It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A REAL Hornet?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I was reading up on the Ultra Hornet (Super Hornet Block II+). Is it possible that the USN is going to have a REAL F/A-18 in the inventory soon?

The architecture backbone is a fibre-optic data network and advanced mission computer (AMC). Block II+ uses the latest Type 3 AMC, produced by General Dynamics Information Systems, with two times the throughput and memory of the Type 2 computer in Block II Super Hornets.

Plugged into this architecture are the new APG-79 active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar AAS-46 advanced tactical forward-looking infrared (ATFLIR) pod digital sold-state recorder (DSSR) accurate navigation (ANAV) system and Link 16 multifunctional information distribution system (MIDS).

"Beginning with Lot 30, every aircraft will have AESA," says Mathews. Until then, some F/A-18E/Fs are being delivered with the earlier mechanically scanned APG-73 radar. The US Navy plans to retrofit 135 APG-73-equipped Block II Super Hornets with APG-79, for an eventual total of 415 AESA-equipped aircraft.

The Raytheon AESA brings the capability for simultaneous air-to-air and air-to-ground operation and, starting with Lot 30, two-seat F/A-18Fs will have the advanced crew station, which decouples the front and rear cockpits. "The front-seater can sanitise the airspace while the rear-seater conducts an air-to-ground campaign," says Mathews. Both crew members will have the joint helmet-mounted cueing system.

Lot 30 also introduces the ANAV box, which replaces the F/A-18's CAINS inertial navigator and MAGR GPS receiver with a tightly integrated system that addresses obsolescence and provides "unprecedented air-to-ground accuracy", says Mathews.

Another step in expanding the Super Hornet's precision attack capability has already been taken with fielding of the digital sold-state recorder. Replacing an analogue cockpit video recorder, the DSSR brings the capability to grab and store sensor images, and send them over existing communications links - either Link 16 or the ARC-210 digital radio.

"On ingress, the crew can see ATFLIR streaming video in the cockpit, frame-grab a still image of the target and datalink it to the forward air controller, who looks at the image, annotates it with Blue Force positions and datalinks it back," Mathews says, cutting the time needed to "talk" the aircraft to the target to "low-digit minutes".

www.flightglobal.com...

Unfortunately the full capabilities won't be seen until around 2012, but it would be nice to see the Hornet finally come into being as a serious fighter, not the joke it started out as with the A-D birds.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   
That last comment about it being a joke in the A-D series is a bit harsh, but I get the meaning. As we talked about on the chat the block 30 F 18F with the HMDS is going to be neat!

Peace, Mondo

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Yeah it was a bit harsh, but I heard so many complaints about the short legs of those early birds. That was always the biggest problem with them according to all the pilots I talked to.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I am no fan of the Hornet.

Out of curiosity, though, I'd like to know why you called it a joke.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 08:17 PM
link   
The range/payload factor on the early F/A-18s was absurdly low. Most of the pilots I talked to about them said that the number of times they had to refuel under a max payload was ridiculously high. According to them, they could stay in theater about 45 minutes on a combat mission before they HAD to leave to refuel, where others could stay for 1-2 hours.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Ah, yes. I had always thought that the F-14 was superior, at least in terms of functionality. If only we could have seen a modernized version.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Personally I've always been a fan of the Super Hornet, it has (and will have) one of the best avionic, sensor and wepaons packages anywhere in the world. The Block II+ will eventually give way to the Block III which is being developed now. The Block III will include a more 'stealth' optimized airframe and new and more powerful engine as well as advanced avionics and next generation wepaons. People often dismiss the Rhino because of "unimpressive" raw perforce specs and because of earlier versions, failing to realize it is currently one of the most capable fighters anywhere in the world.

The Block III Rhino in combination with the F-35C will give the USN unmatched naval air power.

Link
Link

[edit on 12-4-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
Ah, yes. I had always thought that the F-14 was superior, at least in terms of functionality. If only we could have seen a modernized version.

I'm going to get a little off the subject here, sorry. If you are interested in the topic the reason why the F-14 tomcat was retired, look up galm 1 in the member profile. I started a thread on the reason that the F-14 tomcat was retired.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   

I had always thought that the F-14 was superior, at least in terms of functionality.

How do you figure? I will concede that early versions of the Hornet had short legs (compared to the F-14) but the newer models are more effective in the function of A2A and A2G warfare than the F-14 was.

[edit on 12-4-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 08:43 PM
link   
WestPoint, cost/performance aside, I guess I am biased in favor of dedicated role planes. Jack of all trade type planes like the Hornet lack a certain edge.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Here is how I see it, the F-14 tomcat is a classic fighter, but I think that it was almost time to retire it. Just look at my thread that I created. All of what you need to read on th etomcat is right there.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Don't forget this one, Galm

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Ahh, back to the topic.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Jack of all trade type planes like the Hornet lack a certain edge.

While the Super Hornet has not been featured in a Top Gun movie I still think rating aircraft in that way is a bit, irrational...

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   
F-14 Tomcats were nice planes but they are gone. Much thought went into the process of creating the F-18 Super Hornet. As far as I can tell, the Super Hornet is more than able to fill the role of the F-14. This just really boils down to opinions but if you seriously crunch the numbers, this decision was a wise one. What would you prefer? A navalized SU-27 or something else? I personally think the Super Hornet is gonna reign supreme for quite some time into the distant future.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Will the EA-18G replace the EA-6B? The Super Hornet is going to take the place of the naval jets. Let me ask you this, what will happen to the decreped jets after they are retired?

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   
We answered this question for you before IIRC. Yes the Growler is replacing the Prowlers. Once they're retired, they go to AMARC where they are kept in storage for a number of years, before being recycled.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Besides the politics involved, the Air Force made a wise decision to go with the simpler F-16 rather the the Northrop YF-17 on which the F-18 was based. The Navy's just had strange itch for twin engine fighters when from a cost to reliability ratio there were only marginally more reliable than the F-16. And neither aircraft IMHO were truly an effective replacement for the the F-4 in the multirole fighter dept especially as tactical bombers. Rumor mill has it that even the old F105 could actually out run them both in dash attack mode. From what I understand the new F-35 is actually slower than both. Don't get me wrong, stealth is a great technology but when the fur starts flying, I think that speed and maneuverability are far more important than stealth.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
The range/payload factor on the early F/A-18s was absurdly low. Most of the pilots I talked to about them said that the number of times they had to refuel under a max payload was ridiculously high. According to them, they could stay in theater about 45 minutes on a combat mission before they HAD to leave to refuel, where others could stay for 1-2 hours.

Wow..
Sounds totally MiG-29-ish to me!

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
We answered this question for you before IIRC. Yes the Growler is replacing the Prowlers. Once they're retired, they go to AMARC where they are kept in storage for a number of years, before being recycled.

I know that you all answered that on my other thread, but what will happen to the retired jets? Will they be sold to other countries or stored away in Arizona.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Hey Westpoint do you know if the block III will get a new or uprated engine? I read somewhere that due to a congressional mandate the Super Hornet development wasn't allowed to improve it's performance envelope too much over the early series. I would assume that this was so it wouldn't cut in on the F-35's territory. And if it is getting further stealth improvements it makes you wonder why the navy would even bother with the F-35 at all. Particularly as both aircraft will be multi role and don't differ very much in their overall performance specs.

I must say that bar the thrust to weight ratio, the Super Hornet is what the F-18 should always have been. Which is one reason I have always felt uneasy about it being used as a primary fighter by many airforces.

LEE.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join