It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should marijuana be legalized.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   
In most states by law posessing less than one ounce of marijuana is a misdemeanor. Also the use of marijuana in the medical field is becoming more and more excepted.

There is no scientific proof that marijuana is addictive, no doubt it is habit forming, but it shows no signs of physical dependence.

I smoke weed, and admit it with pride.

I can drive, go to work and function in any public place while being high. On the other hand if im drunk I could not do any of those things.

How many alcohol related deaths are caused a year in the united states? 100,000

On average in the united states less than 200 deaths are recorded where marijuana was the only drug in the victims system. Not to mention there has never been a single recorded death caused by an overdose of marijuana.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   
In my opinion, yes it should be legalized, as well as all drugs.

However, there should be restrictions just as we have with alcohol.

You may be able to function fine under the influence, but everyone
is different, and therefore we would need such a law.

For me I think it should be legalized because I believe in absolute freedom, so long as you are not directly non-consentually interfering
with anothers freedom, and as such laws against drugs are wrong and
violate that.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Yes, it should.

The only reason it is not currently in my opinion is moral reasons (and perhaps corporate greed but lets not go there). Considering alcohol is pretty much the same (worse in some opinions) and is legal it really makes no sense to me. Having it be 21+ regulated, safe, secure, taxable, all will mean that less kids get access to it (For example, when I was a teenager getting weed or any illegal drug was 100x easier than getting beer or cigarettes for that matter).

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Yes weed should be legal, but it won’t be.
The government will never legalize marijuana because they would never be able to control it. Unlike alcohol that requires some degree of skill, weed only needs to be planted and harvested, yes pro growers get better product but amateurs can grow decent bud as well. Unable to tax it the government would rather ban it and score points with people hat it with out really knowing anything about it.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
For medical purposes, yes, I am in favore of it.
For retail sale? No.
I also disagree about it not being addictive. I have seen way too many who just smoked pot, and lets just say when they did not have it, it was if they went from nice to pure mean and violent as if they were going through detox.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   
If America ever returns to it's Constitutional Republic status. Which, probably will never happen. You can bet some states would legalize it. As of now with our dominate Federal Government. It will never be legal. Too many agencies devoted to snuffing out this God given, natural, evil herb. Also, it's too damn easy to grow in your backyard. If they can't tax it and make money off it. They would rather keep it illegal and make money off it.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Make it like a can of beer. You have to be 21. Has to be made of a certain quality. Has to have certain standards. You make someone sick, die because of your product you are open to getting sued in court. This would make the United states a lot safer. The novelty of drugs would wear off. There wouldn't be so many people dieing everyday because of it. Sure there would be od's, just like there are people who drink themselves to death. It's called Natural Selection. Survial of the fittest.

Everyone who believes in god and "Free Will" should be for the legalization. It should be up to the person to chose their own path in life. Do you want to be a druggy or not.

Why do you think the gangs of the US are so powerfull. They make money selling drugs. We could us the law in forcement to only nail the ones who are doing it to children, and moonshinning their own batches.

[edit on 9-4-2007 by Royal76]

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blitz
I smoke weed, and admit it with pride.

I can drive, go to work and function in any public place while being high. On the other hand if im drunk I could not do any of those things.

I have no issue with the use of medical marijuana, as it has been authorized here in California. That being said it doesn't mean the use of marijuana has no effect on your body and your reaction time. Depending on the amount and how recently you've smoked marijuana driving your vehicle could be just as dangerous as driving intoxicated.

If you get pulled over and fail a roadside sobriety test then you'll will still be guilty of Driving Under the Influence (of marijuana), at least that's how it works here in California. Same goes for a lot of legalized narcotics, like vicadin.

Be careful.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I don't think the government has any right to tell me what I can ingest. But political ideology aside, I think it would save us a whole lot of money by making this legal, as well as make it open for taxation.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mxyztplk
Yes weed should be legal, but it won’t be.
The government will never legalize marijuana because they would never be able to control it. Unlike alcohol that requires some degree of skill, weed only needs to be planted and harvested, yes pro growers get better product but amateurs can grow decent bud as well. Unable to tax it the government would rather ban it and score points with people hat it with out really knowing anything about it.

