It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islamists Bring Fight To Capital Of Algeria!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Islamists Bring Fight To Capital Of Algeria!!!

www.nytimes.com

April 11 — Two bombings in Algeria, one targeting the prime minister’s office in the country’s capital, killed at least 23 people today and injured 160, marking a sharp escalation in the Qaeda-linked violence that has been spreading across North Africa in recent months.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Looks like Qaeda rumours were right.
I dont think it is a coincidence the timing of their spate of new attacks.
I think we will be seeing a lot more of this, unfortunately.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Algeria has a long history of this. Goes back to the days of when it was a colony of France. "The fight" ,as you call it, has been going on for decades. Its nothing new. This all started during the Algerian Civil War.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I am fully aware of the history of this and other countries.
The term " Fight " was taken from the headline and therefore was not " as i put it ".
I think these attacks are significant, because of the timing and bear little to previous altercations.
Qaeda and Muslims in general ( Jordan and Saudi Arabia ) are gearing up for a battle.
There is more than talk afoot about these Muslim nations invading Iraq to help their Sunni friends.
Do not take these events lightly in these times.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadoww
Qaeda and Muslims in general ( Jordan and Saudi Arabia ) are gearing up for a battle.

"Muslims in general"..?

care to explain that one.

Al Qaeda are only there because of the current Islamic groups have been trying to create an Islamic Republic in Algeria for the last 20 years.

There is more than talk afoot about these Muslim nations invading Iraq to help their Sunni friends.

Really? care to explain again

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Gulf stands on brink of all-out war
Saudis say they’ll fight for their fellow Sunnis if the coalition forces quit Iraq,
While the Bush administration remains locked in argument with the consiglieri of the Baker-Hamilton Iraq Study Group about what to do in Iraq, events on the ground are now moving ahead of them.
There is now every chance that civil war could turn into a major regional war as the Saudis and Jordanians threaten to come in on the side of the Sunni community, and the Shia militias in turn look to Tehran and the Iranian Revolutionary Guard for backing.
"The intervention of Saudi Arabia and Jordan is now the most dangerous possibility facing us," a British commander told me, on condition of anonymity.
"We can't go, and we can't stay in the present posture. We've got to find a way of keeping a presence, but without it becoming the main problem."

This is the reality.
That is what i mean.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
It will be interesting to see what becomes of this situation, Algeria is one of the countries involved with the proposed natural gas cartel which is trying to be formed, I read about it yesterday and here is a link:Gas exporters launch pricing study

I found this piece from the BBC today and it has a decent description and history of this group of terrorists who caused the destruction in Algeria yesterday.

Profile: Al-Qaeda in North Africa

The al-Qaeda Organisation in the Islamic Maghreb has evolved out of the most feared Algerian militant group, the Salafist Group for Preaching and Combat (GSPC).

Created in the late 1990s with the aim of establishing an Islamic state in the former French colony, the GPSC waged a campaign of violence after the 1992 annulment of elections which Islamic groups were poised to win.

Some 150,000 died in more than a decade of insurgency but by early last year, its military capacity had been hit by the security forces and it was confined to the mountains east of the capital, Algiers.

[edit on 2007/4/12 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Weird.

I started a thread on this yesterday just a few minutes after the event and no one seemed to care.

Explosions rock Algerian capital

All the best,

NeoN HaZe.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Al Qaeda is an ideology and a name.

Like the IRA, Al Qaeda's name is used by different groups. The terrorist group known as Al Qaeda doesn't really exists anymore, its just a ideology and name that anyone can use if you have the same belief system.

top topics

join