It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So wait one second.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I saw an article in the washington post at section A3, and it got me wondering.

If a US Citizen can be tried in an Iraq court and kept ransom and be charged for murder for no apparent reason... does that mean that all of our country can be tried for a crime that they did not commit and be in front of a judge, that completely ignores the U.S constitution?

Shouldn't they be having this court in the U.S?

OR should this be considered an act of war, for holding one of the members of our army hostage. Even though we voted the leader of the iraqi government into office, they say that they are our allies yet they pledge allegiance to Al-quaeda.

They say they are our allies, when at the same time, they say that they cannot let one of our men go even though he did nothing wrong.

The person who I am referencing to is one of the prime victim of ransom.

The article was called "US citizen gets sentanced to death and loses appeal in Iraq" I think.

But the article was in the first few pages in the post... the guy asked for haebous corpous even and they didn't give it to him!

I wonder why!

So does this mean that we do not need to guarantee other people from foreign countries their rights in a court of law as their constitution does not apply to them here?

[edit on 7-4-2007 by Maverickhunter]

[edit on 7-4-2007 by Maverickhunter]

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Don't know what article you are referring to, a link would be nice. but in general, if a person comits a crime in another country, they are tried in that country. Why wouldn't they be?

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maverickhunter
I saw an article in the washington post at section A3, and it got me wondering.

? link?       ?source?

If a US Citizen can be tried in an Iraq court and kept ransom and be charged for murder for no apparent reason... does that mean that all of our country can be tried for a crime that they did not commit and be in front of a judge, that completely ignores the U.S constitution?

No, Iraqi court vs US court ... their rules vs our rules.

Shouldn't they be having this court in the U.S?

Why? The alleged crime was committed on Iraqi soil ... in their jurisdiction.

OR should this be considered an act of war, for holding one of the members of our army hostage. Even though we voted the leader of the iraqi government into office, they say that they are our allies yet they pledge allegiance to Al-quaeda.

Not as a hostage, as a convicted prisoner [inmate] ... Allegiance to Al-quaeda (?)

The article was called "US citizen gets sentanced to death and loses appeal in Iraq" I think.

But the article was in the first few pages in the post... the guy asked for haebous corpous even and they didn't give it to him!

I wonder why!

Does Iraqi law acknowledge said "habeas corpus"?

So does this mean that we do not need to guarantee other people from foreign countries their rights in a court of law as their constitution does not apply to them here?

Anyone found guilty of violating a given country or nation's law will typically be tried on just that ... the given country or nation's laws. Ours, theirs, etc ...

Without a source or link to the specifics, one can only postulate on that which you've provided ... that an American has been found guilty of that which is illegal in the governing jurisdiction, punishable by death.

A source, link, or documentation would be most helpful. Otherwise, it's all speculation and armchair quarterbacking ...

???

[edit on 8-4-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   
No... link, it was an article from that day that I posted on section A3 I will have to do the best with that. Just trust me on this. The person pleaded haebeous corpeous even though he was in another country.

mod edit: removed huge quote

[edit on 10-4-2007 by UK Wizard]

Cug

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maverickhunter
No... link, it was an article from that day that I posted on section A3 I will have to do the best with that. Just trust me on this. The person pleaded haebeous corpeous even though he was in another country.

Did you think to check their website?

Linky

"American citizenship cannot displace the fact of a criminal conviction in a non-United States court and permit the district court to exercise jurisdiction over Munaf's habeas petition," Judge David B. Sentelle wrote for the panel, concluding that U.S. courts have "no power or authority to hear this case."

Seems like common sense to me.

top topics

join