It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hardest day of my life.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Maybe no one cares, but it doesnt really matter now does it, I just want to talk about today, and the problems I am facing. Today, I was kicked out of my house, I dont know for how long, and I dont know if I can ever go back, a few days ago my school had a huge fire so I cant go there because theres no class, so I have no where to go, I cant get ahold of any of my friends, and anywhere I go I cant stay. Hopefully school will be open again tommarow, at least its a place to be, but right now I cant go anywhere. What I have is my clothes, my labtop, a bottle of water and a copy of V for Vendetta, maybe it doesnt sound like I have much of a problem, other then the whole I dont have a home, I dont have a job, I dont have any family and I dont have any friends to go to, I am just sitting in a mall stealing internet. Maybe things will take a turn for the better, or they could get worse, but for the time being, things dont look to bright. ATS/BTS has gotten me through some hard times before, maybe this time aswell, theres more stuff, but I think I have said enough.

...how many homeless posters on BTS?

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I know it won't seem like it...

But if tommorow comes it's not that bad of a day.

Hang in there

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Well I surely hope tommarow is at least somewhat of a better day, at least I found out that school goes back tommarow, so I can hang out there and make some better plans of what I am going to do.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Man.. thats tough...

May I ask how old you are, where you are etc. If you're close enough to me I might try to help you out in some way if I can?

Why were you kicked out?

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   
You may want to check out the survival threads on ATS. There is definitely some good info on surviving on the land. Make yourself look homeless and try pan-handling. You may not get much but it will be enough for booze and food! :w:

Good luck man!

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Im 16, and im in Edmonton Albeta, just hanging out in city centre stealing internet. I was kicked out because me and my mother really cannot get along at all, I was planning on moving out in about a month or so, but then some words were said and here I am.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrepareForTheWorst
Make yourself look homeless and try pan-handling.

Yeah, I might try that, I wish I would have grabbed my bass before I left, probably make some more money that way, oh stupid me and forgeting the essentials.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I'm homeless but I don't trip on it. The things that bother me about it is...

You see very few homless people no matter how educated they are with steady girlfriends. The girls/women are too concerned about what their peers will think, so they instantly dump the person. That compounds the problem because no matter how smart you are you still need someone to help you in times of need. That makes it impossible to get out.

Everyone shuns and ignores homless people like it is something that can be caught. The bottom line is that people are homeless because they don't have family or anyone to turn to. Not because they are uneducated or lazy.

Good thing that the internet is so easily aquired this day and age that I can connect practicaly anywhere.

There is only so much job hunting with the little money homeless people get. It's $140.00 bucks a month. Can't look for a job on that. Every homeless persons situtation is a long story, so I'll just say 9/11.

I've been homeless long enough to know that %60 of the people that are homeless are well dressed normal educated people that don't dare let anyone know because it will make things worse.

A little homeless tip. Never rely on a homless shelter. They are full of crazies, it is unsanitary and you can kiss getting a job good bye! I've been a hiring manager and there is this little dirty secret that noone will admit to.

The shelters make you sign in for a reason. They put you in this homless persons database and employers have access to it. More than likely they will move on to the next resume after seeing your name listed. Or if you do get hired you will not be paid a fith of what you are suposed to and the respect factor will be zero.

Do everything you can not to let anyone know you are homless. If it makes you hameless for 6 months more. Thats better than not getting paid and not being able to afford to get out of your situation and pay rent.

Good luck!

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Modemizer
Good thing that the internet is so easily aquired this day and age that I can connect practicaly anywhere.

Yeah, thats one thing I was worried about, but luckily from the few things I got my labtop was one of them, its already helped.

There is only so much job hunting with the little money homeless people get. It's $140.00 bucks a month. Can't look for a job on that.

How hard is it to get a job without an address, places I have worked before always seem to ask for a home address, how exactly do you get around that one?

I've been homeless long enough to know that %60 of the people that are homeless are well dressed normal educated people that don't dare let anyone know because it will make things worse.

Well thats why I am staying in school, to be educated, and I dont exactly plan to tell everyone, but I do plan to tell some key people that could help me, unless would that make it worse?

