It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. to Take Legal Action Against China over Piracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 05:51 AM
link   

U.S. to Take Legal Action Against China over Piracy

www.cnn.com

The White House is planning a major announcement this week involving two complaints to the World Trade Organization accusing China of unfair trade practices, two senior administration officials said Sunday.

The United States is taking formal legal action after months of urging China to crack down on pirated copies of U.S. films, music and software brought little consequence, the officials said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 05:51 AM
link   
This is laughable if it were not so pathetic, the U.S. can't control piracy within it's own borders let alone force china to do anything about it. What is concerning is the potential for straining relations with China even further than they already are.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9-4-2007 by the_sentinal]

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 07:12 AM
link   
China has been cracking down, but its a tough thing to do. Majority of countries are having the same problem.

The United States is going to end up pushing China too hard.

[edit on 9-4-2007 by infinite]

apc

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 07:40 AM
link   
More serious than their media piracy is their patent piracy.

While I may not approve of sending product assembly to China, when you're making a few million of a particular circuit board, you might have to. Domestic production can be too expensive. But sending the job to China, you can practically guarantee that if they have your PCB and bill of materials, they will reverse engineer your circuit and start copying it. Then they flood the market with the stolen design and you're SOL because it's hard to compete with yourself at a cheaper price.

So the lesson is... avoid sending work to China at all costs.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   
First the USA announces it will begin adding tariffs to Chinese Made imported goods, that was a shock in itself. Now Piracy. Wow something's going on between the two Countries, wondering if NK has any part in the two decisions? China's got to be fuming especially the Tariff issue as that has the potential to really sting them on export numbers. an extreme example of how might be:

Sold at Walmart (example):
......................China Made Shirt: 10.00
........................USA made Shirt: 20.00
US Duty added China made shirt: 21.00

Dallas

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dallas
China's got to be fuming especially the Tariff issue as that has the potential to really sting them on export numbers. an extreme example of how might be:

Sold at Walmart (example):
......................China Made Shirt: 10.00
........................USA made Shirt: 20.00
US Duty added China made shirt: 21.00

Dallas

Wow, are you saying it's time to by American goods again?? We should have been buying american all along, I know some people who boycott walmart just because they hurt american goods so badly by flooding their stores with Chinese goods. the US may be pushing these economic buttons for other reasons, I wonder how China will respond to this move???

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 11:10 PM
link   
The Chinese have been slow implementing their economic reforms, but if they would just allow the Yuan a broader float...I'm pretty sure tensions would ease, and everyone could go back to business as usual...for another year, or so anyways.

Oh...I forgot, we're closing in on the 08 elections...never-mind.

In all seriousness, I expect to see a little [Yuan] capitulation soon.

Peace &
Good Fortune
OBE1

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I dont see China tackling the piracy issue anytime soon even if they do, the pirates will just move to other countries where the laws will allow them to do their business unfettered and able to grow. The internet is making smaller more liberal countries inviting to those who want to take advantage of copyright infringment as a means of gain through lax laws on the issue.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Here's an update on China's reaction to the U.S. filings, In short, their pissed off...here's the link to the story

In Beijing, the Xinhua News Agency reported that that the Chinese government "expressed on Tuesday great regret and strong dissatisfaction" at the U.S. decision to file the complaints.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Dollar Falls on Worry of Damaged Trade Relations with China:
Chinese Ministry of Commerce Wang Xinpei responded by saying that "China very much regrets the decision and is strongly displeased", and such complaint will "severely damage" trade relations.
Fulltext: /2bjccs

Fallout from the piracy issue already visible on the Forex exchange last night...China flexes it's biceps...the Dollar trades dangerously low.

Peace &
Good Fortune
OBE1

And a great way to end the 1st quarter of 2007.......

[edit on 10-4-2007 by OBE1]

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Well, we have to wait and see what the big red wolf decides to do. China is pretty pissed, I think the US REALLY needs to stop pushing them.

All countries have a piracy problem and the US blaming China isn't going to help.

EKKKK!!!!

"not a sensible move for the US government to file such a complaint"

"By doing so, the US has ignored the Chinese government's immense efforts and great achievements in strengthening intellectual property rights protection and tightening enforcement of its copyright laws," the commissioner added.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

news.bbc.co.uk...

This reminds me of my history lessons at school regarding the British Empire. Every time a nation did a economic move against the British, we either a)invaded them or b) naval blockade.

But this hasn't even made a scratch on the Chinese. The Chinese trade is starting to slowly move away from the United States with the European Union heading to become their biggest trading partner. This will only encourage the Chinese to dump the dollar quicker.

[edit on 10-4-2007 by infinite]

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I am sure the piracy is a big issue, but I can't get away from thinking that this wont really hurt them enough to worry about. Because the yen in not directly tied to the world economy they can set it just about where ever they want. China can also take far greater strides to change any import laws and tariffs or policy set by the U.S. then what the U.S. has done to any imports from China.

top topics

join