It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm Taking up Golf

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I've decided to take up golf, primarily because I need more exercise in my life and walking around with a bag of clubs on my back seems like pretty good exercise, plus some fun to boot.

I have only played golf twice and neither experience was good, but there were good reasons for that and this time, I intend to go about it more methodically.

I'm moving incrementally toward this goal, as I am not rich and can't afford to buy a set of Calloway's, some fancy duds, and hit the links in high style.

Last night I bought 144 shag balls, because there's no use wasting good balls by losing them in the woods or the water traps.

Today, I went to a golf specialty shop and told the salesman that I wanted a set of clubs suitable for beginners, but that I wasn't interested in wasting my money on junk.

I decided on a box set of Golden Bear clubs that has every club I need, including a sand wedge, for about $300. I did some putting in the store with the putter and I like it a lot.

I asked the salesman if he had any plaid knickers, argyle sweaters, and perhaps some Tam o' Shanters to wear to the links, but he said they were out of stock, so I guess the fashion aspect will have to wait.

Anyone have any advice for a beginning golfer and maybe a critique of my choice in gear?

Oh, yes, I do intend to take golfing lessons before I hit the links.

[edit on 2007/4/13 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I've been playing 27 years Grady and my advice would be:

1. Proper grip is the most important thing.
2. Keep your head down throughout the shot, swing easy, and let the club do the work.
3. Bring plenty of beer.

Peace

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I like golf; I suck at golf.

Dr. Love is giving the same advice my friends (most of whom are scratch or better golfers, ie they can play) give me... so I'd start there.

I will add to that that I have a hard time hitting my woods off the tee (my grip is the big problem I think) so I usually use my three iron. I made an eagle once on a 520 yard (or thereabouts) par 5 with my three iron!

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
1. Proper grip is the most important thing.
2. Keep your head down throughout the shot, swing easy, and let the club do the work.
3. Bring plenty of beer.

I would only change the order.

1) Bring plenty of beer.
2) Keep your head down and don't try to kill it.
3) Proper grip.

Beer is the priority.
And, if you're a really good golfer, cigarettes.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essedarius
Beer is the priority.
And, if you're a really good golfer, cigarettes.

I gave up beer and cigarettes a long time ago.

Sounds like good advice, though.

Originally posted by Rren
My best score to date is a 99. But that was on a very easy par70 course. Haven't broke a hundred since.

More shots means more exercise and that's really what it's all about for me.

[edit on 2007/4/13 by GradyPhilpott]

JbT

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Simply one of the best sports to take up if your family plays sports.

My 81 year old Grandfather who is the ex-president at our local club shot his age last year (80). Myself, Im around a 90-95 Shot player on par 72's. So as you can see, my grandfather whoops my ass at his ripe old age.

Really is one of the only sports where my elders can either be better than me, or on par.

Most of all, it will be the sport that I try to pass onto my kids if/when I have them. It would be a dream of mine to play with my grand children and school them at the same time.

Love it!

[edit on 13-4-2007 by JbT]

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
2. Keep your head down throughout the shot.

Very important to do this. I have been golfing since I was about 10 years old. There is a park behind my dads house and I would always take his clubs out back there and practice golfing.

I usually shoot around 85-95 depending on the course. Golf is one of my favorite sports. It is very easy to get into, but very very difficult to master.

My best advice to you starting up is practice practice practice. You should spend plenty of time on the driving range getting your swing up to par, and also a lot of time practicing your chipping and putting skills.

Your choice in gear does not really matter. I don't use gloves or even have golfing shoes. I just go into the course dressed like I normally am on any day. haha.

Oh don't get too frustrated if it takes you a while to get going. Golf is a very difficult sport so don't be suprised if you lose all your balls during one round. No pun intended. But who knows you might be a natural at it.

Most importantly have fun!

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by JbT

My 81 year old Grandfather who is the ex-president at our local club shot his age last year (80).

Excellent!
My Gramps, may he rest in peace, could play too.

I think old guys are good 'cause they know how to (or their physical health makes them) take a nice easy swing. Or as Dr Love advised "let the club do the work." Good advice.

I played baseball for many years, my golf swing is similar unfortunately. I tend to try and hit the ball like it stole something.

Let us know your score first time out Grady... don't be shy. I've never tried to figure my average score (handicap), but I guess I'm aroung a +25 or so. Which aint pretty considering I've got a few years experience under my belt... still love to play though. (ie, hang with my buds, drink beer and drive the cart.)

My clubs:

I've got a very old set of Hogan irons and a hodgepodge of generic woods (like I said I rarely use them.) My best equipment is my putter and bag, both made by Ping. Don't waste your money on the high dollar stuff until your skill level or frequency/enjoyment of play makes it sensible to do so.

Regards.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I can hit a good driver shot 275+ yards

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I've been golfing for a few years and I absolutely love it. I bought a new set of clubs last summer but didn't manage to get out as much as I would of hoped. Coaching baseball has me traveling quite a bit, which doesn't permit me to get out on the course enough, but I always try to make time for it.

Golf is something that simply relaxes me. Always having a laugh and taking a mulligan or two when I need one. When I see people getting frustrated out on the links, I simply tell them to walk away for a few minutes. Golf is no fun if your frustrated.

I'm above average off the tee, mediocre with the irons, and a horrible putter. But I always have a good time while out there.

Golf is one of them rarities in life that, even at the worst of times, is one of the most enjoyable activities to partake in.