A little homeless tip. Never rely on a homless shelter. They are full of crazies, it is unsanitary and you can kiss getting a job good bye! I've been a hiring manager and there is this little dirty secret that noone will admit to.

Yeah, I dont even have enough courage, no matter how desperate I could ever possibly become, to go to a homeless shelter, maybe a place called yess, but thats for people in my situation, if I can find the place I might go there.

Good luck!

Thank you.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Well, I have a close friend that he lets me stop by and jump in the shower. I use his address for my mailing and car registration. He let me live there for a year until I found an Apartment Manager job with free rent. Turned out that they where using me as a scapegoat for some mistakes they made prior to my hiring and the owner fired me giving the General Manager a pat on the back.

Never expect life to be fair or you'll go emo! I don't even know what emo means. It's not in the psychology books that I have studied! Hahahaha!

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Hey sorry to hear your situation. Your young I see and having a lot of home problems. Get your self a post office box for an address and a cell phone for employers to reach you. Check the papers for one room places. People sometimes will rent out a one room place and its not as much as a whole house. Also, shelters will take you in.

Should you talk to a school counselor, do you think they could help you. They might be able to help you find a place to live. Whatever, you do don’t drop out of school. Don’t let your family mess up the rest of your life. Have you got future plans after graduation. Such as college or police academy or the military. I went to a state college and got grants that I didn't have to pay back. I was on my own, living in my own place. So I qualify. My brother went into the military and then police academy and is now a captain. Things do turn out ok.

I know it hurts. Just let it roll off though, as much as possible.

Stay in there. I will be praying for you.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Well I got a place to stay for the night at least, a good friend of mine said I could, so tommarow I will probably spend most of my time at school and during my spare I will try and find some sort of employment or something, kind of lucky that at school in calm class we are doing a whole thing on how to move out, and if I can get a job sometime this month, I can probably move in with a bunch of friends who are planning to rent a house, just hopefully everything will work out.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
The post office box is a good idea. Many people do that. I even know some people that got laid off after the 9/11 scare.

They spent like $50 bucks a month on a cheep racketball club or workout club just so they can take their showers when needed.

When you're not working you can blow off taking showers here and there, but when you are you have to take them as you normally would.

Edit: Added!

The cell phone idea, My experience shows that it works and doesn't work.

They ask for your home phone to call you back so they can prove that you are homeless or not. Yes after 9/11 alot of people ended up homless and employers wanted to make sure they are not hiriring one of these people. Pretty F'ed up but that is reality.

Don't worry about that though. If they ask for your home number, ask if you can have theirs. They will so no and you will ask them why.

They will say that they don't know you and you will tell them that is why you are only giving out your cell.

[edit on 11-4-2007 by Modemizer]

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Talking about showers. You know alot of state parks have camp grounds. Now camp grounds have showers and laudery mats. You can just go into a state park you dont need money. You do to camp. But hey to grab that shower who will know. They won't pay attention to that.

Truck stops also have showers and laudery mats.

YMCA has showers. Do they still help the homeless? Or is that the past?

Pools also have showers.

Do locker rooms at schools still have showers? If so you can go there an hour before the bell rings and take a shower.

[edit on 11-4-2007 by Shar]

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   
ON getting a post office box. Don't let it scare you when your asked to fill out a card and ask for your physical address. They don't mail things to it.

Just make one up if you have too. Whatever you do. Don't tell them you don't have a physical address.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Im in ohio right now and you can stay with me if your anywhere near

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uisge Baugh
Im in ohio right now and you can stay with me if your anywhere near

Thanks for the offer, but I live a ways away from ohio.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I ran away from home at 16, couch surfing, did a stint in the bush tending fungus. Worked up in Northern BC, for a while. Married early, an abusive guy, go figure - still managed to get a degree and raise two well-adjusted children who have never felt the need to run away. Haven't been homeless in 27 years.

Did you run away or get kicked out. Were you being abused at home. Unless you have a very good reason your best bet is to stick it out. But that will probably turn into an I told you so. Or did she kick you out for a behavioral issue? Cause it's only gonna get worse before it gets better, if she did.
Get a tent and a sleeping bag. Got a knapsack?

