It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are alien eyes so large?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by lurkinggherkin
How do you know that those things are eyes?

True, snakes have “pit organs”. In pit vipers, which have only two pit holes (one in front of each eye), a block of about 1,600 sensory cells lie on a membrane which has a field of view of about 100 degrees. This means the snake’s brain would receive an image resolution of about 2.5 degrees for pointlike objects, such as eyes, which are one of the hottest points on mammals. So maybe these are not eyes at all but some type of organ to detect infra red, and they are so large so they can get some kind of resolution, who knows? If anybody does, they are not telling me!

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Greys by all accounts are skinny and have large almond eyes that may or may not be sheathed in a protective cover. The skinny neck says it all - it doesn't connect to the skull very robustly. Not much of a throat. I'd say it might be a safe bet that such a being would come from an environment that was very low gravity.

From NASA's own human studies on the loss of bone and muscle mass one might imagine the reciprocal, that a high G environment would be conducive to "stockier" more athletic and/or larger body types with more powerful musculature to support the loads? Maybe not. NASA Bone Loss Study.

But I would not disagree with uber' that the Grey are engineered or somehow produced in a generic manner. In fact abductee accounts claim several sizes or perhaps castes is a better term. Some tall and more insect like are claimed to be the supra-ordinates of the smaller more numerous "standard Grey". If they are demonstrably a potential threat I wanna see some dead one's.

The Brazilian accounts of the Red-Eyed Grey is freaky - just didn't have the "contacts" in that day? LOL. Or might they be a different beast altogether? Varginha Grey - Artist Rendition

What could you make out of dead alien-hide? Eyeball piggy banks and change pouches, dessicated arm back-scratchers? Skull bongs? I wonder what grey tastes like cooked? Didn't Keith Richards snort his dead relative? Hmmm... alien marching powder?LOL

Vic

[edit on 8-4-2007 by V Kaminski]

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by V Kaminski
Snip... I'd say it might be a safe bet that such a being would come from an environment that was very low gravity.

Snip... But I would not disagree with uber' that the Grey are engineered or somehow produced in a generic manner. In fact abductee accounts claim several sizes or perhaps castes is a better term. Some tall and more insect like are claimed to be the supra-ordinates of the smaller more numerous "standard Grey".

Vic

Yep, I believe that the little guy's are cloned too, as Uber said, but I don't see anything, at least in the reports that I have read, that says that they have any problems trucking around here on Earth. It would seem to me that they would have hard time doing what they do here, just as we would have a problem strutting around on your anus..errr... Uranus, but, their design might just suggest a minimalist design just for efficiency sake.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 05:36 AM
link   
As for the alien's large eyes.. dim world, red star, evolved from/are nocturnal creatures. All good reasons.

Some critters on our planet have more disproportionately large eyes then the "greys".

As for imbuing mankind with more then he needs.. not completely true.
We have no natural defences like armor, or claws, we aren't that good in climbing trees anymore, we aren't really strong.. (at least a gorilla can squash a lot of things with brute force and still has decent canines) etc etc etc.. this is all being compensated by our intelligence...

The question to me is how did nature arrive at us with the usual idea of how evolution works.
But then I'm open to theories of alternate history with the anunnaki creating us.
gen manipulation would explain, large brain, no natural defences and our apparent relative sicklyness compared to the rest of the animal kingdom.

But back to the topic, spectrum of their sun(s), habit (nocturnal?), dim world... all good reasons to evolve big eyes. (check out some nocturnal animals, absolutely huge eyes on some)

[edit]Their apparent frailty being from evolving on a planet with substantially less gravity sounds very probable to me. What strikes me then though. They are frail because of less gravity on their world, yet in accounts they seem to be able to move and stand quite well unaided on our planet with from their perspective, harsh amounts of gravity? how?[/edit]

[edit on 8-4-2007 by David2012]

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I think it probably has less to do with them having a low gravity homeworld than it does with them living in spacecraft in a zero gravity environment. That might explain their physique.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Ever wondered why there is no nose on greys?

Lets imagine us as amorphoric alien beings on the moon and one day we saw Buzz Aldrin walking on the man. Heck! What strange creature is that? oversized and big with just ONE EYE?!!! A cyclop?

My point is, can the 'head' be just something of a helmut, and the eyes a vizor?

Thing is, we need to capture one of these greys to know for sure, if it even exists and not just some collective figment of imagination.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Hello,

Just going to play the devils advocate here...

What if the 'greys' evolved in a double starred system - and their planet was constantly 'bright' - and had no real night-time. Couldn't it be said that through the evolutionary process they developed some kind of 'filtration' so the light wouldn't hurt their eyes. The 'black lens' covering their eyes could be some sort of membrane to shield their eyes from the bright suns their home world resides near. SO, the sunglasses hypothesis wouldn't be that far out there.

I remember somewhere people stating that they are vegetarians, but their anatomy in an evolved sense differs with that completely. Predatory animals eyes are usually side by side (front facing), while vegetarian animals (herbivores) are usually on the sides of the skull (like cows) - of course this is not true in every case - and this is only talking about mammalian features - so, if the Greys do exist - perhaps they are completely different from any type of animal species we know, since they are alien...

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
They could be wearing some sort of obnoxious space sunglasses.

from what I understand the eyes are lenses yes. intergalactic oakleys

Mod Edit: BB Code.

[edit on 8/4/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   
"victor" who released the alien interview said that the reason why the interview room was dim is becuase the alien is sensitive to light.

so i too think that the reason why they have huge eyes is becuase their home planet is mostly dark, so they adapted to the environment through evolution

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Victor, you mean the puppet alien interview? ^^

Nah, just like to note i'm speculating within the assumption they are real. I don't really believe in greys but keep the possibility in a corner of my mind

Well about the effects of lack of gravity, I know, But since we're assuming greys exist, that they are far ahead of us, then I guess we can assume they can create artificial gravity in their ship.
Hell, technically we could build a ship with artificial gravity using rotation.

[edit on 10-4-2007 by David2012]

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
They could be wearing some sort of obnoxious space sunglasses.

Ohnoes, Space Paris Hiltons !!!!

Skinny, Big Glasses and no.... err.... chests..

Eeeeek....

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 02:18 AM
link   
The big black 'eye spots' seem to be far too large and immobile to be large eyes.

if you want to focus on a clear image then you need to have a lens and an iris
for focusing an image on a retina.

And you need physical articulation in order to be able to move your center
of sight faster than you can move your head.

It seems more reasonable to me that the big black 'eye spots' are more likely some kind of covering, whether natural or artificial, with true eyes located behind.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by mbkennel

The big black 'eye spots' seem to be far too large and immobile to be large eyes.

If you want to focus on a clear image then you need to have a lens and an iris for focusing an image on a retina.

And you need physical articulation in order to be able to move your center
of sight faster than you can move your head.

It seems more reasonable to me that the big black 'eye spots' are more likely some kind of covering, whether natural or artificial, with true eyes located behind.

Yes, tasty, very tasty. All very good points.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Invader
Why are alien eyes so large?

What say you?

Isn't it obvious?

Aliens are really just anime characters in disguise.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 03:06 AM
link   
these small Grays are engineered beings. part biological and part robotic... the eyes are large lenses covering two organic iris/camera-like devices and their eyes are large to let in as much light as possible as most Gray missions are at night because they can't process sunlight very well.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I'm not worried about their big eyes, but why are their butts so flat?

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
I'm not worried about their big eyes, but why are their butts so flat?

haha
- no cajones!!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join