It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters Beaten, Detained in Moscow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Protesters Beaten, Detained in Moscow

abcnews.go.com

Riot police beat and detained protesters as thousands defied an official ban and attempted to stage a rally Saturday against President Vladimir Putin's government, which opponents accuse of rolling back freedoms Russians have enjoyed since the end of Soviet communism.

A similar march planned for Sunday in St. Petersburg has also been banned by authorities.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Putin's really doing his best to quash or control democratic development in Russia it seems. Mr Ex? KGB cracks down again.
Jail, Beatings and mystery deaths and disappearances seem all to apparent over there. Hell, people disagreeing with where they feel Putin's taking the country don't even have to reside there to become sick and die mysteriously.

Dallas

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Agreed.

It looks like ol' Putin is giving everyone in Moscow a little refresher of what he envisions Russia being.

The report also said that another "Dissenters March" was slated to take place on Sunday in St. Petersburg. It has been banned by the Russian govt. I honestly hope people don't get seriously hurt or even killed. We'll just have to wait and see how this unfolds?

Any ATSer's over there in Russia? Maybe they could give us a little more info on what's going on.

-Droops

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrOOpieS

Any ATSer's over there in Russia? Maybe they could give us a little more info on what's going on.

There's a related thread here.

'I am plotting a new Russian revolution'

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 08:16 AM
link   
SUNDAY:
"Club-swinging riot police clashed Sunday with opposition supporters as an anti-Kremlin protest dispersed in Russia's second-largest city, chasing small groups of demonstrators, beating some on the ground and hauling them into police buses.

It was not immediately clear what sparked the violence after the rally, which city authorities had authorized and took place under a heavy police presence with at least one helicopter hovering above..."

Source:
www.forbes.com...

edit:

Additional Russian News Link:

Russian protesters block main road in Putin hometown
Sun Mar 4, 2007 12:55AM EST

ST. PETERSBURG, "Russia (Reuters) - At least 2,000 Russian protesters broke through police lines and blocked St Petersburg's main thoroughfare on Saturday, in an unusually bold show of opposition to the Kremlin.

The demonstrators, shouting "Freedom!" and brandishing orange flares, dispersed after about one hour but earlier police in riot gear and wielding truncheons tussled with protesters. Police said they had detained about 100 people..."

Link:
www.reuters.com...

[edit on 15-4-2007 by Dallas]

edit:

Toronto Star:
Anti-Kremlin protesters clash with police

"Apr 15, 2007 08:46 AM

ST. PETERSBURG, Russia (AP) – Riot police clashed with opposition supporters at the end of an anti-Kremlin protest in Russia's second-largest city Sunday, beating some and hauling them into police buses..."

link: www.thestar.com...

[edit on 15-4-2007 by Dallas]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 03:59 AM
link   
This is starting to rather get to rather get to me....

Guys come on, first of all; read the article posted at the top carefuly. 'Thousands' is not the majority of Russia, and I'll bet you those numbers didn't even reach 10k+. Second so many people people think that Russia is so discontent with Puttin (and it is rather funny watching you say that since you never lived in Russia) when he's more favored by his country then pretty much any other world leader.

As I explained in the link Hellmutt provided, all it takes is for one english speaking Russian, weather immigrant or a politician back home, to uter the words "democracy is at stake in Russia" and the wester media is all over it. Then the following logic appears - hey, this guy is from this country so it must be the general opinion there. Another ironic thing you will find is that EVERY SINGLE ONE of Putins opponents, whenever in a corner or can't have his way, goes screaming to the western media (often even in english, that's when it's even funnier) about democracy and freedom of speech and such vanishing in Russia. Funny coincidence isn't it.

"...against President Vladimir Putin's government, which opponents accuse of rolling back freedoms Russians have enjoyed since the end of Soviet communism."

And last but not least, lets see what's wrong with this article here:

- Opponents accuse him of rolling back freedoms yet again

- accusing him of rolling back freedoms Russians have enjoyed since the end of Soviet Communism. We've enjoyed freedom here? What? Where have I been? Darn, party must have started without me
. Matter of fact ATS, is that we are just starting to enjoy it. According to this article (typical western media comments) we have enjoyed freedom and a lawful goverment under Gorbachev and Yeltsin?!?!
Where have I been really? The fact of the matter is that we are just starting to enjoy some kind of freedom here. We're just starting to get a proper tasting of it. This has been only improving here and thanks to who - Putin.

- Here's the best one in my opinion; "opponents accuse of rolling back freedoms Russians have enjoyed since the end of Soviet communism." This was published in an article which talks about the Russian OMON beating protesters to break up the protesting crowd. If I remember correctly - those who oppose the Russian goverment the most atm are commies. So by protecting this freedom of ours we're diong the wrong thing or would the west like to see the return of the USSR and the cold war with it....

Prove me wrong. These accusations are complete bogus.

Regards,
Maestro

new topics

top topics

join