It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remembering Dreams

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Alright, i know for a fact i dream. Dosn't everyone? I wake up sometimes in the middle of the night, just out of no where, and i just have a 'feeling' i guess that i was just in a really intense dream, i guess i have a sence of excitement or something but i can never remember what i dreamt about! i'm always hearing my friends discuss their dreams and i try so hard sometimes to recollect some of my dreams but i usually never can and its quite frustrating!

everyone once in a while i'll remember a small small detail of a dream some hours after i have already woken up but i seem to have trouble fully remembering my dreams, or atleast parts of them

anyways, is there anything i can do to remember my dreams? better yet, is there anything i can do to have more lucid dreams? sleeping is boring! i want to be entertained while i do it too

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   
believe it or not guys, i still want to know if theres any way its possible to make it easier to remember my dreams

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   
If you keep a journal by your bedside, the minute you wake up you write everything you can remember about the dream, even if it's just a feeling or impression. Doing this will allow the part of your mind that remembers dreams to exercise and it will get better and better at it.

I practiced this a lot in my late teens. It got so I could remember three and four dreams in great detail when I woke up. But if you get up and go about your day, you will lose them. You have to jot them down before you do anything else.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
excellent suggestion, why didnt i think of that?

i heard something about fish oil too or something? any idea what im talking about?

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I've heard something about fish oil ... *googling*

www.omega3fishoil.org...

DHA and Memory

A particular type of brain wave called Òp300Ó has been shown to be linked to memory and learning. The faster the rate of transmission, the more efficiently and effectively the brain is functioning. This rate unfortunately declines with age, and is slower in people with dementia. To see whether Omega-3 fatty acids could influence this brain function, researchers took 26 normal adult volunteers hooked them up to electrodes and gave them a test that determined their p300 rate. Immediately after taking the test, they were given supplements of either EPA or DHA (both derivatives of Omega-3 from fish). Two hours later, their brain waves were measured, and this time the p300 rate was significantly faster in the group given the DHA supplements, supporting their hypothesis that DHA may actually enhance mental abilities in adults as well.

Reference: Myanaga, K., K. Yonemura, and K. Yazawa. DHA shortens P300 latency in healthy persons. In International Conference on Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids in Nutrition and Disease Prevention. 1996 Barcelona, Spain.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I remember my dreams down to the smallest details.
I also dream in color ( i've heard that some people don't).

I love dreaming, I sometimes like the feeling that you have when you first wake up from a dream and realize what it was...

Like this morning for instance...

I was dreaming that I had re-inlisted in the Navy, however once there, I didn't want to be there anymore, I remembered that I was married, had a daughter and would be away from them for a very long time.
I woke up and there was my wife laying next to me and I realized it was a dream and the feeling of "being okay" was great.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Yeah a journal is the best my to deal with alot of things.

It seems that I remember everything I dream 'cause I remember everyday practically.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
must be nice, i need to train my mind

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   
One of the other uses of the dream journal aside from the obvious is keeping a record of what your subconscious "worries" about when you're sleeping. You will be able to track themes in your dreams, and figure out what your own personal symbolism is. You may also start to see layers within layers, as the dream symbols can represent more than one thing at a time.

It's a very interesting phenomenon, dreaming, not in the least supernatural. Which is why I don't mind giving it my attention. LOL

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   
ahh very interesting, i started the journal today.. this morning i mean when i woke up, i couldnt remember much so i just wrote how i felt when i woke up.. tired.. HAHA, well it was 5AM

i didn't just write tired.. it was a joke

hopefully this helps

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Just do it without fail, religiously if you will. Every morning you should remember more and more detail. Good luck. It's interesting to see this part of yourself with some depth and clarity.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Hi, dreams eh..........I was just thinking about my repetitive dreams about 20 seconds ago and then saw your post..........(very twilight zone).

Some good experiments to try:

Drink lots of fluids before going to bed, this causes you to wake in the middle of the night for a "pee", but wakes you from a deeper state than normal. You may remember more details this way.

Lucid dreaming: find a small group of friends for this one.....
Arrange to meet them in your dreams at a certain familiar place. If you dream of being in that place, observe who is there and who is absent. Then, when you see them again, find out who made it there and who they saw. If someone didn't make it, they may have been absent to the others in their dreams.....spooky.

The repetitive dreams I have had:
When I was very young (3-5) I used to wake up crying from a scary dream that would keep coming back. I was scared, not because of monsters or anything, but from the fact that I could never explain what it was! I was just shapes, sounds and feelings to me at the time.
Years later I was able to close my eyes and with a little focus be able to reproduce the images, sounds and feelings. Not scared anymore. I concluded that it was "memories of the womb". Far out eh!

The other dream I have is of running, like a gymnast, bouncing on a trampette and jumping. Sometimes I flop and sometimes I fly, up, up and away. I use this dream to judge my state of well-being and as a general guide to my present and immediate future situation.

