It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's not my fault....... I'm a product of my environment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   
The spate of knife and gun attacks in the UK in recent years has shocked and outraged the nation.
In the last few weeks we have seen many reports of knife attacks that result in death.
In some parts of the UK the average life expectancy is less than 40 years for males. example:
manchestereveningnews.co.uk
The government promised to be "tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime" - so have we seen any evidence of this? In my view, the answer is an emphatic "NO".

So why do we face these problems?
Many reasons:
Too many police doing too much paperwork
Too many police having to act as social workers
Social workers forgetting that they have a wider duty to the community as a whole
The nanny state where kids cannot be chastised
The modern classroom where the rule is "for every time you tell them they are wrong, you must tell them they are right 5 times"
A lack of social ethics and morals, with children left to make up their own minds about right and wrong
Sink estates where lawlessness and mob rule predominate - with little or no police presence
The human rights bill, which, when abused, protects the welfare of the criminal rather than the law-abiding citizen
Teachers, powerless to enforce order in the classroom
news.bbc.co.uk...
The list goes on......
But how can we draw a line under this in our "modern, enlightened society"?

When i was at school, over 20 years ago, respect and decent behaviour were the order of the day - amongst peers as well as adults.
In fact, if we carried a knife, our peers were quite likely to give us a slap for it rather than thinking us "tough"

Todays gun and knife culture, prevalent in the UK is close to breaking the countries social structure and fabric.
I don't advocate a return to "victorian values" (yeah, thanks maggie), but what I do advocate, is a return to common sense, practical policies and policing, and an end to the left-wing culture of kids not being able to do wrong.

It's about time that here in the UK, the ordinary citizen let the government know just how strongly we feel about this spate of lawlessness, with people scared to go out of their own homes in broad daylight.

Let me know your thoughts........

mod edit, format link

[edit on 11-4-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Apparently outlawing guns isn't such a good idea after all.
Arm the citizens, give them a tool to fight the criminals and defend themselves.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
Apparently outlawing guns isn't such a good idea after all.
Arm the citizens, give them a tool to fight the criminals and defend themselves.

Not entirely sure that this is the answer
In fact I would go so far as to say it's a very silly idea for the UK

new topics

join