It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Say no to stem cells, then approve a bill?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Senate approves embryonic stem cell bill

news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=AjbW3c_CrQxy3oivhDRLFBEPLBIF

WASHINGTON - A stubborn Senate voted Wednesday to ease restrictions on federally funded embryonic stem cell research, ignoring President Bush's threat of a second veto on legislation designed to lead to new medical treatments.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To me it sounds like the American people are just getting jerked around here, I no longer know what to expect.

[edit on 13-4-2007 by theutahbigfoothunter]

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Part of the goal of the powers that be is too keep the general populace in a constant state of confusion. I have to say they do a damn good job of it. It's all a part of the plan.

[edit on 13-4-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
What do you mean "say no to stem cells"? The election last fall carried democratic partially because of the stem cell issue (democrats obviously being pro-research). In states like Missouri, democrats were definately helped by this issue.

Bush has obviously always been agaisnt any sort of stem cell research, so what is so conflicting here? Democratic House+Senate versus Republican President...anything new?

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Bush is the one that said no to stem cell research not the Senate get your facts right.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
You all need to get your facts strait. President Bush does not want FEDERAL MONEY (taxes) to go to EMBRYONIC stem cell research. The President SUPPORTS PRIVATE funding but believes that the 'TAXPAYER' should not have to pay for it.

This entire issue is tied up in the abortion debate; where would the embronic stem cells come from?

What 'breakthroughs' have come from the current embryonic stem cell research?

What' 'breakthroughs' have come from adult stem cell research?

Please provide links to back-up your assertions.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I thought there would be more interest in this topic on this site........maybe it is true that unless a thread is against anything 'right' or 'republican/Bush' or for 'left' or 'dem/lib' there is no interest.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Because one of the majors of my daughter is cell bio, she is pro cell stem research and occurs I support her choices.

I am aware of what is going on with this research because of her and her own studies.

The cells that are being use now are from frozen embryos left behind after vitro fertilization and fertilization clinics.

No from aborted fetuses, those are the only cells that the government is giving money for research.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Yes you are right......the only embryonic cells being funded by the gmt. are the 'old' ones.

Private reseach (private funds) can be done.

From what I've read....there has been more advances using adult stem cells and embryonic cells......

Acutally I can't recall any positive results with embroynic cells.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
My daughter said that due to the restrictions on the use of human cells by the government on studies funded by them, they can only do primitive experiments like replicating body parts like noses and ears to see how they can be manipulated.

Their potential is so great that is still a big area that has not been targeted yet due to restrictions.

She has been working with human cells from placental fluid the cells comes from Africa and is to treat malaria on expectant mothers.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
ferretman, there is this cool deal called google..........

www.associatedcontent.com...

Diabetes is prevalent in my family and this is certainly a ray of hope.

This link is one of many that I found dealing with the positive results of
stem cell research.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   
www.timesonline.co.uk...

Yes Whaaaaa I read that ~2 weeks ago.......my nephew, 5 yrs old, has type 1.

But the results of the 'study/test' were on 12-34 yr olds and not a whole lot of them were so-called 'cured'.

Private companies can experiment with embryonic stem cells as much as the want.......why don't they? Why do most use adult stem cells?

[edit on 20-4-2007 by ferretman2]

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 08:46 AM
link   
This is interesting and I think certainly warrants more research. Think of what this could do for wounded returning from Bushes War not to mention other types of accidents and diseases.

www.wired.com...

I think we are just at the beginning of biotech and it will reveal wonders along with horrors.

I don't particularly trust medical ethicist because they are probably in the pocket of big pharma and the health for profit machine. It's a sad day when you cant trust the government, or the academic world to keep the best interest of the citizenry paramount.

It's a brave new world; welcome to the monkey house!

[edit on 21-4-2007 by whaaa]

new topics

top topics

join