It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F 35 Has No HUD....all HMDS (Helmet Mounted Display System)!!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Good day to you all,

New visuals here of the HMDS (Helmet Mounted Display System) on the F 35. In case you did not know, the F 35 has no HUD (Heads Up Display) and is the first tactical fighter in about 50 years not to have one. The reason is that there is a new intergration of HMDS (Helmet Mounted Display System) that takes the place of the HUD.

I have provided a link if you'd like a bit more detail on the system.

www.rockwellcollins.com...

What do you think gang??

Peace, Mondo

[edit on 11-4-2007 by Mondogiwa]

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I think you should of posted this in "My Thread"

www.abovetopsecret.com...

jokes
Yeah I have known about the HUD less F-35 for about 2 years now. Its a step forward in my opinion that will also help with acquiring and locking on to target with the helmet mounted system as well.

My question though would be how hard is it for them to say put this new system in the F-22's etc? I dont know the hardware involved etc but I think its a improvement that needs to be on most next gen fighters.

[edit on 22/08/06 by Canada_EH]

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   
How about some sweet images so the good people can see what we are talking about eh mondo? What yah know I have some right here

These helmets here really strike me as out of this world style when I look at them. At this point all previous missions where flown head down with the inturments in the cockpit. Also here is an interesting tid bit of info most wouldn't think of.

Developing the JSF HMD has presented tough challenges, particularly clearing the helmet-mounted optics for safe ejection at speeds up to 450kt (830km/h). VSI says the HMD demonstrated structural integrity up to 600kt in tests leading to flight certification.

link: www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
The Jump from a HUD to a HMD in the F-35 will be the biggest leap in real time SA for fighter pilots in probably the last 25 years of air combat. Now pilots don't have to take their eyes off the search for the enemy to find critical information on thier aircraft while in combat. It will make possible a much better intergration of the pilot with his aircraft, givin him a combat edge the likes of which we've never had before.

My only real gripe is why didn't they make this leap with the F-22 first? It seems like it would have been a bigger advantage to put it in an Air Superiority Fighter before a strike fighter.

Tim

[edit on 4/11/2007 by Ghost01]

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
the helmet kind of reminds me of the spartan 3 helmet...

hmmmm

Anywho that is awesome. Will definitly be a change for pilots.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost01
My only real gripe is why didn't they make this leap with the F-22 first? It seems like it would have been a bigger advantage to put it in an Air Superiority Fighter before a strike fighter.
[edit on 4/11/2007 by Ghost01]

I have been away for a bit but I have heard of the supposed integration of some technologies that may be within the F 22 that people don't really know about! I have no way of knowing anything about this other than it really makes sense as you have pointed out. However, with the unbelievably powerful sensor ssystems and radar on the F 22, maybe it is not all that necessary? The F 22 was envisioned as a standoff long range (BVR) fighter and maybe the recent situations among the Red Flag exercises and the F 18's has shown the military that a HMDS is in need!?
Just some thoughts and if you scroll down the original link in the entry post, it does go into a bit of detail about future (HMS's).

Peace, Mondo

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I understand that F22s main focus is to be up high and shoot down in BVR situations. F35s is supposed to be ground support aircraft, meaning it will be flying low and fast, a situation much more demanding for the pilot than areal combat.

So the choise to put the HMDS to F-35 is logical.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Wolf,

I agree totally with your logic and deduction. Due to recent events with the Raptor though, I would not be surprised to see it integrated at some point as an addition to the HUD already present. Remember, if you can imagine it....it has probably already been thought of and/or tried!!

Peace, Mondo

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mondogiwa
Due to recent events with the Raptor though, I would not be surprised to see it integrated at some point as an addition to the HUD already present.

Which events are you refering to Mondo?

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Canada,

If you remember there was a thread referring to an F 22 being "shot" down by an F 18, and then during Red Flag there were some instances where the F 22's were in much closer proximity to the dogfights than they had thought they may be in. Nothing new here, just to say that maybe the helmet mounted system may come in more handy than had originally been thought and/or intended by the F 22's combat envelope.
With all this in mind and the F 35 being a strike fighter, wouldn't it make sense that the F 18 E/F may have some necessity for a HMDS as well??

I mean ask the Marines, they always love to get down and dirty!!

