posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 02:24 PM
Charles the billionaire goes into space today: April 7 2007
• Fifth space tourist Charles Simonyi made his fortune in computers
• Helped to develop commonly used word processing and spreadsheet programs
• Simonyi learned the basics of programming on a clunky Soviet-era computer
• Blast-off is set for April 7; he will spend 11 days in space
one link: cnn
Note: link (link is experiencing very high traffic today)
Decades before helping to write the computer programs that led to Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel, Charles Simonyi learned the basics of
programming on a clunky Soviet-era computer called Ural-2.
Next month, the U.S. billionaire programmer will carry a paper-tape memento from that first computer and put his faith in the heirs to that Soviet-era
technology when he blasts into space aboard a Soyuz rocket to become the world's fifth space tourist.
"I will take one of those paper tapes with me to remind me where it all started," Simonyi told reporters at Russia's Star City cosmonaut
preparation center Thursday.
Simonyi's skill at computers and his work in helping to develop the world's most commonly used word processing and spreadsheet programs earned him
enough money to spare more than $20 million to become the world's fifth "space tourist," set to blast off early next month.
• American space tourist Charles Simonyi scheduled to fly into space Saturday
• Billionaire software designer paid $20 -$25 million for trip
• Longtime friend Martha Stewart came to Kazakhstan to see him off
• Stewart chose menu for crew's Cosmonaut Day meal
[edit on 7-4-2007 by theutahbigfoothunter]