It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Warming makes no sense to me!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Now I recently saw failed politician/turned director Al Gore's movie an Inconvnient Truth and it failed to persuade me into believing that Gloabal warming is real.
I don't see how the human race is going to create a huge climate shift which would normally take thousands of years in 100-200 years.
Also how is the planet getting getting hotter going to cause a new ice age as some people are arguing explain that one

Also people seem to be forgetting that the human race is not some bizzare alien force lifeform that has suddenly appered on this planet, we are a part of this planet and it's eco-system we live in and adapt to it, just as it adapts and co-exists with us.

But anyway im not a scientist nor a member of so my argument isn't solid i would like some feedback and like to see what everyone else thinks?

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ozvulcan

Also people seem to be forgetting that the human race is not some bizzare alien force lifeform that has suddenly appered on this planet, we are a part of this planet and it's eco-system we live in and adapt to it, just as it adapts and co-exists with us.

Perhaps this has been so, but since when did crocodiles and butterflies build factories and travel around in vehicles that spew pollution?

Are you honestly saying that the part when he gets on the cherry picker didn't even open your eyes just a little bit?

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Listen Al Gore most likely doesn't give a crap about Global Warming!
He's a failed politician and is just using the subject of Global Warming so he has something to rave on about to get him back into the media's therfore publics eye

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Now I recently saw failed politician/turned director Al Gore's movie an Inconvnient Truth and it failed to persuade me into believing that Gloabal warming is real.

There is little doubt that global warming is real. The cause is the issue for some.

I don't see how the human race is going to create a huge climate shift which would normally take thousands of years in 100-200 years.
Also how is the planet getting getting hotter going to cause a new ice age as some people are arguing explain that one

Well, we have released an amount of CO2 in a couple fo hundred years that is comparable to a few thousand years as we leave an ice-age.

Roughly, we see a change in CO2 from 180ppm up to 280ppm. This takes a few thousand years.

We have released a similar amount, from 280ppm up to 380ppm, in a couple of hundred years. This is an unprecedented change. And it is still increasing.

CO2 is a greenhouse gas. It does trap heat. It will have some effect. A few believe it will be a minor effect, most accept the science it will be significant. Others who believe it will have none, or cannot have an effect, are pretty much out the game. Even Richard Lindzen accepts it will have some effect, he just thinks it will be insignificant for whatever personal reason.

Then we have other effects of human activity that are important.

One of the possibilities of predicted melting icecaps and increased rainfall is a change of atlantic currents, due to increased freshwater. At the moment, the gulfstream keep NW Europe pretty warm. If this current disappears, then NW Europe is likely cool significantly. Models suggest it could start to happen about 2100. So, it's unlikely to happen soon and is just a possiblity at this point.

We would have entered a new ice-age eventually anyway, as we are in an interglacial period, but who knows what will happen now? However, we would expect orbital variations to eventually bring on a new ice age in time.

But, of course, even other animals can alter habitats beyond recognition. And you are correct, the earth will adapt to us. The few billion humans with dirty toys, and a habit a destroying ecosystems, are helping in a change of equilibrium towards a warmer planet. That is its adaptation.

[edit on 8-4-2007 by melatonin]

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Well the earth has always been changing and shifting and its not gonna stop for us. But we do have an impact whether big or small and to say otherwise would mean your a fool. A few things we do might not make a big difference by themselves but when you got 6.6 billion humans, well that changes everything.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   
ozvulcan, I think - with all due respect - that you need to get your facts straight. First of all, global warming is a reality - that is, the Earth is, on average, getting warmer. The linked graphs below represent 140 years of global temperatures and 1000 years of Northern Hemisphere temperatures (there's more data for the North).

So average temperatures have, in recent history, been increasing at a pace we have never witnessed before - that's not to say they've reached highs we've never seen before, but they are much higher much more consistently than in the past, and these highs are continuing to increase.

So, the Earth is getting warmer. The real question now is: To what degree are humans causing global warming?

That's a question no one can answer, at least not truthfully. We don't know - weather and climate are complex, and we don't entirely understand them. But - as other posters above have noted - humans have been pumping remarkable amounts of CO2 and other greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere for a couple hundred years now.

What frustrates me most about this so-called "debate" about global warming is that many people seem more concerned about assigning blame than about actually doing something about the problem. The United States seems to have set up a false binary when discussing this problem: Either global warming is caused by people or it is part of a larger climatic trend.

It doesn't have to be one or the other - it could be both. And, in any case, it doesn't matter who or what is responsible for global warming, because we have to do something about it either way. There are 300 million people on this planet who live within 5 meters of average sea level. Unless we want to help relocate 300 million refugees, we need to do something about this problem, and soon.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
the options have been presented to us:

engage in a organized Global assault on the conditions making the
environment and climate a threatning force towards human life

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ OR ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

become a chunk of meat in the Global War on Terror doomsday machine

Those are the choices the NWO elites & directors have set before us,

get out and Vote!

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Listen Al Gore most likely doesn't give a crap about Global Warming!
He's a failed politician and is just using the subject of Global Warming so he has something to rave on about to get him back into the media's therfore publics eye

Maybe he is.
If so, it still has jack squat to do with the reality of global warming. We have one dude, out of many, many thousands of other dudes and dudettes, talking about this situation.

You then judge the situation off of his party affiliation ("failed politician" by butt).

top topics

join