It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can I get a gold star for being a patient understanding Parent?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I haven't had a fight with my 16 year old Daughter for 3 days.

:O

Now, I know that is a short time, but it is an amazing feat.
I am not sure if I woke up 3 days ago with my head on the wrong way around BUT I have restrained myself from wanting to punch her out to laughing and joking about everything and it is going well = No fighting.

Ok so now it is 2:18 am in the morning and my eyes are hanging out of my head BUT I am dedicated to staying up and 'hanging out' while she is online, I am online. I know now, her myspace, her online friends etc and even when her friends send her funny packages in the mail and she has to open them online, I am there, opening the package with her. Well today, one of her friends sent her an adult toy..funny yes,
but miss conservative me was like... oh how funny... (yes, that is amusing thing) [where tf??? does this little ^^%$##*&*^%#] live so I can send big daddy around...
but it's okay, I am a grown up and its all okay.

Where is the *&^%$# handbook on raising kids?????

cos I want to read it. Then I want to rip it up and throw it in the bin....

either way, now I have said that to return the joke, I am to walk into an adult store and buy something to post back...for her... ha ha ha ... yes funny.

Either way, I do believe hanging out with her and eating my ideals is the best thing. At least we are getting along and I will just get myself a good eye cream to help the puffy tired eye look

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Did you let her keep it?

Glad I'm not a parent.

and myspace is... well myspace.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 12:13 PM
link   
um yes I did...

but she gave it to me

ha ha ha
lol

either way, I was an adult and said 'maybe we can send it on to someone else as a joke'.... lmao

this is the same parent when asked what a lesbian was, I told her, it was a person who came from lesbia...

hmmm so, I think I have came along way.

-> whats your postal addy? ha ha ha

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Boy can I relate! Got a 16 year old daughter myself, loves to chat online and take over my ATS/BTS time.Loves to have violent mood swings too.And defy all authority including mine.Well she gets it honestly from me and we do have our really good mother/daughter moments.Especially when we made our own websites together.How I wish there was a manual.Is she your oldest or only child?I can say this, if one of my daughters friends sent her a sex toy, it would be express mailed back to the parents asap.Even if it meant an all out war.It is important to me to be a friend and a confidant to her but I must keep up my parental authority too.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   
My oldest is a 16 year old daughter. Maybe we could start a misery club. My wife and I would join.

Fun, ain't it?

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
That's so funny!

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by NJE777
this is the same parent when asked what a lesbian was, I told her, it was a person who came from lesbia...

This made my day!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gold star award!

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
Loves to have violent mood swings too.

Thats why 3 days without fighting is amazing. She is happy la la and then the next minute, grumpy and nasty. That is what I usually get mad about.

Well she gets it honestly from me and we do have our really good mother/daughter moments. Especially when we made our own websites together.

I think that is the key, doing things together and being honest. She is the oldest and has a Brother but he lives with his Dad so she is like an only child in terms of attention.

I can say this, if one of my daughters friends sent her a sex toy, it would be express mailed back to the parents asap. Even if it meant an all out war. It is important to me to be a friend and a confidant to her but I must keep up my parental authority too.

I wanted to do that, but I think at times kids try the shock factor...and the quicker you laugh about something, the less energy you give it. If I had have done that, it would have caused a huge argument because I would have embarrassed her. I did something similar a while ago, some little shmuck was sending her harrassing text messages, I rang the little *&^% and said... gr gr gr and big daddy is keeping an eye on the messages. Well... urgh!..what a drama. I had invaded her privacy by reading the messages and then treated her like a child when I rang to deal with it...so *sigh... I decided less Mummy, more friendship... at least she can come to me and chat about everything and I would rather that...
-----------------------------------------------
Yeahright.... a scream room would be good to organise too
I bags the first 10 minutes in the room

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   
:shk:OOOHHHH I hear you loud and clear on the privacy thing and the " I'm mature enough to handle this myself' thing. My daughter was having a huge conflict with a teacher and did not want me involved. Her vice principal called me and I just told him she wanted to handle it herself. I say for the most part let them walk the tightrope themselves just be a damn good safety net.I have found that you need to balance between friendship and authority. If you are just being a friend they will take advantage and walk all over you. If you give to much authority they will withdraw or rebel or both. But every child is different and must be treated as such.Some need more supervision and guidance than others even within families some siblings have different needs. Have you ever had a heart to heart chat with your daughter about your expectations from each other? She may at first roll her eyes at the suggestion. Just point out that in the future if you both set guidelines it may avoid some all out battles.I am far from an expert but this worked well enough for me and my daughter has 2 older brothers and 5 younger siblings.We all live in the same house.Of course we still have conflicts but we try to talk about them instead of fighting as it only hurts feelings and doesn't solve anything. Let me know how it goes.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
I say for the most part let them walk the tightrope themselves just be a damn good safety net.

That is very wise and I agree.

Have you ever had a heart to heart chat with your daughter about your expectations from each other?

Yes and no, we have family table discussions and when I say -> table time she knows that its crunch time. But what I do is now, control the purse strings. Well, she is 16 and I pay for her mobile phone = $130 or so a month and so much other extra stuff so when for eg like yesterday, she wanted me to drive her into the city as she was running late (taxi service too), I did. But, she was such a cow that when I picked her up, I didnt say much, but she asked me to give her a lift somewhere else. And I just said NO...don't feel like it. She cracked a fart over it and I just didnt give a rats and at the same time, I just looked at her like, ha ha... see what happens when you piss mummy off?

this worked well enough for me and my daughter has 2 older brothers and 5 younger siblings.We all live in the same house.

Farout, does that equal 8 kids?????
Oh wow... You deserve a medal.
I shudder to think!!

Oh and I am going to the adult shop today to buy some silly toy for a prank... OMG... I keep putting it off, like oh I forgot but must just get it over and done with.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Yeah,

I'll give you a gold star.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I think you should keep the adult toy for yourself

No Way would I ever go buy one for her to return to someone as a gag gift! Not at 16!

My daughter is 19, and she was a pill about fighting with her dad. God that drove me crazy. I think you should become a myspace spy like I did so I could see what my kids were doing online. Yes, you have to join myspace to do that if they have private profiles. Now I get I love you notes all the time from my kids to post on MySpace
I love you mommy [or] I love you so much momma
Cute!

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by jensouth31
I think you should keep the adult toy for yourself

lol it did cross my mind!!
but then, I thought there is no fun with it really, I would probably use it, then get angry -> frustrated cos I'd prefer the real thing.
And be even worse!!!!

but, I did go to the adult shop and I bought a men's equivalent to a female toy. (I didn't even know they made things like it) It was only $10.00 so thats good. Once I got over the embarrassment I was laughing at some of the stuff in there.

They had this blow up cow
with all of these 'special features'

Obviously, the cow is a for a hens or bucks party... a joke. But, we will never really know.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I can't stop laughing now

That's funny I've never actually been to one of those store

new topics

top topics

join