It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man arrested for recording on-duty cop

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 12:20 AM
link   
"An 18-year-old Lawrence man is charged with unlawful wire tapping for using his cellular phone to record a conversation he had with a police officer, police said. Police said Officer Daniel Lannon was questioning a group of shoppers while responding to a false 911 call made from a payphone outside the Market Basket at 350 Turnpike St. about 6 p.m. Tuesday. Lannon reported that Luis D. Dominguez, 47 Chelmsford St., repeatedly interrupted the conversation. Lannon told Dominguez that police did not need to talk to him. Dominguez then accused Lannon of being a racist and became combative, police said. As a 'loud verbal discussion' began between Dominguez and Lannon, the Lawrence teen used a feature on his cellular phone to record what was happening, said Detective Lt. Paul J. Gallagher. Lannon told Dominguez that recording the conversation was illegal, and asked him to stop. When the teen refused Lannon arrested him... Essex County District Attorney Mary Alice Doyle said unlawful wire tapping carries a maximum fine of $10,000 and five years in jail."

Unbelievable. Should the LAPD have arrested the videographer of the Rodney King beating? If anything, it should be illegal to prevent a citizen from recording a uniformed police officer in a public space.

www.eagletribune.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 12:21 AM
link   
wait is this actually illegal or is the cop full of #?

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Wiretapping is overhearing or recording a conversation over telephone or telegraph that is not intended for that person...this is not wiretapping at all.

It could be "mechanical overhearing of a conversation" meaning recording a conversation without consent of the other person, but it is much less serious I believe.

If the guy gets a decent lawyer the chargers will most likely be dropped.

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Wiretapping can only be done by law enforcement. right? So how could a common citizen be accused of "illegal" wiretapping? Did he forget to get a warrant from a judge? hehe

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 08:06 AM
link   
whenever you talk to a public official, why the hell cant you record what they say?

Especially when your talking to a cop, i got a camera, and a recorder in my coat pocket ready if i ever get pulled over, or questioned.

It's for my own self-defense, then if i have to go to court, i HAVE the truth, that way the cop can't lie his a$s off!

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 08:51 AM
link   
The cop knew he was being recorded. I do not believe any laws were broken. Yes the cop asked the guy to stop. But if you call a tech support company, and they say your call may be monitored, you have 2 choices. Hang up. Continue the call and possibly get recorded.

The cop had two choices. Accept the recording. Leave.

I say they sue the cop for unlawful arrest.

top topics

join