It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are pringles drugged? Food for thought...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I was just reading the thread about the girl addicted to lipbalm who went cold turkey. I have wondered this before but could food manufacturers be putting some kind of drug in foods to make people keep buying them?

One that stands out is Pringles.. they really are addictive and the Glaxo-Smithkline logo/name appears on the tube. They are a massive pharmaceutical company. Why are they linked to Pringles? Just a distributor or is there more to it?

Just a bit of further info regarding Pringles..Hack with a Pringles Tin!

Any thoughts on this?

[edit on 16-4-2007 by fiftyfifty]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
In my opinion they're the hardest chip to stop eating. Before I started dieting I would dust off a can at one sitting, especially the cheese ones.

Could be some kind of drug involved.

Peace

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
exactly, there is no other food that i've eaten in my life that has the same effect as pringles.

*just noticed how badly this thread is titled.. i thinki'll rename it

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
hmm... I think I'll go buy a can of pringles right now to experiment. Haven't had one in a while but I do have an urge to eat some now that you guys mention them.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   
i pretty sure that the contents/ingredients list on the side of the product
is required to list all the stuff added to make the product...

would a pharmaceutical owner of a snack food company,
lace their product with a ObsessiveCompulsiveDisorder chemical trigger?
could a MSG gene be invented, patented, and added as natural 'spices',

i'm scratching my head on the problem you've set before us.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
i pretty sure that the contents/ingredients list on the side of the product
is required to list all the stuff added to make the product...

would a pharmaceutical owner of a snack food company,
lace their product with a ObsessiveCompulsiveDisorder chemical trigger?
could a MSG gene be invented, patented, and added as natural 'spices',

i'm scratching my head on the problem you've set before us.

Thats my way of thinking.. they could easily incorporate a drug into one of the flavourings to legally get it through, no questions asked.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Once you pop, you can't stop..

hmmm, instead of chemically altered chips, could it be just effective marketing?

I personally don't like pringles too much and don't find them to be at all addictive. I much rather eat a greasy bag of Lays or Wise potato chips.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Drugged? I don't think so.

I think it's another excuse that people with no self control make for their eating habits. McDonalds doesn't force you to eat there everyday, and foods aren't drugged to make you eat them.

People should take responsibility for their lack of self control when it comes to the amount and things they eat.

[edit on 16/4/2007 by enjoies05]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I too am not addicted to pringles, I really can't sit and eat a whole can of it, mostly because it's a little too much flavor and not enough fill.

I think it's because the chip itself isn't very harsh, while most chips are hard and difficult to swallow, pringles are very soft and easy to mush.

IMO.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05

I think it's another excuse that people with no self control make for their eating habits. McDonalds doesn't force you to eat there everyday, and foods aren't drugged to make you eat them.

People should take responsibility for their lack of self control when it comes to the amount and things they eat.

[edit on 16/4/2007 by enjoies05]

Ahem.. ok thats a bit unfair. I dont spend every day in Macdonalds, infact it doesnt do anything for me, nor am i overweight. Just the fact that alot of people feel thhat Pringles are really addictive. I personally tink its more than good marketing. What is Glaxo-Smithklines involvement in aid of?

EDIT: Pringles not 'prongles'

[edit on 16-4-2007 by fiftyfifty]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   
It's not an unheard of occurence.

Coca-Cola used to put coc aine in Coke.

Peace

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
Just the fact that alot of people feel thhat Pringles are really addictive. I personally tink its more than good marketing.

Ok...

What I'm saying is there is a better chance the people just need some self control than the food they eat is drugged.

I had Pringles before, but am not addicted. Immune to the drugs or self control?

