It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Suppressed Cartridge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I though I had seen it all for suppressed weapons, from the Gyrojet to the Delisle carbine, but this one is new to me.

world.guns.ru...-3_PZAM

Stechkin developed a special type of ammunition, which required no silencer to be fired silently. The major source of the sound of gunshot is the large volume of hot gases, violently expanding from the muzzle and creating a sound wave. Stechkin avoided this problem by encapsulating the blast of the propellant within the cartridge case

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 8/4/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 11:24 PM
link   
It has been some years back but I recall reading about this principle being utilized by some American companys to silence shotgun shells.

It was a military requirement and used a brass 12 gauge size telescoping principle to make a silenced shotgun. It too had limited success and seems to have died off.

I do not believe this type of thing is utilized much anymore in lieu of new silencer technology in place. New materials and designs are in place nowdays and are a quantum leap above and beyond what was available in past years.

There are rifles and pistols in existance today for special applications in which the whole barrel is a silencer.

This example the Green Hornet rifle is an example.

www.snipercentral.com...

There are others out here. THese rifles work well with specialty ammo but many also work well in silenced mode with regular issue ammo.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I would have to say that you are quiete wrong sir.

SP series cartriges are still in use today, new weapons are developed as well as updated/modernized cartridges.

Integrated silincers have been in use for years.
With SP ammo you could have a 3inch barrel, and still be able to fire more silently than you would with a suppressed gun.
It is also more practical for undercover ops to carry a suppressed gun which is roughly 6in in length and still punches holes through armor.

Best regards.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 02:14 AM
link   
You may be correct here and I may be wrong.

What I am refering to mostly is this telescoping type ammo as seen in the pictures. This is also how this shotgun shell I was describing worked.

To my limited knowlege most supressed ammunition today is downloaded to certain specifications to aid in supressing sound/subsonic. Or in some cases the silencer is a multi staged type for bleeding off gases while also supressing sound and velocity utilizing standard ammunition. Some of this is trade confidential as to the technology of how it is done and not generally available to the public.

As I also understand it there are today some new and innovative ways to attach silencers by some kind of precision quick disconnect instead of the olde threaded types. Pretty slick on the part of some manufacturers. Also again the number of shots between major disassemblys and maintenance has gone up considerably verses older technology. I found it very intresting and informative to discover that the technology has changed this field considerably.

Yes..agree there are some new weapons out there. Some substantially improved over say some ..20 years ago.

It is a intresting topic though somewhat of an in trade type knowlege.

Thanks,
Orangetom

top topics

join