It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kasparov freed after anti-Putin rally

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Kasparov freed after anti-Putin rally

news.yahoo.com

MOSCOW - Hundreds of demonstrators defied authorities Saturday by trying to stage an anti-government rally banned from a landmark downtown square, setting off sporadic clashes with police across Moscow and bringing a wave of arrests.

A coalition of opposition groups organized the "Dissenters March" to protest the economic and social policies of President Vladimir Putin as well as a series of Kremlin actions that critics say has stripped Russians of many political rights.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Kasparov Arrested In Moscow

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   
The backlash against Putin seems to be growing. Kasparov's supporters claim about 2000 showed up to protest. The police and security responce was estimated at 1000. This is not quite the return of the bad old days of the USSR where he would have simply died of a unspecified illness (or commit suicide by shooting himself in the head 3-4 times). Putin may have become too enamored with running the country KGB style.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
2000 showing up? That's 2Kbrave showing up... there must be many, many more... waiting. That takes some intestinal fortitude showin' up and opening yourself to state sanctions.

It does seem that polar opposite forces are entrenching... the next year or so will tell the tale I suppose. I like GK... seems a fuse has been lit.

Vic

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by V Kaminski
2000 showing up? That's 2Kbrave showing up... there must be many, many more... waiting. That takes some intestinal fortitude showin' up and opening yourself to state sanctions.

I agree its not like protesting here in the US. Those guys had some serious cojones esp. given the fact that they were met with a huge police responce.

If there is an huge undercurrect of opposition to Putin, you kind of wonder how quickly it will take to ignite? Historicaly Russian people have not drawn things out and take action pretty quick.

[edit on 4/14/07 by FredT]

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I agree totally... It seemed when the cheers were, "Yeltsin! Yeltsin!", things did "break" quickly. I'm not sure there was ever a "slow" coup there. Interesting. But Putin has NKVD spec blood and the time to "master" and "marshal". Yes, tick, tick, tick.

Kasparov plays "chess" - Putin plays "God". The temptation for Putin must be enormous; bad times a' comin'...

Vic

ExD

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Kasparov has next to nothing political weight. Not this time guys, don't even think about revolution, but it seems we have interesting times because of the coming elections.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   

I agree its not like protesting here in the US.

Well, going to an unsanctioned protest in Russia can get you roughed up by cops, arrested, and end up with your name put on some shadowy government watch list.

Wheras going to an unsanctioned protest in the US can get you roughed up by cops, arrested, and end up with your name put on some shadowy government watch list.

Err what was I saying again?

top topics

join