I beg to differ here, a marijuana plant isnt just a toss in the ground and forget about it plant. You have to think about both male and female plants, can be fairly complicated when it comes to indoor growing, but does occur naturally. You hit the nail on the had with the tax thing, no need to go there.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I think that all drugs should be legal. It's time for some personal responsibility in this nation.

www.abovepolitics.com...'" target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">Drugs

Then main reason that I think drugs should be legalizied is that it would take the money(crime) out of drugs.

[edit on 10-4-2007 by Wildbob77]

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
I think that all drugs should be legal. It's time for some personal responsibility in this nation.

www.abovepolitics.com...'" target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">Drugs

Then main reason that I think drugs should be legalizied is that it would take the money(crime) out of drugs.

Ummm, I dont know about that. While it is my belief that the government is not there to protect one from his or herself, some drugs are just plain horrible. Such as meth and coc aine(even though it does have some medical applications as a local anesthetic) should remain illegal, but penalties should be reduced for possession, but remain high for distribution. The fact is that the solution for the drug problem lies in one place and one place alone, the home and family.

I do think drugs such as marijuana and some hallucinogenics should be legal, there should be some regulation to them much as there is alcohol and penalties for these should be eliminated eccept for while operating a vehicle under their influence. With the laws on the books now, if you get caught growing pot you can be imprisoned for 10 years and have your property taken, not right in my opinion and I think most will agree. I believe it is an issue of personal responsibility, but in truth, how much do you really trust other people to be responsible?

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Absolutely.

The only reason that this substance has not been legalized is the fact that it has been villified by the goverment, and every other agency.

The fact of the matter is that there are many other substances that are legal that are far far worse than marijuana. Alcohol, cigarettes, diet pills, ect. are all worse than marijuana, however these are all readily available to anyone that has a dollar or two, while marijuana is still viewed as a criminal substance, only used by people that are at the bottom of the societal barrel.

If marijuana were to be legalized, it would bring much needed relief to the destruction of the rainforests, and would provide vital tax dollars to the economy.

This has worked for the dutch very successfully. By legalizing soft drugs such a marijuana and mushrooms, they have taken the focus off of the substances which people were being villified for, and focusing more heavily on the hard drugs and narcotics which bring about most of the criminals and violence in the world.

This would have happened a long time ago had the people in charge not been so out of the loop, thinking that this drug is such a blight on society that it should be kept out of the hands of the innocent forever. Just look at Reefer Madness...We are still living in that mentality when it has been shown that there are various uses for hemp that could lighten the burden in other areas.

For me this question is a no-brainer. Of course it should!

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Don Wahn
Absolutely.

The only reason that this substance has not been legalized is the fact that it has been villified by the goverment, and every other agency.

The fact of the matter is that there are many other substances that are legal that are far far worse than marijuana. Alcohol, cigarettes, diet pills, ect. are all worse than marijuana, however these are all readily available to anyone that has a dollar or two, while marijuana is still viewed as a criminal substance, only used by people that are at the bottom of the societal barrel.

If marijuana were to be legalized, it would bring much needed relief to the destruction of the rainforests, and would provide vital tax dollars to the economy.

This has worked for the dutch very successfully. By legalizing soft drugs such a marijuana and mushrooms, they have taken the focus off of the substances which people were being villified for, and focusing more heavily on the hard drugs and narcotics which bring about most of the criminals and violence in the world.

This would have happened a long time ago had the people in charge not been so out of the loop, thinking that this drug is such a blight on society that it should be kept out of the hands of the innocent forever. Just look at Reefer Madness...We are still living in that mentality when it has been shown that there are various uses for hemp that could lighten the burden in other areas.

For me this question is a no-brainer. Of course it should!

Agree, the research done during the Carter and Nixon admins were suppressed after the finding werent what they wanted. Wasnt a politically viable option to come out and say marijuana is pretty much harmless.

Very true as well, but I wouldnt say that it is only used by the bottom of the barrell. Youd be surprised who smokes pot. Its a shame its against the T&C to go into personal experiences, this could be a lot more interesting.