Peace, Mondo

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I don't think the technology was available when the F-22 was being originally designed. To have integrated it later would mean more money and delays, at a time when the Raptor program was being called into question. Those same issues now are what will prevent the F-22 from getting any HMD. It's not high up on the priority list since the Raptor is already supposed to have an integrated display system with outstanding SA. Not to mention again it would cost money (which the program cannot afford to waste) and it would be a time consuming effort. The F-22 will get JHMCS, this should more than adequate for its needs.

If you remember there was a thread referring to an F 22 being "shot" down by an F 18...

That was a bull shot, nothing to do with lack of SA, just pilot recklessnesses.

[edit on 11-4-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   

If you remember there was a thread referring to an F 22 being "shot" down by an F 18,

As westpoint just said it was a bullshot from the F-18 who "almost" impacted the 22. Not to mention his airspeed after the attack run left him a sitting duck. If the 18 pilot missed he was dead plan and simple.

and then during Red Flag there were some instances where the F 22's were in much closer proximity to the dogfights than they had thought they may be in.

As its already been discussed but 22 was closer then it should of been. In my opinion thats pilot error and not the planes fault. Also its was high workload (not really and excuse) and the bogie got lost in the regeneration process and the 22 weren't aware of the Red planes current status? Honestly I have yet to hear a proper explination of what happened that day because I'm pretty sure the USAF has said what exactly happened.

Nothing new here, just to say that maybe the helmet mounted system may come in more handy than had originally been thought and/or intended by the F 22's combat envelope.
With all this in mind and the F 35 being a strike fighter, wouldn't it make sense that the F 18 E/F may have some necessity for a HMDS as well??

I mean ask the Marines, they always love to get down and dirty!!

Peace, Mondo

All pretty good points though I think if the raptor isn't getting HMDS then I doubt the F-18 will anytime soon, but never say never right? I don't think the HMDS would of really helped the raptor pilots though in these situations as both are ones that I dont think the raptor pilots would of done anything different in.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 09:51 PM
link   
hmmmm this seems quite bulky and heavy i wonder what kind of G limits this will put on pilots as this thing will be like ton of bricks on pilots neck when he is pulling high G maneuvers

cheers
nash

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by nashthegreat
hmmmm this seems quite bulky and heavy i wonder what kind of G limits this will put on pilots as this thing will be like ton of bricks on pilots neck when he is pulling high G maneuvers

There is not question it a bigger helmet but that doesn't mean heavier. The materials are all lighter for the helmet and the only difference is the tech which honestly doesn't weight that much and a bigger visor. All of these things have been made lighter and tougher. From what I've been lead to believe there shouldn't be too much noticeable weight added.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Regarding the strike fighter application of an HMDS, I would love to see it integrated into the new F 18 E/F/G models. That would really make the workload much easier for such an excellent multi-role fighter.

Yes, i am partial to the Hornet, but it is a great aircraft!!

Peace, Mondo

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I'll see if I can find the ORIGINAL Helmet Mounted Site. That one they couldn't fly missions longer than a couple of hours because it WAS so heavy that even flying straight and level wore them out. Not to mention it made the pilot look like a Bug Eyed Monster.

Not the one I was looking for, but here's an early West German one:

[edit on 4/12/2007 by Zaphod58]

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Hay Zaph is that something out of Dr Who, maybe an early cyberman!!! lol
Amazing how this tech as come on.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Super Hornet Block II+ to roll out later in 2007.

The Raytheon AESA brings the capability for simultaneous air-to-air and air-to-ground operation and, starting with Lot 30, two-seat F/A-18Fs will have the advanced crew station, which decouples the front and rear cockpits. "The front-seater can sanitise the airspace while the rear-seater conducts an air-to-ground campaign," says Mathews. Both crew members will have the joint helmet-mounted cueing system.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

If you remember there was a thread referring to an F 22 being "shot" down by an F 18...

That was a bull shot, nothing to do with lack of SA, just pilot recklessnesses.

[edit on 11-4-2007 by WestPoint23]

Bull shot? Hold up, wasn't that also the one where the F-22 got killed by an aircraft he had just shot down, that regenerated before he realized it was "live"?

What are we discussing here?

Tim

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
No. This was the first "shoot down" of an F-22. It was by an F/A-18 Hornet. He was as slow as you could get in an F-18 and still be airborne, and managed to yank the nose around to get a gun kill on the Raptor.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join