It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What new Advanced platforms is the US Navy going to produce?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Ive always been a huge buff from a young age of great Naval ships and in particular WWI and WWII mostly. Now I was wondering when the US NAVY as well as other large arms might start incorporating newer designs
of a more modern/future thought. I understand that the electronics in these and systems are first rate and more so every day but these designs are just rehashes of early 1900's thinking.
I found the SeaShadow and on a grander scale as well as carrier subs to be the most foresighted ideas so far.
Im no pro just a Naval ship buff but the Navy is far behind the Air Force with advanced platforms IMO. Heres a good link to some interesting Naval programs but nothing really too advanced.
Am I missing something?
So what insight can you add or link or addition to this discussion.

www.naval-technology.com...

[edit on 14-4-2007 by VType]

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
The Navy has several inititives going for the future of the navy. however, the navy has been its own worse enemy. It failed to buy into Stealth not once, but twice. Then when it went off on its own with the Avenger II it was a total disaster.

The navy is working on:

The next generation aircraft carrier the CVN-21

A whole new family of surface ships (destroyers, cruisers and frigates) known as the SC-21 - 21st Century Surface Combatant

The DDG-1000 Zumwalt / DD(X)

The are also looking at a new class of submarines beyond the Virgina class and other surface vessels.

A great primer on future navy plans can be found here;
www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
If you read carefully between the lines they are telling you here...

that electric motor technology has taken huge leaps in the last ten or more years to where this is viable for nuclear submarine use in ways not before possible.

Electric motor use means quiet. Not that current submarine propulsion is not quiet. I merely point out here that time is not standing still in design and thinking.

lots of thinking and planning going on here.

Just like NASCAR or Formula 1 Racing ...they are constantly thinking and experimenting with that which would give them the "racers edge."

My thanks to Fred T for that site.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 14-4-2007 by orangetom1999]

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
The navy is also developing a machine gun that fires supercavitating bullets.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I came across this Navy vision. The Arsenal its called. Looks similar to our FFG's but with the absence of substantial structures. Cancelled in 97 though.
www.fas.org...

[edit on 15-4-2007 by VType]

top topics

join