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
not sure of the exact relations between Glaxo and Procter and Gamble, but P&G also has a pharmaceutical division, so if they really wanted to drug foods, they wouldn't need Glaxo Smith Kline to do it, they could effectively do it on their own I would think

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised. Like Dr. Love said. The original formula for coca cola was derived form a coc aine elixir. The coc aine was even in all kinds of medicines. It was a wonder tonic that will cure anything. Funny how everyone , of all ages used it. Honestly, makes me think about the origins of the current drug epidemic. As for Pringles, maybe there is a "secret ingredient" in it that is "safe". It really wouldn't be the first time big pharma claimed one thing, then found out later another.

edit= i really do think it has to do more with psychology than anything else

[edit on 16-4-2007 by souls]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Hello, my name is MrPenny and I'm a pringleholic.

As soon as I wipe the drool from my chin, I'm gettin' me a big ol' can of Pringles and gorging myself.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I've heard from several people that they find pringles unusually addicting. I can get through 8 of them, but they're not my favorite chips.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Not related in any wy to the drug option, but as for the "hack" using a pringles tin, I used to do this all the time. It makes a separate secure network from a floating unsecured network

Simply take a small WAP configured in client mode, and drill a hole in the bottom to stick the antenna through. Point the tin and antenna in the general direction of the unsecured network. Then, take a second secured WAP and plug the first WAP ito it. Be sure it's in access point mode and not router mode, otherwise you're in danger of double nat-ing, and won't get much.

Once they're connected, you an log onto your access point using the other, unsecured WAP as the WAN.

Theoretically, you could do this over the range of a few blocks, if you have enough WAPs and pringles cans.

I'll tell you this, I ate a crapload of pringles on the go getting these things running.

(note: the pringles can is used only as a signal amp. It's not absolutely necessary, but useful.)

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05

I completely agree. I am a pringleholic. If no one stops me I could eat them and eat them and eat them. It isn't to do with whether or not they are drugged, its because of a lack of self control. For some reason *some* people find Pringles amazingly tasty, crunchy etc etc. Those are the people who find them addictive (obviously).

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
Ahem.. ok thats a bit unfair. I dont spend every day in Macdonalds, infact it doesnt do anything for me, nor am i overweight. Just the fact that alot of people feel thhat Pringles are really addictive. I personally tink its more than good marketing. What is Glaxo-Smithklines involvement in aid of?

He wasn't accusing anyone of being one of those people that sit in McDonalds. He was saying that people who are addicted to McDonalds often say things like "They must put something in this to make it so darned good!" As with Pringles, it isn't the ingredients, it's a lack of control on the consumer's part.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I too am addicted to pringles.I totally blame that on watching survivor.I had a sick fetish about watching people on the island starving while i stuff my face and Jeff Probst waves pringles cans in front of them.I know, totally wrong.I never noticed the drug company logo on any tin I bought but I'm gonna look.Could be different packaging here in Canada.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Actually studies have proven that the mixture of fats and sugar endemic to the junk food diet are addictive; that food is essentially chemical once it reaches the brain and that certain combinations of foods create an addictive response. In fact valium is, on a metabolic basis, alcohol once it reaches the brain.

Kentucky Fried Chicken will be craved fortnightly. And chased down with supersized portions of sugary coke. Some studies have suggested that the addictive cycle resulting from junk food is more addicting than heroin. Given that one can't stop eating altogether - also a difficult cycle to beat psychologically.

It stands to reason that eating too much is not pleasant but a self destructive behavior, that's promoted by dysfunctional brain chemistry, and ruthless purveyors of over-processed, corporately farmed and marketed foods. The independent farmers can no longer expect a livelihood from their trade.

It helps that Pringles are in a red package, the color most easily focused on by the eye in a parade of colors. People wouldn't be fat if it was all broccoli and carrots.

Living in sugarville with Dr Love, is a hopeless form of slavery from which the enthralled will defend their subjugation.

Keeping in mind that coffee is the largest legal cash crop - it too is also addictive, with physical withdrawal symptoms. It, like sugar, is mostly harvested by virtual slaves and probably single-handedly contributes to the epidemic of insomnia in the Western world.

But it's much more cost effective to sell you a drug to put you to sleep, than to promote a boycott on coffee.

So the real slaves are.....

[edit on 16-4-2007 by clearwater]

<<   2  3 >>

join