Then again it coulc have just been an Urban Myth. I had not heard of pringles but it wouldn't surprise me.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I just bought a can of Pringles and I cannot find Glaxo-Smithklines
anywhere on the can.
Where is it supposed to be?

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Not sure if anyone has ever noticed but smell can lpay a big part in it next time you walk past a mc donalds burger king or subway look on the out side of the shop front or else place for a vent. They pump out the cooking smell from the food to entice people to come in and eat. The same could be said for a can of pringles as your locking in the freshness of the food? I think.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   
stop getting stoned before you eat pringles... that would help a lot.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Sorry folks i have realised that i was wrong in saying glaxo-smithkline is on the tube. It is infact Procter & Gamble but they are also a large pharmaceutical company so the point of the thread still stands. If you google Pringles and Glaxo however there are links.

After reading all the responses i am disgusted that these companies are allowed to use such chemicals in our food. I've gone off Pringles now, i dont fancy crapping out axle grease!

As for the fact that 'to much red meat can cause cancer', is this because of the colouring agent used and not the actual meat?

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
This is a true story:

A few years ago in Bejing the police noticed that this one restaurant always had a line out the door. This was unusual because the place in question had a reputation as having mediocre food. So the police raided it and discovered that the cooks were cooking opium pods into the food.

Now that is drugging your customer

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
As for the fact that 'to much red meat can cause cancer', is this because of the colouring agent used and not the actual meat?

This article by Mike Adams discusses several reasons why processed meats are dangerous but here is the summary paragraph:

There are other problems with processed meats, nutritionally speaking. Meat has zero fiber, for one thing. But in terms of the major causative factors of disease in the human body, I believe the two primary culprits are the heavy metals and toxins concentrated in the fat tissues of cows, combined with the sodium nitrite additives used by meat processing companies to preserve their products and give them enhanced visual appeal.

Source: The real reason why processed meats are so dangerous to your health

Here is another interesting article about the dangers of red meat:
Red meat consumption doubles risk of colon cancer, says study; is it time to go vegetarian yet?

This article give alternative protein sources and states that spirulina has twelve times more digestible protein than beef.
High protein diet good for your health, good for weight loss, says startling new research

Here is a link to all of Mike's articles about red meat:
NewsTarget - Red Meat articles

Hope this helps!

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
Once you pop, you can't stop..

hmmm, instead of chemically altered chips, could it be just effective marketing?

I personally don't like pringles too much and don't find them to be at all addictive. I much rather eat a greasy bag of Lays or Wise potato chips.

Feel the same way. Pringles look too manufactured :S all the same size, perfectly oval and so on.

But who's to say if they put something in it. Couldn't you take it to an analyst and find out?
It could be that they add something that has the same effect as chocolate/cocoa in raw form. High quality chocolate can actually make you a little high as one of the components in it releases the brains endorfins. Only thing is that it is natural in chocolate.

I love chocolate

It might be a bit questionable using this in other foods/snacks. Effective... but questionable :S

If you are affraid they are doing something to the pringles then switch to "Kim's" (don't know what they are called abroad)
they are nice and random, baked the old fashioned way.

Cheers

[edit on 18/4/07 by flice]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join