No, the sooner you get off the streets the better. It's a hard life and the streets not something on the outside, it crawls under your skin the longer your there. Economy's going downhill, the more support you have starting out the better.

Why would a woman want to hitch her cart to a homeless man? With the wage disparity and social double standards, she would have to be stupid to not want one that is both a good provider for her children and able to defend her socially.

[edit on 11-4-2007 by clearwater]

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by clearwater
Did you run away or get kicked out. Were you being abused at home. Unless you have a very good reason your best bet is to stick it out. But that will probably turn into an I told you so. Or did she kick you out for a behavioral issue? Cause it's only gonna get worse before it gets better, if she did.
Get a tent and a sleeping bag. Got a knapsack?

I was kicked out, but it was always in my plan within the next to months to move out. I wasnt being abused physcaly. I was kicked out for behavioral issues. I have a backpack.

No, the sooner you get off the streets the better. It's a hard life and the streets not something on the outside, it crawls under your skin the longer your there. Economy's going downhill, the more support you have starting out the better.

Yeah, I want to stay off the streets as much as possible, mainly because my city has one of the highest homeless problems and one of the highest murder rates of Canada.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I am not sure if this will help you, but there are many organisations that are there to support people. Do not think you are alone and no one cares. That is not how it is.

Your in Alberta, Canada? Here is a number you can call. I also suggest you chat to the school and share with them your situation.

Kids Help Phone

1-800-668-6868
-----------------

Youth Emergency Shelter-Sunrise House

The shelter is a tempoaray place to stay while the youth aged 12 to 17 conduct a

supported search for permanent housing. We provide meals, clothing and personal care items

based on need.

9309-109Ave

539-3287

Open 24 hrs/day
------------------

Food

Free food is available at these locations.

Salvation Army Family and Community

Support Services

9615 102nd St.

Mon-Sat: Breakfast and Lunch

Sunday: Closed

Grande Prairie Food Bank

9615 102nd St

Mon-Fri: 9:30am-4:30pm

Trinity Lutheran Church

Loaves and Fishes Soup Kitchen

9929 - 105 Ave.

532 -4978

Sun: Supper 2:00pm

Street Outreach

The S.O.S van drives around the city offering food, water, blankets,
hygiene items and help.

(Friendship Centre)

814 -0159

Drop in Centres

Friendship Centre

Outreach and support services. Assistance for the homeless, and people at risk of homelessness, to access services to find and maintain adequate and affordable housing. Referrals to other agencies made. Come in from the cold for coffee, pool or just for a visit.

10105 97th Ave.

539-7514

Mon-Fri: 8:30am-5:00pm

Cool-Aid Society
Drop in centre offering friendship, guidance and support to youth ages 6-17.

9667 Hillcrest Dr

532-9004

www.cityofgp.com...
It might be a starting point, make a phonecall and see what these organisations can do for you.

All the best

Oh edit to include another url. This one covers Edmonton

intraspec.ca...

Special Projects
Through the Inner City Youth Housing Project Five homes, Bissell Centre and three other community agencies operate housing for 20 at-risk youths between the ages of 16 and 18 in Edmonton's inner city. The aim of the project is to provide a stable environment where youths are encouraged to lead productive lifestyles.

The Inner City Pastoral Ministry, an ecumenical church, holds weekly Sunday services at Bissell Centre. Services are followed by a lunch prepared and served by volunteers. The Ministry's staff also offers pastoral and spiritual care.

For more information about Bissell Centre's special projects, or to help by donating time or resources, contact Ele Gibson at (780) 423-2285 ext. 142

www.bissellcentre.org...

------------

Here is a list of resources for homeless people in the Edmonton area. Inside, you will find links to food, shelter, and other information. Please suggest a link.

Shelters
Hope Mission currently operates a men’s emergency shelter (Herb Jamieson Centre), a residence for at-risk women with or without children (Women’s Centre), a youth outreach centre (R.W. Tegler Youth Sports Centre), an activity and hot meal program to low income area elementary schools (Kids In Action), and a summer camp for underprivileged youth and children (Brightwood Ranch).
www.hopemission.com...

homelessnation.org...

hope this might help you !

[edit on 11-4-2007 by NJE777]

[edit on 11-4-2007 by NJE777]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join