I've read about the coorelation between the war on drugs and the destruction of the rainforest, interesting stuff. As we destroy drug cartels crops, they move into the forest and destroy a ceratin area to replant. Many people have good reason to be against the war on drugs, fiscal conservatives, environmental conservationists, law enforcement officers, the list could go on.

I never agreed that people should be villified for what they put into their own bodies. Ever see the films from the 40's and 50's that told you marijuana made you go crazy and turn into a killer?
Ask any cop if they would rather deal with a stoned person, or a drunk person.

Its really all about money, the Marijuana tax act passed in 1937 is what really made it illegal. Such a complete terd of a piece of legislation. It said that you could sell, grow, and possess marijuana as long as you bought a voucher that was basically a reciept that you paid taxes on it, only they werent ever going to issue any of them anyhow. Pretty underhanded political play.

No #, our criminal justice system would be a half a million prisoners lighter. The average cost in the US for keeping someone in prison for a year is 30k. Think about the money, manypower, and other resources that could be saved from decriminalization.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ludaChris
I've read about the coorelation between the war on drugs and the destruction of the rainforest, interesting stuff. As we destroy drug cartels crops, they move into the forest and destroy a ceratin area to replant. Many people have good reason to be against the war on drugs, fiscal conservatives, environmental conservationists, law enforcement officers, the list could go on.

First I've heard of this. I guess it makes pretty damn good sense though. I've always thought of Industrial Hemp. You can't even grow industrial hemp in this country for paper purposes. I'm sure there are some strong logging industry lobbyists out there protecting their interests against industrial hemp as well.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 06:07 PM
link   
The government has a long list of drugs at its disposal to control people (which I cannot locate at the moment), but marijuana was listed as one that they cannot use for mind control, which is why they don't want people using it.

Another idea that I've come up with is that the government is trying to get everyone on dangerous prescription drugs that will cause lots of medical problems in order to keep the Big Pharma revenue wheel turning. People who consume natural foods and substances do not get sick, therefore, they have to control it. And yes, they are trying to get control of the healthy food supply as well.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by annestacey
The government has a long list of drugs at its disposal to control people (which I cannot locate at the moment), but marijuana was listed as one that they cannot use for mind control, which is why they don't want people using it.

Another idea that I've come up with is that the government is trying to get everyone on dangerous prescription drugs that will cause lots of medical problems in order to keep the Big Pharma revenue wheel turning. People who consume natural foods and substances do not get sick, therefore, they have to control it. And yes, they are trying to get control of the healthy food supply as well.

Not buyin it. Its much easier to contol a populace by control of information than by forcing them to ingest certain things. It comes down to money, and that is it. They cant regulate and tax it as they want to, so they simply outlaw it.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Here are some good links about the war on drugs, some good info. Take a look, theres a good bit about marijuana on these pages.

Drug Policy Alliance
DrugSense
The Faile "Drug War"

Just for starters, that should get anyone interested started.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ludaChris
Not buyin it. Its much easier to contol a populace by control of information than by forcing them to ingest certain things. It comes down to money, and that is it. They cant regulate and tax it as they want to, so they simply outlaw it.

You have no idea how wrong you are. The government is already forcing us to ingest a lot of things. They just don't tell us. That's why you don't know about it. You would be very wise to educate yourself on this.

The mass poisoning of humanity: an exploration of human stupidity

Disease-promoting ingredients in everyday foods and groceries are far more dangerous than terrorists

Even better... Get the full spectrum of what they are doing to us (it's your right to know):
www.newstarget.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by annestacey
You have no idea how wrong you are. The government is already forcing us to ingest a lot of things. They just don't tell us. That's why you don't know about it. You would be very wise to educate yourself on this.

The mass poisoning of humanity: an exploration of human stupidity

Disease-promoting ingredients in everyday foods and groceries are far more dangerous than terrorists

Even better... Get the full spectrum of what they are doing to us (it's your right to know):
www.newstarget.com...

Yeah, because I get sick all of the time. I get sick on average of once a year, and thats when fall changes to winter usually. Nice conspiracy theories and all, but still not buyin it. Just sounds like another shot in the dark to me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join