It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Myopia NOT Inherited ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I was looking up for some information about myopia and came across this site. According it myopia is not inherited but caused by too much close work such as reading! Also it shows how our government is preventing the people from finding out about this!

www.myopia.org...

An article about eye-care professionals advise for treating myopia
Myopia-prevention group seeks FDA warning

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I don't think I believe that one.

If that was true, then siblings who are raised in the same household with the same reading habits will all have myopia. This doesn't explain cases like my household, where our son has amazingly good vision and our daughter has poor vision.

Nor does it explain my husband, who didn't need glasses until he was in his 30's (yet he read constantly). I read constantly, too, but I come from a family where myopia is very common and I can't see for nothin!

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
the subject is prone to cause a lot of disagreement, because if it's not inherited, anyone with less than 20/20 vision will conclude that it's his or her own fault, basically.

anyways, for what it's worth, the approach of Eyerobics is nothing new and while i can't vouch for the effectiveness (of my link's contents) what they are doing proposing about right. judging from personal experience, consciously using your eyes (on far away objects especially, whenever you get the chance) will improve your vision but in painfully slow manner.

that said, who knows if a tendency towards myopia is inherited, training your eyes might work for some people but that doesn't mean their condition wasn't genetic.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Myopia does have quite a prominent genetic link. The shape of your eye is what causes this condition, and even though being a book worm will make it worse, you can't alter the shape to much from baseline. You can especially see that this is genetic when 5 year old children have it and have to have coke bottle thick glasses. The only thing you can really do is wear the glasses or get laser eye surgery, which doesn't correct the problem but compensates by reducing the shape of the lens in the eye.

new topics

top topics

join