It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AH-1Z "Super Cobra" or "Viper"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 10:15 AM
link   
In the debate over the which attack helicopter is the best in the world, I noticed that one of the most versatile helicopters in the world is left out, probably due to its age, though it doesn't show it on the battlefield even today and will continue to prove effective in the future. That thread is here......

Best Attack Helicopter

But I contend the AH-1Z's(the most modern variant), which began delivery to the USMC in 2005-2006(There seem to be a conflict of dates on this from different sites), and be completed by 2011, rank up at the top of this list, due to the array of weapons they carry, and the versatility and upgrades in survivability they have now with the "zulu" package. Able to take hits from rounds up to 23mm, able to carry both Hellfire and TOW missiles( a first among western attack helos), carry bombs, and up to 76 rockets, not to mention its 3-barreled 20mm cannon. It also now has AA capability with the ability to carry AIM-9 sidewinder missiles.

The AH-1Z is one of the easiest to maintain helicopters in the world due to its new engines that are electronically maintained rather than mechanically. This makes it easier to run a diagnostics, pinpointing problems. And it is said by maintainance crews that if you keep up with the maintainance schedule, that the work needed is practically zero.

While an old design, that has been constantly upgraded through the years. The AH-1Z is truly a helicopter of the 21st century. With modern laser and radar threat recievers, a "smart" countermeasure deployment suite, and the AAR-47 missile threat reciever, it has very drastically increased the survivability and effectiveness of this time tested aircraft. The "zulu" also has new features with the airframe itself that increase the survivability. Such as fuel vapor inerting systems(to reduce likely-hood of fuel based fire), self sealing tanks, mass retention designs to make sure everything stays in place, and energy absorbing seats and landing gear for those "rough"
landings.

The USMC plan to keep them operational until at least 2020.

AH-1Z "Super Cobra"
AH-1Z
Bell AH-1Z

[edit on 4/13/2007 by ludaChris]

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Nice post, I agree that the Super Cobra (Whiskey and Zulu models) are definitely very capable systems. Also, it was not left out, look at the second reply in that threat yours truly (
) picked the Super Cobra.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Nice post, I agree that the Super Cobra (Whiskey and Zulu models) are definitely very capable systems. Also, it was not left out, look at the second reply in that threat yours truly (
) picked the Super Cobra.

Well, damn, howd I miss that? I wonder if they will ever upgrade it again, to keep it going past 2020. One of my personal favorite aircraft of all time. Rugged with massive destructive power.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 05:58 AM
link   
AgustaWestland make the fastest helicopter in the world, the record breaking Super Lynx 300 and of course the even bigger EH-101.

Given its size the Lynx can cruise at just over 245 km/h, yet take on and defeat tanks, other helicopters and enemy infantry with the wide variety of armaments available.

I personally would like to see the Lynx evolve in to a 'proper' helicopter gunship along the lines of the AH-1Z but until then, I guess that we'll have to make do with the:

EH-101.

This chopper is even faster than the Super Lynx and flies at an astonishing
280 km/h deliver up to 30 fully equipped combat troops to the battlefield within a combat radius of 1390 km.

Like the Chinook, the EH-101 can land on water and can be used to insert and exfiltrate waterborne troops.

An EH-101 on loan from Italy is at present, the USMC's choice of transport for the President en route to 'Air Force 1'.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by fritz
Like the Chinook, the EH-101 can land on water and can be used to insert and exfiltrate waterborne troops.

Technically both aircraft cannot land on water, what they can do however is hover very low and close to the surface in order to allow for launch and recovery of personnel.

Originally posted by fritz
An EH-101 on loan from Italy is at present, the USMC's choice of transport for the President en route to 'Air Force 1'.

Actually, the USMC has no EH-101's on loan. The EH-101 design marketed in the US with the partnership of Lockheed and Bell as US101 won the bid for the next generation Marine One presidential helicopter. The order is for a fleet of 23 helicopter which will be produced in the US and be fitted with mostly US made systems. Currently the H-3 serves as Marine One but it will be phased out by the new design starting in 2008.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Sorry Westy old chum, but according to Agusta/Westland website and the US-101 website, an Italian 101 is on loan to the USMC:

www.teamus101.com...

Could I be reading more in to this than there actually is?

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
That was the test vehicle used for the US101 design bid, I thought the US had bought that helicopter but apparently it is on loan. Good link Fritz, can't wait to see it in green and white...

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Why Westy? What is so Goddamned special about Green and White?

Here in the UK, we have the Royal Air Force's Queens Flight. Now they have a really naff colour scheme for their aircraft - red and white - associated with Manchester United and 'friggin Arsenal football teams.

However, in the case of the President's helicopter, red and white or, dare I say it Beaufort Blue and White would be a cracking colour scheme.

But Green and White?! Uuuuuggghhh!

The 'thing' about the Chinook landing on water is true. I was watching said helicopter do just that on a Channel 5 prog on the Best Helicopter in the World, where a SeAL team were extracted in their rubber dinghy when the Chinook's ramp was lowered into the water, allowing the inner deck to flood.

Apparently the EH-101 is also able to do this, but as it does not have a stern ramp, I am unsure about how they would go about this manoeuvre unless of course, it is just for emergencies!

[edit on 17-4-2007 by fritz]

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Well, before the current paint scheme of Air Force One was chosen (during the Kennedy era) it had ridiculous colors like orange, white and red (for security reasons). During that same time Marine One was designed with an olive green and white paint scheme to represent the Marines (olive green) and white (for the civilian president). And since the early 60's both color schemes have remained, and probably will remain, in place for the foreseeable future.

VH-71 Kestrel Next Gen Marine One

And now we are officially and hopelessly off topic... lol

[edit on 17-4-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Hey Westy. That's amazing! You can't even see the join. Where do they put the ejector rockets.

Speaking of rockets and all things gunshippy, if you had the money and the mindset to buy a Hind for your gunship collection, which varient would you purchase and why?

See? Back on topic!

posted on Nov, 2 2022 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Hi all,

I know that this thread is 15 years old, but deliveries of the AH-1Z Viper (aka "Zulu Cobra") to the US Marine Corps were completed today:
www.navalnews.com...

With deliveries of the Viper to the Marines completed, production of all Bell helicopters carrying the H-1 designation to the US armed forces is completed for good (the UH-1 Iroquois, the baseline H-1 variant, was originally designated H-40 and later HU-1, but that's another story). However, additional AH-1Zs are still being built for foreign customers, including Bahrain and Czech Republic.

top topics

join