It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airlines Ponder Lawsuit Against Airbus for Overweight A340

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Airlines Ponder Lawsuit Against Airbus for Overweight A340

www.theaustralian.news.com.au

AIRLINES are considering suing Airbus after the aircraft manufacturer warned them that the front-end of the A340-600 was dangerously overweight, The Times of London has learnt.

The problem is caused by heavier than expected first and business-class areas and airlines have been told to reduce the amount of cargo they carry to rebalance the aircraft.

The first and business class sections on some A340-600s are so heavy that they are pushing the jet’s nose down during flight, which can play havoc with the aerodynamics and potentially endanger passengers and crew. Flying nose down also increases drag off the wings and forces the aircraft to burn more fuel.

Airbus has recommended that airlines carry about five tonnes less cargo in the front of the plane to compensate, a reduction of nearly 10 per cent in its total cargo capacity.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4/9/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Sounds like more trouble for Airbus. If the plane doesn't perform safely as advertised, I would say the airlines probably have a good claim.

www.theaustralian.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Yikes, according to the information I found the 600 vartiation first entered service in 2002 and it took them five years to figure out it is over weight in the nose
Sounds like a coverup to me

Variants
Initially there were two models of A340, the A340-200 and A340-300. The 200 is shorter than the 300 and has a smaller capacity but can fly farther. In 1997, Airbus launched two lengthened variants of the A340, the ultra-long-range -500 and high-capacity -600 series. Both of these models entered airline service in 2002.

Airbus Facts Dates and History

new topics

join