It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flagging/Credibility

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I love ATS to bits, and I love the idea of thread flagging.

But when I look at the front page, I see an increasing number of flagged threads that just lower the credibility of the site.

Take for instance the current "leading topic right now" which is entitled

Alien Evidence on Google Earth found for all to see

Except its nothing of the sort. Its an aerial shot of what appears to be a mine.

Its someones attempt to photointerpret Google Earth - something which is nigh on impossible to do.

So I'm suggesting that the flagging system is altered a bit, maybe to allow for credibility/quality of discussion. That way the "cream" of the crop rises to the top, the quality of subject matter and debate is improved and the more dubious stuff drops off a little.

Maybe I'm just predjudice...I dunno. I thought I'd throw it out there anyway and see what other people though?

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 06:27 AM
link   
My opinion is that any system is subject to abuse...

The only relative way to prevent such abuse is censorship and we all know where that leads...

Remember,

"One mans Trash is another mans treasure..."

Semper

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 08:39 AM
link   
1 member.
1 Flag.

If you see an important thread, flag it. When threads reach the "leading topic" that means that this membership put it there. We may not always agree with what is a leading thread but that doesn't mean that we are right and the x number of members who flagged the thread are wrong. It is a simple democracy. Democracies work best when more people vote so everyone should try and flag important threads.
Alien Evidence Found On Google Earth For All To See!!! is five pages long and has (only) nine flags. It has been knocked out of the top spot by this thread.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   
One thread on the home page diminishes our credibility?

For the sake of discussion, let's say we have one thread on the home page every day that was not exactly "researched". Is that actually diminishing the credibility? Or is just an indication of a "Headliner" snagging some attention from fellow members? When Above Top Secret has no stance, how can their credibility be diminished?

The home page is 100% dynamic and aside from two staff selections, the members dictate what is visible from it. There are no prerequisites to have a thread on the home page, or even as a header at the top of the page, it is merely dictated by a collaborative effort by our own membership.

If you don't like what is being broadcasted on the home page, get out your flagging stick and start flagging threads that are of interest to you.

I object to any insinuation that this is diminishing our credibility.

The Amigos believe in our membership and have put this tremendous responsibility in our own hands. Every member or staff has the ability to flag, so we all have a voice to what can be displayed.

I prefer a system where the individual member has a voice, rather than being told what to believe. A lot of sites exist where the Administration inundates it's membership with blatant bias and a complete disregard for the opposing view. Above Top Secret has continuously advocated neutrality and has now offered the membership a huge hand in dictating what is and is not easily accessible.

We all have our opinions on this, but my opinion is that our credibility remains in tact. Anyone who spends any length of time on this board is quite aware of this, I believe.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I thought the thread title was "flagging credibility", without the /.

It still made sense to me.

you know what i'm saying.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I'm a flagging addict! Flag here, flag there, flag everywhere! Flag, flag, flag, flag, flag! Hee hee a hee a hah a hee!

Hey wait! Those are my post I'm flagging. Whew! sometimes I get carried away!

I think It should be changed that you can't flag your own post.

That's my take on it.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   

I think It should be changed that you can't flag your own post.

Why? One Flag alone cannot make your own thread reach the lead topic portion of the front page on ATS. It can on BTS though...

As to the topic of this thread, ATS is an Alternative Topics discussion board. Believe it or not, but Aliens and UFOs is considered a *gasp* Alternative Topic! Any serious discussion of that issue will always make most people roll their eyes(mine included), but I'm not so worried about the credibility of this site. It's all in individual credibility and if people on the outside looking in, cannot make the distinction between an Invidual opinion and the Boards Opinion(ie Blatant Stereotyping based on one thread or one opinion, etc), then they are probably not very bright in the first place and would not last long in a discourse on ATS(they would either give up and leave or they'll throw a tantrum and get warned and eventually banned, I've seen it happen dozens of times before).

[edit on 13-4-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Ain't Democracy Grand?

Ah, I remember the good old days. Was it just a month ago or two that people were complaining about what topics were chosen by the staff for the headlines?

Heck, even in the short time I experimented with featuring threads on AbovePolitics.com I encountered some sharp disagreement regarding what should be featured.

Naturally, there will tend to be differences of opinion about what constitutes a "top story" (or a "good president", for that matter), but I think flagging dovetails nicely with the ATS Way™, which could be summarized as "Give The Members What They Want".

Sometimes the nature of pluralities can result in some unlikely winners, but overall, I've been finding the flagging system to be a neat way to discover threads I might not otherwise have noticed.

And the beauty is that they've all been recommended by my fellow members through the cunning use of flags.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Give everyone 1 flag and 1 minus flag and then the normal people can minus the google mine thread and make sure something deserving is there instead.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   
i flag everything
every thread i enter
i flag it
You will know
my mark
is there

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Folks, if you like it, flag it. What you find interesting and credible others think its bunk and it works both ways.

Relax and enjoy all the wonderful things which are given to us for free!

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
Take for instance the current "leading topic right now" which is entitled

Alien Evidence on Google Earth found for all to see

Actually I agree. It doesn't exactly help this site..

In the same way that the hologram theory doesn't help the 9/11 truth movement.

No doubt such flagged threads will discourage some people, who had wished for a serious arena to present their ideas.

I'm not saying this degrades ATS, but think of the potential consequences.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Majic,

What I think we need is another site.

ATS conspiracy, moderators force people to choose topics via mind control, and making them actually think they are choosing the topics.

Your damned if you do and your damned if you don't.

Yours Truly,

Realtruth

Originally posted by Majic
Ain't Democracy Grand?

Ah, I remember the good old days. Was it just a month ago or two that people were complaining about what topics were chosen by the staff for the headlines?

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
ATS conspiracy, moderators force people to choose topics via mind control, and making them actually think they are choosing the topics.

Interesting cause I never use the flagging system to choose what I read or what I respond to. How I decide is by going to my favorites. There I selected every forum to be on so that I can look through all the recent topics for all the different forums on ATS BTS and PTS. That way I can effectively view the entire website and make my decisions from one spot. No flags are required. In fact I never look at the main page where Flagged topics make it to the top of the page. I don't really care. I will choose what I want to read.

What I have noticed is that hot popular topics that are flagged a lot rarely interest me. Sometimes they do but its a crap shoot with me. But I flag threads that I enjoy or agree with and others I don't. So thats how the flagging system works for me. If I don't have anything to say in the thread but it was enjoyable to read I flag it. If I respond to a thread I flag it as well.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
One thread on the home page diminishes our credibility?

The problem is this is an ongoing ordeal from what i can tell since i've been more active here in recent weeks. It seems like everyday almos that some cockamaymee topic ends up on the front page. I've even been seeing them where the OP is banned before the thread falls out of the top spot.

I love the flagging feature, dont get me wrong, but it's being wasted/abused from my observations.

My idea is have it so that the Mods can disable that button when these absurd posts happen (and numerous warnings have to be given to the OP for conduct, and so on).

I wont even suggest a a "bury" feature (like at digg.com) that the users can click on, but perhaps the mods maybe.

Also, general encouragement to get users to flag more often may get the other threads and issues more activity, especially sinc ethe "views" are gone now. Maybe that will work itself out tho, the lack of views is rather recent...

[edit on 16-4-2007 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

new topics

top topics

join