It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Building a survivalist website. Any ideas?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I'm currently building a survivalist website (with a great domain name by the way) and wondered what everyone thinks the best content would be.
I was thinking about doing reviews on new survival gear and having a resource for survival material. I don't want to go all out and sell survival goods I just want a comprehensive site with real content that would be useful. Any suggestions are welcome.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
How about simple things like basic fire starting and how to make tools out of stuff you should be able to find around you if you are ever stranded.

Also list, with photos, some of the plants you can find that are are edible, medicinal, etc.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Real content, articles on different survival topics.

Product reviews are just about worthless. I can find thousands of product reviews on the net.

Wait on building a forum till you have a good amount of bookmark traffic and daily visitors.

Content is king with the survivalist crowd. If you have some good articles instead of the generic how to build a shelter/fire buy my survival kit you could have a nice site down the road.

If you are trying to make money off this endeavor, good luck with that.

- NSBiz

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   
If you're interested in some survivalist ebooks PM me. I will find them for you.

Good luck!

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Thanks Secret Titan I will keep that in mind. And as far as making money from the site I'm not interested. Its just a great domain name that I think will have allot of traffic and I want some quality content that other sites do not have. Most I see have survival kits , hurricane packs and first aid kits for sale and crappy content. I was thinking like the Tomshardware.com except with survival gear and resources up to date maps of wilderness areas and a few recommended places to go hiking and camping. Along with survival guides and related readings.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Modemizer
If you're interested in some survivalist ebooks PM me. I will find them for you.

Good luck!

Thank you, I will take you up on that.I appreciate you being helpful

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I think survival is not pinned down to just anarchy situations. I think hunting,camping,hiking,boating and many more other related topics are fair game for posting content about as far as survival goes. And possibly a forum for people to talk about their survival experiences and close brushes with danger and how they made it.

[edit on 9-4-2007 by Digital_Reality]

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Browse some of the threads here. I'm sure you could come up with a lot of interesting info to put on your site based on the kind of questions posted here.

I would definitely be interested in this site of yours. U2U me the address when it is up an running.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Thank you for your support. I will definitely keep anyone that is interested informed.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   
First off, good luck with it.

I'd urge you to keep it fairly simple: Basic survival tips. Shelter, fire starting, edible plants.

Break it down into Urban, and Rural. For Urban survival tips: Gardening, fertilizers, alternate energy sources, security-both passive and active. For Rural: Mapreading, hunting tips, trap making, etc... You can have more advanced stuff along these lines for the more experianced.

Hope this is at least somewhat helpful.

Have fun.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I 3rd the motion for a edible/medicinal plants database. That alone could be in depth enough to warrant its own full site. A sort of Flash map of the world broken down by countries, climates, regions, states, seasons and use until you get a nice color photo with clear descriptions. Maybe a 360 degree photo.

Even after all that I cant say Id trust it enough to run into the woods and start grabbing at mushrooms

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
if your interested in survival ebooks I host some on my survival site your more then welcome to download them and host them on your site as well.
my survival site
Its a work in progress it should be fully up and running in a couple of weeks. any advise is welcomed

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I have some ebooks as well. Although they may not be suitable for public domain, they can be culled for info. Lemme know how and where to send them. This site is huge with survival info, you could do interview articles of interested members here. Many have world class experience to share.

I would like to read about hunting in the urban scene.
Maybe traps & snares, fishing and small game.

Also maybe an area with scenarios where you could explain from beginning to end how to use your knowledge during a sit x.

I wish you luck with this project.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Well I finally threw something together for my survival site. Its new and I hope it will grow and attract people who like survival gear like me. Tell me what you think. I'm currently downloading as many survival guides as I can and am also working on the front page.

I suck at graphic design and am having a hard time making a good looking logo so I'm kind of at a standstill on the front page right now. I can code all day in .html and .php but cant make a lousy logo .

Thanks for the help from the previous posters who provided some of the ebooks I will be making available.

Link

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by NSBiz

No way, product reviews are essential. I frequently find myself buying exploration gear that have 1 or 2 reviews from some goober in Oregon that goes camping once a year.

We need a survivalist forum. You could design it like ATS kind of. Different subject areas could be about trapping, fire, water, shelter, event preparedness, weapons, etc...

Then, you could include links to survival gear that are widely known to be of quality or certain value. Reputable dealers could be listed with comprehensive reviews by users about products offered.

Also, you could divide the forum topics by geographic region. This filter would offer a way for survivalists around the globe to attain their specific knowledge about attaining water in the Sahara vs. The North Slope, for example.

I'll watch this thread so if I have anymore ideas...

Also, I could list the best to worst and everything between of the gear I have used with a good review for your site. Give me the notion you are serious and I will help...

[edit on 11/21/2007 by Anubis Kanubis]

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 09:03 PM
link   
well i personally have made comprehensive plans in case of an anarchy situation, from supplies to Wea pons, and i created a map of my neighbourhood outlining safe areas, planning out routes, places to be defended and such,

so i would suggest that you suggest for people to make these types of arrangements, especially the map thing which you can get from google maps

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Its defiantly going to be geared towards product reviews. The front page will reflect that more. I just threw this up to get started. I am going to add some sections on the forums for survival gear reviews. Thanks for the input.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   
the topic is an important one and the more people putting out the information the better.

the issue is how place-oriented the topic is. it is great that people are asking for edibles and medicinals but the problem is they differ so dramatically as yu pass through the various ecozones of this country. i live at 8000 up in the sangre de cristo mtns, 50 miles from here the plant communities are dramatically different. so the issue is creating working knowledge of the plant communities where you live.

having maps of where you live and weapons to defend yourself seems like a good idea, but survival is not going to take place in urban areas when the # hits... sure some people will eek it out there but returning to the natural world is where it is going to be at.

shelter, water, food. in that order, that is how you survive.

the #1 cause of death for people in survival situations is exposure.
#2 dehydration.
#3 starvation.

just google "tracking and survival" and look at what people are teaching.

i say all this because if you are going to create a survival site, you have a responsibility to be thorough. dont mislead people, like so many others, by referencing first aid kits, bomb shelters, and other such single minded crap.

thats my $0.02...

edit: reading this later it sounds really harsh! i dont mean to come off as an ass and i apologize if my wording offended anyone...

[edit on 23-11-2007 by Animal]

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Would your site also provide a list of specific locations where one might hook up with in case of a catastrophic event? There is always strength in numbers.

I want to survive and I need basic skills and a mentor.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Yes I'm currently working on that!
Ive made more changes but am still stuck on a logo.
If anyone is interested in helping me design a logo u2u me please. I'm a coder not a designer.

Thank you angeryamerican for your contribution!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join