It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Article: Look of Alien worlds. Getting society ready for disclosure?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Extraterrestrial plants will look different because they have evolved their own pigments based on the colours of light reaching their surfaces, says Nancy Kiang of the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Sciences in New York, US.

To determine the best colours for photosynthesis on other planets, Kiang worked with NASA's Virtual Planetary Laboratory at Caltech to determine the light reaching the surfaces of Earth-sized worlds orbiting their host stars at distances where liquid water – and therefore life – could exist. The results depended on the star's brightness and the planet's atmosphere.

NEWS LINK

Are articles like this getting society ready for the idea of disclosure? It seems the media is warming up the public more and more with the idea that life in the universe is common knowledge and that it wouldn't be shocking to learn of other planets thriving with life. At least i hope thats whats happening.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by super70
At least i hope thats whats happening.

I hope too...

for me it would be shocking that we are alone out there...

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Absolutely.

The only planet any human in the history of time ever set foot on is the planet Earth. This planet (Earth) is covered with life on every square inch with everything from elephants to germs. And yet, some earthlings have the complete nerve to stand up and say out of the trillions upon trillions of planets that stretch out into infinity in all directions, that there could not possibly be life other than the millions of various lifeforms that inhabit this paticular planet we are standing on.

Genius.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by untilted

for me it would be shocking that we are alone out there...

I agree. Almost seems selfish to think we have the entire universe to ourselves, or even the entire galaxy we live in.

Just think. There are stars in our galaxy billions of years older than our own sun! Humanity is very young. If there are planets capable of supporting life on these stars, then they would have had a huge evolutionary head start on humanity, and would be much more socially and technologically advanced than us (meaning, I think they would be benevolent since they went through the same things we are going through like war, and they were able to overcome their own differences to prevent self destruction).

[edit on 11-4-2007 by curiousbeliever]

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   
the only way the entire planet will belive in aliens is when we have contact but even then there will be people against it but the will be noway anybody will be able to deny it.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Yeah I wonder how people will react if the visitors make contact with us?
Everyone will probably be like OMG there are "SNIP" aliens in my living room OMG!!!!!!

Please Do Not Evade Automatic Censors

[edit on 9/26/2007 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by super70

I have to agree with the belief that the pigments would more likely be different, simply because the gravity will affect the density of the molecules and the shades will be variants of what our eyes perceive. It should be noted that the chances the molecular structure will vary is above 50%. With the new discoveries being made everyday the chances increase that they will be of different combinations i.e. possibly crystaline instead of organic. Or imagine an entire ecosystem of carbon60

new topics

top topics

join