Do bear something in mind with your ability to remember dreams.....alcohol and drugs can hinder the recall abilities. Something I have experienced myself.

I also believe that a flashback later in the day can bring a dream to mind many hours later.

So sweet dreams, try the lucid dream experiment, it's fun and just talking about dreams with your friends can help you recall them.

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   
trippy stuff nerbot

well the dream journal has been workin out kinda nicely for me. ive been doin it for like a week and i havnt really seen any patterns but have seen some stuff that i might be concerned with, like money, i dreamt about that one night last week it sucked.. the other one was about cofee.. decafe cofee and how i didnt want a cup, i dont get it

nerbot i used to have repetitive dreams when i was young, around the same age actually, that i was able to remember clearly. they werent even really repetitive tho, it was almost like a dream from the night before was meshing into the dream i was experiencing that night, it went on and off for a few weeks where i had these dreams, i was like a pirate.. a space pirate to be exact.. and i astro traveled in my space pirate ship and i had a whole crew of really big strong guys and stuff man it waes weird!

i agree talking about dreams with friends does help me recall some of my dreams sometimes

and you might be right about the alcohol and drug statement.. arghh..

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 12:06 AM
link   
There are lots of great ways to begin remembering your dreams. Once you've become old hat at remembering what you dream, you'll find it's easier to become conscious of the dreams you're having while you're having them. On the other hand, it's pretty a pretty tall order to go from not remembering your dreams to lucid dreaming. Anyway, here are some tips that have helped me in my never-ending quest for a more exciting night of sleep...

Set your alarm to sound every hour. REM sleep starts at around 45 minutes, so if your alarm clock goes off an hour later, that's 15 minutes of dreaming. The idea is to wake you up straight from your dream phase. You'll be more apt to remember your dreams this way.

Keeping a dream journal is probably number one. Just keep it by your bed side. No need to write anything flowery or make it sound pretty. Even if you wake up in the middle of the night and can remember only one thing, like a sound, or a color, or a scent, write it down. It doesn't have to be complete full sentences, fragments are just fine. The poing is that key phrases may help you more easily recall your dreams later on in the day, especially if you write it down.

This one can be a bit more tricky, but try willing yourself to remember your dreams. As you go to sleep, try and keep it in your mind that you will remember your dreams tonight. Try and remember to do this especially during those moments between waking and sleeping. Of course, this is when it's most difficult.

If you're looking for something a bit more simple and don't have a problem spending a little money (not much), you may want to try something like a hypnotic suggestion CD (the first one i ever bought worked like a charm) or even a brain wave generator. These are very curious bits of technology that i personally think will become huge in the future.

Finally, i will say that recollection of dreams tends to rise and fall with the intensity of drug use. The more you smoke, the less you remember your dreams, and vice-versa. This is key.

Take it for what it's worth. I set out in sixth grade to control my dreams to stop having nightmares. Started remembering all of my dreams within 3 months, lucid dreaming within 6. I haven't had a nightmare since, and i'll be 30 in August. So it worked like a charm for me.

On a bit of a more mysterious note, i've had some very curious dreams regarding an ex girlfriend who killed herself when we had just broken up some 12 years ago. The dreams probably started five years after she died, and had me convinced that i was either being visited via my dreams by her, or that the mind is something to get lost in. or both.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I have found that some mental conditioning is a very good way to improve the vividness and ability to remember your dreams; what I mean is for 10 or 15 minutes before you fall asleep, tell yourself that you are going to remember your dreams that night. Repeat this to yourself mentally several times and you will be surprised at it works. Give it a couple - three days and you will see results.

I love my dreams, even the nightmares (at least most of the time) and I really enjoy remembering them the next morning and trying to decipher what they meant. Sweet dreams!

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Woah Cyfre thanks, thats a bunch of information i wasn't expecting! thanks so much

Mr Fantasy.. im going to try that tonight.. i usually mediate before bed for atleast 20 minutes but i usually dont keep remembering my dreams in mind.. i'll try it tonight tho

Thanks guys, gettin more feedback in this thread then expected

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 07:21 AM
link   
so i told myself i was going to remeber my dreams last night before bed.. over and over for about 20 minutes

and guess what, it worked, i remember what i dreamt last night really really well actually

and i was able to log it as well

thanks guys

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Nice work, biotic. Keep writing in your dream journal, keep working at it and you'll find you not only remember your dreams, but you're consciously aware of them as they're happening. After that, you'll start choosing your own actions as your dream, and finally you'll be able to manipulate the dreaming world around you.

There are lots of resources available on what your astral self can do from that point, but i'm not ready for that myself.

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
i seem to be more aware now when im dreaming where in the past it has been harder for me to distinguish if im dreaming or not

thanks for all the tips guys im already noticing huge improvements..

the dream journal seems to be working wonders..

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Everyone dreams every time they sleep long enough. You only remember you dreamed when you woke up during a dream as far as i heard. That's why you can't remember full dreams.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join