JbT

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rren

Originally posted by JbT

My 81 year old Grandfather who is the ex-president at our local club shot his age last year (80).

Excellent!
My Gramps, may he rest in peace, could play too.

I think old guys are good 'cause they know how to (or their physical health makes them) take a nice easy swing. Or as Dr Love advised "let the club do the work." Good advice.

I played baseball for many years, my golf swing is similar unfortunately. I tend to try and hit the ball like it stole something.

Hah! Yea, the other thing the old guys do well is to play their shots like 2-3 shots ahead. Like, they setup for easy second and third shots off the tee's... I usually just try to see how close to the hole I can get it on the first shot, which more often than not leaves me in the rough, or with a really difficult short pitch. While my grandfather would have like a 90ard pitching wedge into it.

Anyways, point of the story for the OP is this: When you feel you have your swing down and its comfortable. You can then start thinking about shot placement and setting up 'next shots' to make it a little easier on yourself.

And yea, I know what you mean about playing baseball Rren. I tend to belive that the ball said something about my sister

[edit on 14-4-2007 by JbT]

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I hope to see you out there Grady. We here in the Land of Enchantment have some of the most fantastic courses on the planet. Santa Ana's good!!
Cochiti's good too. Ruidoso sucks!

And for some really good exercise; wading the San Juan with a flyrod. My favorite.

[edit on 14-4-2007 by whaaa]

[edit on 14-4-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Well, I'm kinda poor, so I have to be real crafty about this golf thing, because I can see how things can get out of hand real fast in the financial department.

Albuquerque has some nice municipal courses, including a Golf Training Center, all of which have reasonable rates, especially with the PM pass.

I contacted the pro at the Golf Learning Center today and I like the way he talked on the phone and his task-centered approach to teaching. I can get 5 lessons for $250. There are cheaper ones, but all things considered, I think given the facilities, that's the best deal.

I now have those 144 shag balls on the way, two dozen new Nike® Super Far Golf Balls, a set of clubs, suitable for a beginner, two golf gloves, which I hadn't planned on buying until I tried one on, a pair of shoes, and 200 tees.

What all does a well-stocked golf bag contain, besides a towel and a beverage dispenser?

[edit on 2007/4/16 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
lets see baggage wise ... im only 15 and im on my schools golf team. my bag contains 2 side pockets for one i have balls and tees and the other i keep my gear in like divit fixer ball marker gofl shoes when im done. and other stuff like that... umm i usually load up on balls cuz i have a bunch of different ones so if theres water hazard ill use a crappier ball and ill load uponem.. i usually carry 50 tees... but i only play like 18 a day so if u play 72 ull need more. umm then i got a main pocket thing that i keep my best golf balls i use (cause i lose alot) on alot of par 3's and holes i no i wont lose them. umm and it has 2 nets on the side for a bottle of water or pop. now clubs wise if u can fit all go for it..i lighten my load really and (ull figure out) that after a while u dont need certian clubs or maybe u cant hit certain ones like a 4 or somthing. so i took i think it was my 8 out and my sand wedge... and i put in kinda an all around loft club a 60 degree club.. other them that take what ever u want... i got a nike bag so make sure if ur walking to get nice shoulder pads cuz they hurt after a while GOOD luck and have fun

JbT

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
My Bag:

Small Pouch = Divot Fixer, Ball Markers, Tee's, Range Finding Gadget. Gloves (when not in use).

Large Pouch 1 = Small lightweight Umbrella, Empty Room for Driver Socks or Beer/Drink/Food.

Large Pouch 2 = Balls, Spikes (when not in use).

Hanging off Bag = Small Towel, Tee/Ball Marker holding trinket, Small Wire/Plastic Brush on a Cord (For Cleaning Clubs).

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Thanks for the feedback.

I just got off the phone with my instructor and I will take my first class on Saturday at 5 pm MDT.

I will have worked 7 hours, so I will be way tired, but I should be okay.

The whole idea with this golf thing is get more exercise and to derive the personal enrichment and character development that comes from the application of oneself to any discipline.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Grady sounds like you are very well prepared.
A bit of advice if you do not catch on right away don't get discouraged keep trying and I am sure you will become the next tiger woods in no time.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by CPYKOmega
A bit of advice if you do not catch on right away don't get discouraged keep trying....

I think I'm in this for the long run.

From the moment that I decided to make this move, I've done things in a very well-paced, deliberate way, even while others were encouraging me to get out there and hit some balls.

I can wait and I think I will be the better for having researched the subject as thoroughly as I have.

I've watched the Golf Channel more in the last ten days than I have in my life and it is really an eye-opener to watch the pros, both today's and those of years gone by, with a critical eye.

My shag balls came in today and I'm really surprised at the apparent quality of these balls. I only saw maybe three balls out of the 144 that are obviously unplayable and very many look like new.

I have to admit, I'm itching to get started, but Saturday will come soon enough.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Golf is lots of fun. I'm sure you'll really enjoy it.

I'm really bad at it, but that's OK. I just tell everyone I'm interested in getting more for my money.

I usually keep a small bottle of sunscreen in my bag. The spray-on kind so my hands don't get all greasy.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Sunscreen is a must! A normal golf game if you play the full 18 holes can run up to 4 hours. Trust me if you do not put on sunscreen you will get burned. I found this out the hard way one year. I had my hat on backwards.. go figure. And when I went home I had a sunburn on my face and a line on my forehead for weeks hahaha.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join